Chico's FAS Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
2.8

Chico's FAS President, CEO, and Director David F. Dyer
David F. Dyer

Pros
  • Discount on clothing; quality of clothing; working with nice ladies (in 12 reviews)

• Good associate discounts, flexible and work life balance schedule (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no concept of work/life balance (in 27 reviews)

• 1000 of their social security money in order to make upper management happy (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

I wanted to stay with this employer forever, but

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great looking clothes and some fun customers

Cons

Salary is not high for sales leads or associates and benefits are nil. You are expected to wear current catalog clothing, "because if you wear it, you can sell it." Yes, you do sell more wearing current, yet even with an employee discount you end up giving a large chunk of our check back to the company. They do not offer a living wage or benefits. Much in- fighting, constant changes with coupons, discounts etc. Store signage changes daily. Management talks about core values but does not follow those values themselves. I really wanted to stay with this company and have a career rather than a job, but the back stabbing, gossip, and my manager will drive me to seek employment elsewhere. Customers know they need not pay full price for anything as coupons will arrive or sales will happen weekly. Sales goals are unrealistic and almost impossible to achieve on a monthly basis so morale becomes low.Also, if you do get a 65% off employee discount, you must buy items in your store only. If the store doesn't carry an item or is out of stock, you are out of luck as well

Listen to those actually doing the work. Interview employees at all levels of the company. Provide affordable current clothes to us so we can wear them on the sales floor. Empower employees to move up in the company. Consider tuition reimbursement or reimbursement to return to school for new degrees for older employees. Respect employees at all levels. Work to quell the gossip and back stabbing. Make it so I want to come to work each day and am not afraid of my manager (literally)

Amazing Company to Work, Learn and Grow

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Chico's FAS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company is fun to work for, has great leaders and encourages growth within their organization. While they have high expectations, they work hard to provide the tools needed to accomplish the goals. The bonus potential is better than any I've seen and their clothing is amazing which associates can buy with a great discount!

Cons

I don't see any challenges that aren't challenges that any company faces. Working to get more customers to shop with us, changing marketing strategies, trying to get more accomplished with less cost. I don't feel there are any major cons that you wouldn't find at any retailer.

Continue to find ways to drive customers to shop in the stores and take into account the number of online returns that stores take when considering the stores sales plans.

Continue to hold our greatest place to work meetings, I know they are costly but they add so much value and the employees come back inspired and energized.

Good if your young or retired

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Job was simple and easy, never stressful. Management was consistent and pay was average but really all I needed in college. Met and worked with nice ladies helped dress them and restore confidence. Good Hours

Cons

Nothing to mention con wise. Flexible hours, easy job

Nothing, keep it up

For the most part, I enjoyed working at Chico's.

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Chico's FAS full-time

Pros

Great discounts, discounts with Soma, Black & White, Boston Proper stores or online. 401(K) plan, health insurance options, accident insurance, stock options, good product most of the time.

Cons

The stress level can be high. Days off is sometimes a challenge. Too much micro managing. Not all stores have the tools to effectively run their stores.

Stop opening stores in an area that is already saturated. Focus on the stores that are there and put the money into the associates at the store level. They work hard.

Great place to work for a part-time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time

Pros

Great discounts on clothes and fun to work with customers

Cons

Management needs to realize that part time employs are there to make some extra cash and the discounts. We do not need to be consumed with sales numbers etc.

Get rid of the constant coupons!!!

Long time career

I have been working at Chico's FAS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Love the Brand, the stylish clothes, and Values of the company!!!
    Great benefits and PTO for Associates!!!

Cons

There could be better pay for internal promotes that have already proven themselves.
    Associates often complain when held accountable for results. People that do not like Accountability should work somewhere else as we are results driven.

Recognize the teams that perform and do a great job monthly!!

Good experience overall. Enjoyed working with customers and helping them with their shopping needs.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Amherst, NY

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I liked greeting all the customers entering the store and getting to know them as if they were a friend or guest in my home. I liked working as a team with fellow associates and management.

Cons

Part time management positions don't get offered healthcare or paid time off or benefits of any kind. There is a lot of responsibility with being a member of management, and I feel that Chico's doesn't provide enough incentive to it's employees.

Consider offering some type of healthcare or medical assistance and incentive programs to it's employees, especially Sales Leads, who are part of management. Don't focus so much on the Bonus program for sales, rather let associates develop their own selling style and apply it to their customers.

Great

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time

Pros

Easy job. Only 4 to 6 hour shifts

Cons

You can be part time but feels like your there every day

Everyone has sticks up their butts

Tough place to live

Former Employee - Corporate/Creative in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Corporate/Creative in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Chico's FAS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great pay (because of the bad location, you have the upper hand on negotiating a high salary if they really want you). great re-location package. great benefits. great bonuses based on your division's sales (1 year bonus was 15% of my salary). due to the low cost of living, you can build a nice nest egg if you can last longer than the 2 year relocation contract.

sunshine, beautiful pristine beaches nearby, swimming pools

if you stay past 2 years then you will most likely get promoted, if for no other reason than there is such a high turnover and need to fill positions. if you are employed during a period of fast growth then you can most likely build a stable position within the company. there is also opportunity for growth cross-functionally.

Cons

I worked for white house/black market. There are 2 categories of cons: the location and the job itself.

Location: really, really bad. small town w/ transient / seasonal living. it's a retirement community, not for young/single/creative types. no night life, art scene or music scene. limited shopping. limited dating. police are overly aggressive and intimidating. unless you live in a house then you will live in a condo association and these are rigid and bogged down w/ rules, violations, etc. again: it's a retirement community that really lacks any opportunity or growth. chico's is by far the biggest (only) job creator in this area. when the housing market collapsed most growth in this area aside from chico's came to a screeching halt.

Job: poor work/life balance. expected to work 8am - at least 8pm on average, and often expected to work weekends.
    very top heavy / upper management heavy. i suppose this can be said for most corporate environments. but a vp approval was needed for something that mid or lower management should have been able to approve. vp should not be worrying about rhinestone color approval.
    it's a retail product, so it's a fast paced and busy environment. changes are made at the last minute. the brand is understaffed due to high turnover (high turnover due to location) and employees get tired and worn down - often you can see it in their physical appearance.
    it's a very conservative, repetitive product. afraid to take risks. the brand cares most about what will sell, which tends to be the same silhouettes over and over. the biggest selling point in design is what new color will be added to the white & black mix.

it's very difficult, or takes time, to meet people and socialize outside of the job. it's also a "competitive" environment. combined this means that you will frequently socialize w/ coworkers. this leaves little room for separation from the workplace, both physically and mentally.

all of the on-site facilities are just another way to keep employees close-at-hand and working long hours

CHANGE CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS LOCATION. fashion is cutting edge and requires creative types. creative types do not flourish in a stunted environment w/o cultural icons.

stop micro-managing the small details. give employees a sense of knowledge and empowerment. mentor instead of punish.

positive place to work.

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great customers, very loyal to salespeople.

Cons

difficult that you don't get your schedule until 2-3 days before work week starts.

schedule more in advance