Chicago Transit Authority

Terry Peterson

Not Bad

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority part-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is room for growth. You can advance. There is a pension plan once you become Full Time. Your co-workers are pretty cool. Every day is different. There is a uniform allowance after 1 year.

Cons

It can take a considerable amount of time to become full time. The company is always under scrutiny because it is the CTA. There is no room for errors due to the sensitive nature of the business.

Try to put yourself in the position of the employees when applying discipline

Poor Management vision.

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pros are very few. Ride the system for free Direct pay 26 times a year.

Cons

Job security is a joke. People with more than 20 yearsfof experience are fired. The turn over rate is high. Moral is at a all-time low.

Value your greatest asset, employees.

Intern

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority

Pros

As an intern, I believed I experienced a lot during my time at CTA. I got the opportunity to work with different departments, and while sometimes the work was indeed mundane and I felt that the skills I brought were underutilized, the exposure that I was able to get, and the people that I was able to work with was something that I enjoyed.

Also, free public transportation!

Cons

Work was often mundane, interns weren't handled efficiently (some interns would be swamped with work while others had nothing to do (and were okay with that) for weeks at a time). Some (particularly one director in general) management had unreal expectations of interns to do work that even seasoned employees couldn't do.

Even though I entered as an intern class, there was not much effort made for our class to interact and gain professional educational advancement through this experience.

Please structure the internship experience more. The better of an internship experience CTA could provide, the better their class of interns will be and the more competitive the program will become -- thereby providing CTA with very bright young minds.

Beware of the future.

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free rides on the public transportation system as part of the benefit package. The Municipal Corporation will be there for ever, but will you?

Cons

The upper management is poor at best. The incompetence as Managers is only surpassed by there callous arrogance with the treatment of employees. The vision of management is yearly. The style is reactive, not proactive. The company fires employees with 15, 20 & 24 years of service consistently I do not recommend this organization at all. Beware.

Rail Operator. Very important Position with lots of responsibility accomplished. 44679

Former Employee - Combined Rail Operator 44679 in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Combined Rail Operator 44679 in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Your always helping others. You have wonderful benefits and you hold great responsibility. You maintain a set schedule and your getting thousands of people a day to and from where they need to go.

Cons

Nothing bad. A challenge is always good in my eyes. It allows you to stay on you toes and make sure the work is done no matter how heavy to job is.

To keep doing a wonderful job and assisting the employees and making sure the job gets done and properly handled. Thank you the opportunity of working for the company and if I had the opportunity to become employed with Chicago Transit Authority again I wouldn't pass it up for the nothing in the world.

Paranoia.

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority

Pros

Free use of public transportation, medical and dental health benefits, and in some cases pleasant interactions with the public at large.

Cons

The schedules can be very chaotic differing greatly from day to day, the management operates as if it is in a terror state, there is a high turnover rate, and consequently workplace morale had plummeted.

Remember that you and the lower level employees are on the same team and treat them as teammates as opposed to adversaries.

Its a good job but current general managers and Forrest Claypool president is a bully

Current Employee - Rail Car Repairman in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rail Car Repairman in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people the pay is OK

Cons

Responsibilities. If you make a mistake you get written up.

Shape up your you guys going to lose people

Low employee moral!

Current Employee - Full-Time Bus Operator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Full-Time Bus Operator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The ability of the employee free ride, that is it.

Cons

President Claypool, is a horrable leader. Turning everyone away from the company. Has no mass transit experience, at all.

Be our bus operator,
     backup team instead of our enemy!!

It was a learning experience for me.

Former Employee - Bus Operator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Bus Operator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Pros at CTA was being in control of your own bus.

Cons

Management and supervisor were not always professional and harassed most operator's.

Stay professional at all times.

A very good challenge.

Former Employee - Full-Time Bus Operator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Full-Time Bus Operator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

It's a place that's challenging and can be very advancing in the company.

Cons

Working with the public has it's up and downs.

Have more compassion for empolyees and understanding.