Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014
3.6

CEO

Keeping Up with The Who...

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Chicago School of Professional Psychology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working here, you will encounter great people! There is great flexibility, time to mingle with co-workers and excellent time off.

Cons

Extremely poor communication on the upper management level. The agenda here is to act first and think about the consequences later. Do your research before ever considering to work here.

Very high turn over on every level. The average person only stays about 1.5 years or less. Some faculty has been here longer.

No real integration into the culture. All of the information received about the organization is outdated. And the morale is pretty much in the garbage.

Note: This is an extremely political place. I know some places can be. But beware and prepare if you ever consider wanting to work here. This is a great example of a bait and switch organization.

Stop hiring mediocre people and then a few months later, promote them to higher level positions. There are people in positions here that have no idea what it means to a true leader or innovator. TCSPP could flourish if they found a way to retain real talent and believe in their own mission and vision-not just the money.

No originality in this day and age...could have been one of the greatest but I see this school being taken over in the very near future.

TCS, not the best

Current Employee - Student Services Advisor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Student Services Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Pros

The entry-mid level staff at TCS is wonderful. They are all intelligent, engaged, and focused on making the student experience a better one. There is a lot of networking to be done with the staff. Every third Thursday, the School hosts a beer/wine/appetizer happy hour from 4-5. It's a great way to mingle with other departments. They also offer "summer hours" which is 8 work ours off every 2 weeks in June & July.

Cons

Organizationally, it's very top heavy and departments are run by people who have little to know exposure/experience in higher education. Unless you work in the academic side, do not expect a promotion or recogniztion of your skills and accomplishments. Those in the services side of the fence, are often compared to flight attendants and expected to act as such. I was told that "teaching only happens in the classroom" and that anyone else should not try to educate students - virtually sending ancillary and student services back into the dark ages. There is no support for professional development and no room for mobility. THe pay here is the lowest I've ever seen in higher education.

Appreciate your staff tangibly with a bonus/raise structure and have a look at the pay for your entry level employees. Support employees and increase their morale as they are charged with the retention of your students. Train management as needed and stop congratulating those that do poor work.

Great learning experience.

Former Employee - Financial Aid Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Chicago School of Professional Psychology part-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay was good as a student worker.

Cons

Very little training provided from the start. You learn as you go.

Proper training would make better workers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Associate Professor

Current Employee - Associate Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

School is always going through a "New and Improved" process of change. Little reliability

Reorganize and let things mature and grow.

Excellent People

Pros

Great office, unique atmosphere, young and energetic, always growing. Gained some valuable experience. Fun location downtown at 7th and Grand. I would absolutely recommend for someone looking to get into higher education administration.

Cons

Parking downtown can be tough without a parking lot, or some sort of compensation. Not as much room for growth as I would have liked, but they do hire from within for certain positions.

Keep developing talent in house. Don't stop growing!

Admissions Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work-life balance, flexibility, relatively low stress,

Cons

Sometimes it can be a "What have you done for me lately environment" although I think this is true of most admissions roles. I do like it better than working in for-profit. The admissions standards for students are fairly rigorous compared to for-profits which seems like everyone can get in

Remember to look at the year to date performance - not just last week's performance

My Chicago School Review

Current Employee - Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL

Pros

I have truly enjoyed my time at the College. The students are extremely diverse and not only do I teach them but, I learn from them.

Cons

I feel like I can do more for the college and they are not allowing me to.

Increase the personal-growth and allow others to give advice so we can all grow as a team.

Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great part time job while completing program.

Cons

There is a lack of communication of duties and responsibilities prior to accepting the job.

Communication and clarity of duties is not clear.

A challenging environment in mostly good ways striving to do the right things well

Current Employee - Faculty  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Faculty in Chicago, IL

Pros

Intellectual stimulation, sincere faculty, appreciative students, some flexibility, and a nice River North campus are the best parts of this organization. This organization strives to do right by all its stakeholders.

Cons

Too much bureaucracy combined with a lot of student needs and demanding curriculum make for a difficult and less than predictable workload at times.

You are getting too top-heavy and creating pressure on the producers

The Chicago School Reviews

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Chicago, IL

Pros

I really enjoyed how close I currently am located to the chicago school. Despite it being in a great location, i was really able to excel in the programs.

Cons

I wish I would have chosen to attend TCSPP before spending so much money on an out of state private college during my first year of teaching going back and forth.

I would suggest adding more programs in more obscure areas of psychology. This could be of interest to those creative types who are looking to enter the field.

Worked for Chicago School of Professional Psychology? Contribute to the Community!