Chicago Public Schools

www.cps.edu

Chicago Public Schools Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Barbara Byrd-Bennett

Pros
  • Working with students and seeing them learn is phenomenal(in 5 reviews)

• The best reason to work at CPS is because you can make a difference in a child's life(in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Teachers are lacking the resource support they need to do their jobs efficiently(in 26 reviews)

• Was let go do to budget cuts three weeks before the next school year began, leaving me little time to find another teaching position(in 4 reviews)

Data Analyst

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsHolidays off and plenty of sick days.

ConsNon union employees do not get raises and there isn't a career track for employees. In order to get promoted or get a raise you have to jump from position to position. There is no work-life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementNon union employees work hard and long hours and deserve to be treated like we matter.

My experiences with CPS has been a growing experience with the diversity of students' and parents which helped me learn

Youth Intervention Specialitst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMake the effort to reach each student on more than one level, motivating them externally and intrinsically. Inspire them.

ConsThe instability of positions within the end of the school year and with new administration.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is very important.

I had a challenging but rewarding twenty three years as a teacher of Chicago Public Schools.

English Teacher (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI love when there is light bulb goes off in a child's head or when they one may say, that I have learned a great deal in Mrs. Mays' class.

ConsMany times one is not appreciated by parents, students, faculty or staff. Sometimes, they do not realize how much time and effort one puts in planning a lesson.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne should learn to give sincere and consistent recognition to those teachers who are working very hard to see that the students move from point A to point B.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ridiculously miss-managed

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPay is good and if you slip under the radar avoiding hassles its fine

ConsHassles. Beuracracy. Files being lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some. Management that is.

Frustrating

Chicago Public School Teacher (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsMost of the teachers are very professional and work very hard to make sure their students learn. Many schools are well maintained and the staff really cares about the kids.

ConsClass sizes are too large. It's difficult to teach well with 35 kids in a class. Some schools are well run...some are not. Teachers are lacking the resource support they need to do their jobs efficiently.

Advice to Senior ManagementStudents need stability in order to make educational gains. The instability in the system over the past few years has been detrimental and, at times, devastating to student growth and achievement.

Complete nonsense - bureaucratic...overspending but not on employees or students

Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsZERO. None. No Pros. Only cons.

ConsRahm, Barabara Byrd Bennet. No support for subs. In fact bltant and outright attacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sticking your heads up your keesters and come up with thoughtful ideas to improve student learning.

It's been frustrating and confusing.

ProsIf one can find a full-time job the money is all right. Working with the students can be very fulfilling.

ConsI have worked in some very violent situations. I've hit and struck several times with very little recourse.
    It is sad for the students as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that the faculty members are human beings as well.

It has been both rewarding and disappointing.

Secondary Educator (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are ample opportunities to obtain professional development.

ConsToo political to be fairly judged on your merits.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the subjective evaluating of people's talents and skills.!

Unorganized and a hierarchical system of employees. Employees always at competition. No job is safe unless tenured.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExperience in a corrupt system allows you to learn a lot about yourself plus working with kids is always rewarding no matter where you are.

ConsToo many to write right now.

Miss-Managed nightmare

High School Teacher (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsI enjoyed my experiences with my kids. I made connections that will last a life time. Thousands of connections over the years.

ConsTeachers aren't valued, so the childrens' education suffers. We aren't allowed to Teach, just train test takers

Advice to Senior ManagementChildren aren't to be trained & managed, they are to be nurtured into adulthood. Guided to a successful life via education.

Worked for Chicago Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!