Chicago Trading Company

Updated June 6, 2014
Updated June 6, 2014
3.9

Eric Chern

Exciting development at a more honorable trading firm

Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Trading Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Software developers can learn a lot about builing high-performance distributed systems. CTC has some outstanding technologists who have built great systems. Most of the people are sharp and nice.

All CTC employees can learn about options pricing. They have a couple required classes and then a lot of optional classes run by a solid in-house education department. (One of the teachers used to be at the University of Chicago's financial math program.)

Chicago Trading Company is also one of the more honorable trading firms-- they mostly stay out of shady areas of finance, and traders don't scream at developers. They also offer good work/life balance-- people go home by 5, some even by 4.

Cons

- Software developers have to do a fair amount of support (including the occasional middle-of-the-night call), even though there is a front-line support team.
    - The company takes unusually long to get off of legacy technology, starting 2nd and 3rd generation applications without fully shutting down the 1st generation application. I think this is because upper management makes a mandate to get off the 1st gen stuff but has no plan about what needs to be done to achieve that.
    - As of spring 2014, software development is being reshuffled, from a system where development was controlled primarily by the desks to a more centralized development. It might be good to wait until the dust has settled.

Don't take the job unless desperate.

Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Trading Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice office. Awesome lunch program.

Cons

Everything else. Specifically management. They fire/push out the door all of the talent and it shows. Promotions go to the most political butt kissers, while the best have their ideas stolen and then fired. Oh and remember the time they didn't even know about the gas trades that lost them a ton of money? There went the New York and London office. Not to mention rampant racism and sexism in management. Hands down the worst place I have ever worked.

Give raises to those who perform and not just the yes wo/man butt kissers.

Can be a good experience if you can survive

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Trading Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fency office furniture, free food, very good internal education programs; The annual 360 Performance Evaluation is a nightmare.

Cons

no opprtunities for the carrier and salary growth unless you are well connected

Put in place a realistic productivity measurement

Do a great job and you will get noticed

I have been working at Chicago Trading Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office, higher ups are very accessible, great technology

Cons

Compensation could be better, but every employee of every company in the world feels the same way

None

Good company to learn options trading

I have been working at Chicago Trading Company

Pros

-- good training program
    -- meritocratic advancement

Cons

-- excitement in the job depends on market conditions.

Senior technologist

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Trading Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For most people, a really great place to work. High integrity, passionate and talented employees, generous benefits, energetic environment. Work/life balance is a core value. Some of the smartest traders and technologists I've ever worked with. Their business strategies are largely insulated from market conditions, and they are positioned to profit regardless of the state of the underlying or volatility markets.

Cons

Upward mobility is absolutely capped. You can get paid, but the leadership structure is set in concrete and unless someone leaves/retires, you're staying right where you are. Path to partnership is unknown and unknowable. Traders have a little too much influence on the tactical decisions in technology, resulting in inefficiency and sometimes paralysis. Progress is hard. "Rock stars" are identified and given too much credit/adulation relative to their peers.

Trust technology to set its own agenda. Allow senior people to lead, and show them a continued, clear upward career path.

Great company. High integrity.

I have been working at Chicago Trading Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

smart people, teamwork oriented. generous benefits, especially for more junior people.

Cons

it used to be that you'd get stuck in one area for a long time but i think they changed that now.

keep up the communication.

Highly Regarded

Former Employee - Trading Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trading Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Trading Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Highly respected firm in the derivatives industry. CTC employs some of the best traders in the business and the employee education programs allow the new guys to take advantage of the talent in the office. Senior traders actively participate in training which steepens the learning curve and reflects upper management's commitment to professional development. Unlike most of its competitors, CTC puts significant responsibility on its interns so there's no busy work to waste your time. Through training, corporate events, and amazing food they invest a lot in their employees, but at the same time they expect a lot in return. Due to the added responsibility CTC tends to pay better than many of its peers.

Cons

High pressure work environment. Thick skin required.

Continue to be selective with recruiting. Also, foster better communication across divisions. There seems to be a social disconnect between front and back office.

Great place to work with smart developers.

Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I worked at Chicago Trading Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, great co-workers, laid back

Cons

Would not pay market rates

Be more competitive in NYC salaries

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Trading Company

Pros

I've been a software engineer for over 10 years in the Chicago area, and I've been at a big 5 consulting firm, and this is now my third prop trading shop. It's the best place I've been so far.

- Great benefits, compensation
    - Work with incredibly smart people
    - Fully stocked kitchen, free breakfast and lunch(so much so that there is a phenomenon known as the CTC 15)
    - Passionate workforce. I can't say enough about this, I have yet to meet anyone at CTC that I thought didn't care and was just going through the motions.
    - Wonderful educational opportunities - The in house education department(3 full time people) is great.

Cons

- Promotions across teams can seem unfair. The bar for promotion on team A may seem much higher than the bar for promotion on team B. This has been an issue at every firm I've ever worked at or been a part of, but still, it happens.
    - Other than that, my gripes are very persnickety(like why can't we get skim milk in the upstairs fridge?)

Rethink the quarterly meetings. The buffet is great, but the meeting itself can be a bit disjointed and drag on and on and on.