Chicago Zoological Society

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
3.6

Stuart D Strahl

Amazing organization to work for.

Former Employee - Youth and Camp Coordinator
    Former Employee - Youth and Camp Coordinator

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, ever-changing schedule; mission driven and committed to service quality; fun place to work; dedication to staff development and contentment.

Cons

Low turnover in mid and upper management positions so made long term advancement goals tough to achieve

Continue to commit to mission, and customer and staff experience. A great place to work.

Not bad job while in college

Former Employee - Banquet Server in Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Banquet Server in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Worked in catered events department. Decent pay. Nice atmosphere. Good coworkers.

Cons

No advancement opportunity. Middle management was lazy. Long hours.

Worthwhile, but very political and cliquey

I have been working at Chicago Zoological Society

Pros

Flexible scheduling because offices are open 365. Good benefits. The Society has a great conservation focus and you know the work you are doing is meaningful.

Cons

Staff housing is horrible, many staff are in trailers. Others are in buildings with thirty cubes and personality conflicts.

Fix your HR department

Great company but not for the long haul

Former Employee - Park Safety Officer in Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Park Safety Officer in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for the zoo for many years and I still have friends that I made through the zoo. I always had great people to work with and caring management.

Cons

There was almost no room for personal growth or advancement. The pay was subpar for the amount of time I had worked there. I was sometimes treated as an inferior.

wage increases, more full-time work,

Unreliable Hours and Varying Pay

Former Employee - Guest Services (Food) in Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Guest Services (Food) in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Free zoo passes, food discounts, fun people, starting pay is above minimum wage, this is the perfect job for a high school student looking to make extra money

Cons

Food service workers have to call everyday to see if they are needed which means work depends on zoo attendance and weather, no set schedule, very few hours, if you will rely on this job for primary income, I advise you to look elsewhere, promoted supervisors don't do anything that a regular employee can't do, have to work outside in crazy heat, was expected to clean, restock, take out trash, serve food, prepare orders, make popcorn, and greet customers at the same time.

Try to hire a janitorial staff for the restaurants located in the park, make more reliable set schedules because calling everyday to find out if I was on "stay-home" was inconvenient, hire the right people for supervising positions

lots of fun, but inconsistent by department

Former Employee - Audience Research in Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Audience Research in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at the zoo is amazing for all of the obvious reasons - you get to work outside, surrounded by amazing animals and people who care deeply about them. Management is typically friendly and flexible. If you pull together connections with keepers and other staff, you can develop some truly amazing relationships and experiences.

Cons

Staff are often under-qualified because zoos in general wind up with so many applications, despite low wages. There is very, very little room to grow a career unless you are extremely lucky and willing to make very little money. Different departments know little to nothing outside of their immediate area, which can be frustrating for employees and confusing for guests.

Get staff excited again to work at the zoo by offering more behind-the-scenes events and opportunities. Inform the staff about all of the great research and programs going on instead of having so many front-line staff who know little to nothing about the organization. Zoo keepers are great, but your ticket-takers and food servers are interacting with ten times as many visitors as the keepers. If your staff knew more and were consistently excited and approachable, the zoo would be perfect.

A great organization with people who care about you and the animals

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society as an intern

Pros

Non-profit environment, discounts, reciprocal membership to Chicago organizations, food on site, learning opportunities

Cons

Limited job advancement, weird hours, outside in the heat or cold a lot, long commute from town, not a lot nearby

Interesting company to work for. Unorganized, and they don't seem to value their employees very much.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment, work with good people

Cons

Unorganized, Bad hours, Things are always misplaced or missing in work environment, Bad communication

Manager

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Unique environment, challenges, ability to support ecological causes

Cons

Highly political culture, change resistant, senior management team discord

A fun and energizing place to work, volunteer, and intern

Former Employee - Audience Research Intern in Brookfield, IL
    Former Employee - Audience Research Intern in Brookfield, IL

I worked at Chicago Zoological Society as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Brookfield Zoo has been a fun and energizing experience from day one. I have been able to work with friendly, motivated people who love their jobs, and have made lasting friendships and contacts here. Every day is different too, which keeps the job even more interesting. The zoo has a very open and inviting environment.

Cons

*I spent three years volunteering, two summers working, and one summer interning at the zoo through high school and college. For me, there are have been no cons.