Chicago Public Schools

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.8

Barbara Byrd-Bennett

Pros
  • Working with students and seeing them learn is phenomenal (in 5 reviews)

• The job requires the ability to make difficult decisions quickly and diplomatically (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I had an awful work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

• I worked in the Nutrition service department at Central Office (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good employer as long as you are needed.

Current Employee - Technology Teacher/Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technology Teacher/Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Salary is good. Work schedules are great. Working with the kids is awesome. My list of pros could go on about the system as it relates to work.

Cons

Now, my cons can be somewhat shorter, administration level staff and union leaders do not consider or think about the consequences of selfish acts. These comments are not directed at all but it did seem to be everyone I ran into when I needed it.

Treat employees fair and innocent until proven guilty. Jones actions at Libby from claiming I make to much to freezing my pay to then steeling my seniority to so far ending my educational career since July 2011. All this because he wanted his school budget back. If that was the case, he should have been professional about it and helped me find another school or downtown job to transfer to.

Yes it's personal.

Fair Review...

Current Employee - Day to Day Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Day to Day Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools (more than an year)

Pros

Available to chose assignments on a daily basis. Its easy to get to know the school Clerks, so that they remember you when they are in need of a reliable Substitute...I have 3-4 schools calling several times a week looking for a good sub.

Cons

You can't let bad students get you down. Traditional, Students treat Substitute Teacher very poorly and will misbehave, ad be very respectful. Just tell the regular Teacher in a note about your day and they will make sure those students are dealt with.

I would suggest higher pay and benefits for long term Day to Day Substitutes....

Good benefits but not a fan of the "Wellness Program"

Current Employee - Chicago Public School Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Chicago Public School Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits package as well as time off during the holiday season are a couple of the definite pluses. Some of the students are really intelligent and very warm and caring. The teachers are hard working (to say the least) and dedicated to the academic growth and personal well being of students.

Cons

In order to keep up with all of the demands the hours are long. Too long. Some people are great at balancing and don't mind working from home on evenings and weekends in order to stay on top of things but I find it difficult. It seems like no matter what you do there is always more to be done and that you're never really "finished" with anything. Summers off aren't a perk - they are quite necessary to the mental health of educators.

Ten Year Admin.

Current Employee - Professional I in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professional I in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time

Pros

I work with a great team, and they are very supportive. Benefits are nice. When you have an emergency, at least management on our team is very accomodating.

Cons

Lack of raises for non-union employees (two in six years). Hard to move between departments. Work is often repetitive and seemingly "bureaucratic" with no real purpose.

More interaction, project work with other departments

Need Management Skills, Professional Appearance, Ready to Give Instructions to Children and Take Charge

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great People to Talk to in the Lunch Room, Intrinsic Rewards for Teaching are Great...providing positive role models to impressionable children, feel productive, Keeps you Very Busy and On your Toes, Demonstrate Leadership Qualities, Connect to Your Community, You get to be Intelligent and Use Strategies to Teach Children, The Children are Inspiring and a Joy to be Around!

Cons

Some classroom teachers do not like substitute teachers and will blame you for their class becoming disruptive after their own absence, Administrators will make you feel responsible for disruptive children, Lots of the people on the inside know someone to get the position they are in, Very Critical Reviews, Children's Performance depends on your Teaching Ability

Try to Know Your Students as Human Beings and not Statistics!

Systems Admin

I have been working at Chicago Public Schools full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, rarely worked weekends, no pressure compared to normal support positions because you're not supporting a company attempting to make profit so many times you can put off upgrades until later dates. Very few mission critical apps so we were able to do maintenance during late evenings instead of weekends.

Cons

Government work is addictive because you can become part of a system of entitlement. You have to set your own goals and consider moving on. I would have to really consider hiring someone who spent more than 5 years working for the government. Even though everyone is very skilled and capable you just start to change and stop thinking like a capitalist and more like a socialist. That attitude is deadly at profit driven companies.

Offer more training

Disorganized and overly-bureaucratic

Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked with some very knowledgable and hard working individuals.

Cons

The motto at CPS seems to be work harder not smarter. Children are often lost in the bureaucracy. No raises for non-union employees. Career advancement opportunities are few and far between. Management lacks understanding of how to lead a team towards a common goal. Poor work/life balance.

I worked there for six weeks

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They met my salary request and the benefits were awesome

Cons

I worked in the Nutrition service department at Central Office. This has to be the most chaotic, unorganized and unprofessional place to work. I was thrown in and was expected to do a job I was not prepped on trained on. I hit the ground running and in six weeks I was fired (not downsized) because I was told I did not make a good fit for the department. And to add insult to injury, I was unrightfully placed on the DNH (do not hire) list. I was both shocked, hurt and insulted about this. I will not recommend any professional person to work at Central Office.

Train your managers and staff on everything!

Good People

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

lots of responsibility
    autonomy
    a lot of work can be done online

Cons

Wifi in the building doesn't work a lot of the times
    Handling logistically information on google docs is so slow

There are always minor annoying issues but on the whole a good experience.

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was better than other states I've worked. Some wonderful colleagues and students.

Cons

The union made things more difficult. Too much bureaucracy beyond the school building that was annoying and not helpful.

Extend site based management.

Chicago Public Schools Photos