Chicago Transit Authority

Add Photos

Terry Peterson

pay outweighs politics

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time for more than 8 years

Proscoworkers become family even though there's a VERY diverse workforce, pay is excellent, most foreman are easy to get along with, could be a job for life

Conshired on as temporary, told that you will be permanent fairly quickly but that doesn't happen, was there for over 7 years and still didn't become permanent, bean counters downtown couldn't care less about you - you're simply a badge number not a human with a life or family

Advice to Senior Managementstop counting 'beans' and start listening to and seeing your employees, understand that they are humans, realize that not everything is always 'black and white' - there are many gray areas in life

Opportunity to grow

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe CTA is full of opportunity to grow in many career fields and offers long-term employment

ConsThere are no travel opportunities as CTA is a single location based agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue training and educational opportunities for staff to pursue

Good hourly pay, but...

Rail Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority full-time for more than a year

ProsHourly wage, Free public transportation, Plenty of overtime depending on where you're located. Paid holidays.

ConsSchedule, A lot of money is taken out of your paycheck, Easy to get safety violations, almost everyone has an attitude problem, a lot of gossip and employees sleeping with each other, its like being in high school. Union doesn't do much to help when you're in trouble, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you started as an operator or other low level position, don't forget where you came from. Too many managers have bad attitudes, big egos and can't relate to the employees whose pay grade isn't as high as theirs.

Electrical designer Eng

Engineering (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority for more than 10 years

Prosloved working with CTA employees

ConsI am a contractor and looking forward working within the CTA.

Very Political Company

Rail Operator (Former Employee)

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIt use to be the pay and benefits but now those are lagging.

ConsThe managers and higher ups. Some are stepping on others to make themselves look better. It's a "one for one and all for no one" type of atmosphere. It use to be a great place to work but if you don't mind devoting your life (and I mean that) to a job, this is a perfect place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that everyone in this company has families, problems and lives. Not just the people who work at 567. If I have an emergency with my family, it shouldn't count against me.

Like any other job it has its ups and downs

BUS Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority part-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are able to hang in there and get past being part time the money is great and you will be able have a better life. There's great benefits, advancement opportunities, tuition reimbursement and many other great things about CTA.

ConsThere isn't a grace period when reporting to work like most company's. Whatever time you have to be there get there early because they will send you home and give your work to someone else. There isn't any paid time off or sick days so, you will get wrote up for being sick or taking off. Being part time is a long hard struggle (extremely long breaks where you are there 12/13 hrs a day but get paid for 5-7 working hours) that test ones money mangement skills, relationships, values and ability to survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake courses that will help you become a better person/manager so that you will be able to handle the daily struggle and stop being cutthroat. Learn how to talk to your employees, help build employee morale. For the women the workplace isn't the club dress appropriately.

Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority

ProsScope and high impact of work

ConsBureaucracy and frustrations of a government agency

Overall climate

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time for more than a year

Prossome staff get it and are concerned with doing great work and not on their contacts

ConsStaff more concerned with "political" impacts rather than getting work done in most efficient manner

Advice to Senior ManagementMove more to results related progression rather than current system.

Politics that drain your soul

Sacrificial Lamb (Former Employee)

I worked at Chicago Transit Authority full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent benefits
Free rides on the CTA
Decent coworkers (some of them)

ConsRampant politics
Need chain mail to protect your back from all those knives
No loyalty

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend the effort to get quality people; keeping the suck ups will be detrimental to the company in the long run

CTA..... Corporate politics at its best.

Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Chicago Transit Authority full-time for more than a year

ProsFree transportation. In the highly unlikely event that you are placed under a manager who cares about your learning experience, you may be able to glean something from the internship program.

ConsInterns have been given no priority, whatsoever, in the hiring process. Highly capable interns have been overlooked so that the friends/political hires of management can sit in those positions and fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo better.

Worked for Chicago Transit Authority? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chicago Transit Authority reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chicago Transit Authority CEO Terry Peterson. All 29 reviews posted anonymously by Chicago Transit Authority employees.