Chicago Police Department

Be The First To
Add Photos

Chicago Police Department Superintendent of Police Garry F. McCarthy

Garry F. McCarthy

My experience with the Chicago Police Department was great!

District Administrative Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI learned a lot about law enforcement and crime.

ConsMany people at higher management level did not always understand the logistics of what was going on at the district level.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to management is simply to employ the resources and recommendations of the officers working day-to-day on the streets before implementing a policy or strategy.

20+ year veteran

Police Officer (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent benefits, good people to work with for the most part.

ConsPoor condition of equipment; lack of patrol cars, all with over 100k miles; lack of in car computers; mismanagement of personnel; poor moral due to out of control political favoritism and corruption.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo the right thing, take care of your employees by providing them with the right equipment to do their job and treating them with respect.

A career choice with never a moment of regret.

Detective (Former Employee)

I worked at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI was a Detective and quickly understood that quality work product and integrity earned one both respect and autonomy. The people I worked with were drawn from a wide and diverse cultural and ethnic background and were amongst the finest and most honorable individuals I have been blessed to have known.

ConsIn retrospect I could think of very few "cons" so to speak. One has to be prepared to sacrifice some aspects of a personal life. As in any organization the occasional mediocre supervisor does exist and it is most important to maintain one's sense of perspective. Advancement in rank is all too often determined by a person's ability to "test well" and too little is done to identify leadership qualities in individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain a sense of integrity and be willing to work as hard as you would expect others to. Remember that loyalty must first come from the top down in order to be reciprocated. Morale is dependent on one's sense of fairness; never succumb to petty favoritism in relationships with personnel.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chicago Police Department

Police Captain (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsA Department full of professionals.

ConsThere is nothing wrong. Stop your whining.

Advice to Senior Managementforge ahead you all make me proud to be a member.

Learned a lot about interacting with others.

Patrolman (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsThere were many opportunities for varied tasks.

ConsHaving some clout helps move you up the ladder.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting based on who the person knows. Counter productive.

Entire career is determined by local democratic politics and politicians.

Captain of Police (Former Employee)

I worked at Chicago Police Department full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSome of the best, most heroic, dedicated to helping their fellow man, people in the world work there and put their lives on the line every single day for decades.

ConsDemocratic politics and racial politics are overwhelmingly negative to the typical employee that tries to better him/herself.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics runs management. If you lose your political advantage, you will lose your job.

My experience has been interesting.

Clerical (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

ProsThe benefits are good in comparison to other organizations.

ConsNo room for advancement for civilians.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management is to use this electronic technological age we are living in to your advantage.

The CPD - a once proud department

Detective (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chicago Police Department

ProsIf you like having a real impact on people's lives this is the job for you. No two days are alike. The pay is good (unless you're getting shot at, spit upon, cursed, sued, or indicted). Great people to work with and lots of fun. Occasionally someone will say thank you.....that makes it all worthwhile.

Cons....getting shot at, spit upon, sued, or indicted....you really can't understand it unless you've been there. The biggest con on this job is the total lack of support from the upper echelon within the department and the city officials

Advice to Senior ManagementHang your collective heads in shame. You now have the police department you asked for. To the good citizens of the city.....arm yourselves!

Good place to work

Detective (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chicago Police Department

ProsHaving job stability is an important part of my career. In this time of economic crisis, it is reasurring that I will not be laid off.The benefits are pretty good. I can retire with a full pension at 29years with 75% of my salary. I don't think you will find that in private industry.

ConsThe department is very political. A significant amount a promotions are Merit (political).

Advice to Senior ManagementFind the real talent within the department and use it. I see a lot of highly qualified people overlooked for assignments. Senior management needs to follow management styles used in major private corporations such as G.E and Motorola. Most high ranking officers have no idea how to motivate the backbone of the police department which is patrol. Maybe a Six Sigma or other quality control certification would help.

A challenging career with many benefits and great experiences

Police Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chicago Police Department

ProsThe salary offered by the police department is very competitive. It is difficult to find a job matching our salary without requiring at least a masters degree. Currently, only 2 years of college or 4 years of active duty military are required. The department also has tuition reimbursement for ALL college classes taken while employed by the city, even those not remotely related to law enforcement. For example, a final grade of an A is 100% reimbursement, B 80%, C 70%. The schedule can be tough on those that are used to working a 9-5 schedule, but the hours are not bad

ConsAs in any industry, sometimes those that get promoted are not the best candidates for the position. This is because promotions are given through testing and merit. Both have their drawbacks. Those who may score high on a test may be very book smart but possess no "street smarts," which is needed to work on the streets. Those that are promoted by merit are sometimes people who don't deserve a promotion, but have many connections to higher ups and clout that. Also, we do work crazy hours, weekends and holidays. New Year eve will almost always be spent at work

Advice to Senior ManagementListen more to the needs of those officers on the street. Many times there are ideas an strategies thought up in an office by a person who has not patrolled the street in many years.

Worked for Chicago Police Department? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chicago Police Department reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chicago Police Department CEO Garry F. McCarthy. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Chicago Police Department employees.