Chicago Tribune

Add Photos

Tony Hunter

More Good days than Bad

Press (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOvertime. Different work on different days keeps thing fresh.

ConsPolitics can be overwhelming at times.

Am Supervisor

Am Supervisor (Former Employee) Park Forest, IL

ProsWork in the warehouse in Forest Park Il part time mornings good facility nobody over your shoulder good pay for part time .

Consno benefits had to work 7 days a week rain or snow.

Great Company

Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThis company was an overall good company. There was high employee moral, appreciation and an unlimited share of parties and appreciation lunches. There was a fitness center on site which I liked. There is also great opportunities to move up in the company with hard work - which I liked.

ConsThe department I worked it was very stagnant and offered very little to no opportunity for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should care about loyalty. There have been employees who were fired for low quality scores (1 bad month) even though they have been with the company for years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Easy to be lazy as an intern at the Tribune

Producer Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThere are very many people here that are experienced and want to do great journalism. The newsroom has a lot of good facilities and equipment.

ConsVery small chances of moving up. I was offered a very low salary and there was no negotiating. It was blamed on the economy and the fact that you have to "move up" when you are young---but that excuse can only go so far.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey always want to act tough all the time even when everything is running smoothly. It puts everyone on edge. Take more input from the younger folks and stop assuming that every person under 35 wants to read a list-acle.

Freelance reporter

Freelance Reporter (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsWriting for the most prestigious newspaper in Illinois; if you get a good editor and coverage zone reporter, you can get your share of good stories without pressure to cover everything the reporter can't.

ConsMinimal to non-existent opportunities for freelancing to become full-time reporting; too blase an attitude toward letting the suburban competition scoop them; uncertainty about the newspaper's future.

Wrapping and delivering papers

Carrier (Current Employee) Park Forest, IL

ProsIt's informing of directional wise, Also great for networking

Consenduring cold winters, wear and tear on my cars

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A, its pretty much a fair job

They are a very good place to work for as a freelancer. I gained invaluable experience on the high school sports beat.

Freelancer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe pros are if you are a freelancer, the company is very prompt in paying you, and the editors work closely with their reporters.

ConsThe one con I have is its extremely difficult to get a full-time opportunity with the Chicago Tribune, but that's to be expected from an outstanding media organization like it is.

Multimedia Intern

Multimedia Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsYou are working with extremely talented journalists and editors, most who care to know who you are and what your goals are. Although you have to do a lot of the ho-hum menial tasks of an internship (like pick thru photos, moderate blogs, etc), there is also the possibility you can become published if you work really hard and pitch story ideas to editors.

ConsI was there during a summer of huge layoffs. It was so depressing to see desks empty after a weekend. It was a close up hard look at the reality of the industry, and all and all, a reason why I saw not much of a future working in corporate journalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more responsibilities to interns. The internship application process is a bit hard and there's lots of competition to get there, but once you are there, it's usually because you are a hard worker that can manage tasks well.

Great to start out, but it is a dying business

ProsGreat culture, meet awesome friends. Hard work is recognized.

ConsPaper is a dying business, communication is not always open. Pay is horrible.

Poor Experience

Transportation (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsOn occasion, the company provided team appreciation days. If you had to work a holiday, they provided a holiday meal. Contract employees are eligible for paid vacation.

ConsI was a contract employee with no chance to ever be hired in the transportation department. No benefits or any holiday pay was provided even though holidays were required to be worked. No career path is available due to working in a declining industry for production and distribution employees.

Worked for Chicago Tribune? Contribute to the Community!