Chicago Public Schools

www.cps.edu

Chicago Public Schools Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Barbara Byrd-Bennett

Pros
  • Working with students and seeing them learn is phenomenal(in 5 reviews)

• The best reason to work at CPS is because you can make a difference in a child's life(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Teachers are lacking the resource support they need to do their jobs efficiently(in 28 reviews)

• Was let go do to budget cuts three weeks before the next school year began, leaving me little time to find another teaching position(in 4 reviews)

123 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Depends on the school

Middle School Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIf you want to work with kids who really need great teachers, CPS has a huge variety of schools to choose from. Many schools in CPS are giving kids in very rough neighborhoods a great education and the chance to really have options and choice in their lives. There are occasional professional development meetings that are helpful and the salaries are pretty good compared to other urban districts. The union is willing to fight, which is necessary in a political system as crazy as Chicago's. There is a good pension program and if you are lucky enough to find a great school with good leadership, you can be part of team that really has an impact on kids who really need good teachers.

ConsThere is enormous dead weight in CPS - bad principals, bad tenured teachers, bad new teachers and an at-times impossible to navigate Central Office. It seems like the folks downtown are constantly being moved around and extraordinarily ineffective school leaders are allowed to continue working while successful, dedicated, experienced (and new) teachers are bullied and left with very limited resources. There is a massive variety of experiences even between schools that are just a few blocks from each other. CPS does not have any resources to help teachers with classroom management, which is a major component of school success, and many CPS schools are totally unsafe for kids and adults.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time in school buildings and react quickly when school leaders are pointedly not following policies. Provide far, far more assistance with classroom management and school culture. Treat parents like partners and equals, regardless of their background. Provide more pipelines for smart kids from low-performing schools to access the amazing selective enrollment schools in the city.

My experience at Chicago Public Schools has been an enjoyable one!

Special Education Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe best reason to work at CPS is because you can make a difference in a child's life!

ConsOne of the biggest challenges working in CPS is the lack of funding that is allowed per child.

Its just a house of rules for everybody!!

Custodian (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou are still learning even while your at work, on break there are books and computers every where to learn something.

ConsThere is just to many rules, you are treated like a kid you cant do this you cant do that you are working in a glass house!

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the bosses are the best but i tell you like Micheal Jackson tells everybody you better start looking at the man in the mirror!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CPS Bus Aide

CPS Bus Aide (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt is a pleasure working with my special needs' students.

ConsIt's very hurtful when one of my students get sick.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should ride the bus with driver, bus aide and students to see how each of them interactive with one another.

Too many closure of schools

Special Education Classroom Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI enjoyed working for CPS. CPS is flawed on many levels but I loved working with the students. Watching students learn and achieve is truly awesome. I have also interacted and learned from many talent teachers, administrates, and staff.

ConsThe school board needs to make parents more involved in their child or children education.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics should not be a part of the school system. The system will be more effective if the people who are in charge have an education degree. It is not possible to make good decisions that are best for the children if you do not have a background in Education.

Teacher

High School Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSet salary, health insurance, pension

ConsNo job security, incredibly high turnover, high taxes and union fees, very high hours expected, required to live within city limits to apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in training staff, instead of firing staff and hiring new staff. Very high turnover is a huge problem, lowers morale, and means most staff are inexperienced and novice.

Disappointing Administration

Elementary Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSome of the pros of STEM Magnet Academy are the professional teachers and supportive families. The teachers are well-educated, driven, and collaborative. The families are invested and involved.

ConsThe cons of STEM Magnet Academy are the administration and SPED department. The principal is absent most of the time and when she is around she is a bully. The SPED department is unethical and uneducated about the law and procedures to meet students' needs. Often times they have gone months without responding to parents and teachers.

Data Analyst

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHolidays off and plenty of sick days.

ConsNon union employees do not get raises and there isn't a career track for employees. In order to get promoted or get a raise you have to jump from position to position. There is no work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNon union employees work hard and long hours and deserve to be treated like we matter.

Very informative and I saw the dedication that the Chicago Public Schools had for all of it's students.

Teacher (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGood pay and the personal growth of all of it's emplyees.

ConsThe number of students that are not prepared for High School work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure that all of the students are prepared for High School.

My experiences with CPS has been a growing experience with the diversity of students' and parents which helped me learn

Youth Intervention Specialitst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMake the effort to reach each student on more than one level, motivating them externally and intrinsically. Inspire them.

ConsThe instability of positions within the end of the school year and with new administration.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is very important.

Worked for Chicago Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!