Chico's FAS Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
2.8

Chico's FAS President, CEO, and Director David F. Dyer
David F. Dyer

Pros
  • Discount on clothing; quality of clothing; working with nice ladies (in 12 reviews)

• Growth opportunities if you work hard and have sincerely great customer service (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no concept of work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Chico's upper management needs to learn to treat their employees with respect (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

My first year at Chico's has been very interesting and enlightening but not financially rewarding.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time for more than a year

Pros

Employee discount, flexible work schedule, generally a pleasant work atmosphere

Cons

Poor bonus structure combined with low hourly wage
    Frequent promotions and coupons reduce sales and bonus opportunities
    Limited store supplies
    Limited sizes in stock available for customers to try on
    Poor retention of managers and associates
    Limited training/coaching of new employees

Rethink in-store Bonus structure in light of frequent promotions/coupons and constant manager/associate turnover. There is most likely a relationship there.

Chico's FAS was ok

Current Employee - Sales Consultant  in  Winder, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Winder, GA

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time for less than a year

Pros

I liked the people I worked with. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Cons

Some of the shifts required late nights and/or weekend work. The pay could have been better.

I felt like a number.

great place to work because of the people at my location. great training for staff.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Chico's FAS full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the opportunity to spend time working one on one with a customer really focusing on the whole shopping experience not just selling her clothes. I worked at an outlet location and still developed and maintained a significant repeat clientele list that I had established actual relationships with.

Cons

the company does not pay it's employees enough of a competitive rate. they expect top quality customer service and could invest more in their employees to ensure this quality.

management in my store was amazing. on the district level he seemed to be quite removed from the day to day interaction level of the business and often would not be able to relate or really comprehend certain situations because of this.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

benefits

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Chico's FAS full-time for more than a year

Pros

good medical benefits for vision, medical, dental

Cons

work life balance is limited to time of year

Sales Associate

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time

Pros

Teaches you to sell, have great customer service, great discount.

Cons

Scheduled hours are based on your total sales. No control over the traffic that enters the store, no customers mean no sales. Given opening hours, 1st customer comes in almost an hour before my four hour shift ends. Always made a sale when customers came in.

Short but not so Sweet

Former Employee - Sourcing Manager  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Sourcing Manager in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Chico's FAS full-time for more than a year

Pros

New corporate environment, experiencing rapid growth. Investing in the campus and offering on site nurse/clinic, food services, work out facility and day care. If you are older and in the fashion industry this could be your end destination prior to retirement. Executives and upper management have a lot of experience and are in general a little older. Compensation is good, they need to retain people. Moved cross departments to sit together, i.e. merchant, planning and production. DC in Winder is first class, if you have a chance visit it! Image and presentation are very important, consider what you wear it will go a long way! And smile, upward movement is guaranteed if you can stay longer than 2 years. Some are stuck due to housing, once housing is good again they will have a lot more openings. Good corporate townhall meetings to update on quarterly goals. Felt like a small company on a mission!

Cons

Location, location, location. Very difficult for spouses to find work outside of Chico's. Not too many people are able to stay after 2 years. If you are older and closer to retirement it is a great. Departments are very siloed and narrow in responsibility scope. Decisions required SVP level of involvement. i.e. Color approvals! Very little empowerment to make decisions at lower levels, even when it supports department goals. Experiencing growing pains and has some cross functional issues in regards to roles and responsibilities. At the time PLM system was rolling out and it was the most basic and backwards system, seemed very difficult to implement versus my past experience. I had a bad experience in hiring process, they wanted a butt in seat basically, but director/vp were not that engaged in the hiring process despite the obvious need. Feedback given after 1 year of service was to 'smile' more, which felt demeaning. Although I got the message, image and presentation are very important., and unfortunately for my VP the main reason for her advancement. Not a lot of substance, definitely a level acheived based on waiting it out and being there during a fast growth time. Unfortunate bec. other departments at the same level were very well vetted and experienced. Very transient employee population. Cross department interactions and communications were limited outside of your category.

Find ways to engage and get employees to be less transient. Empower lower level employees to execute and make decisions based on leadership direction. Support and give more on boarding support. Enjoyed the cross department interaction and felt more support and connection to cross functional partners than director/vp I reported into.

Get back to the great company you used to be!

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Support  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Support in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Promotions from within if you want to move up. Used to offer health insurance to part time employees but don't anymore. Flexible schedules but be prepared to be "on call" to work each week. Yearly reviews and raises even if they weren't much. Bonuses for bigger sales so you can make great money if your numbers are good.

Cons

No payroll hours for additional work they add on daily. New promotions all the time- sometimes several at the same time so its confusing to the customer and the employees. Its not uncommon to spend a lot of time changing signs to new signs that say the exact same thing as the old one, except its a different color. POS changes almost daily- the same piece can go from 40% off to 50% off to 30% then back to full price then 40% off again- over and over. Each time the racks have to be moved, updated and the WOW's changed. The worst part is no extra payroll hours to get these things done- the store works off a payroll matrix based on how the store did last year the same week. Not based on the amount of work called for. Shipment comes every day and needs to be unpacked and steamed. Window updates, merchandise pullbacks, POS changes, etc. And if you are the closing people, you have to clean/scrub the bathrooms, swiffer/vacumn, take out the trash, clean mirrors, etc. You are the cleaning crew. In your nice clothes.

Give us more payroll hours!! If you are going to add more work, add more hours. Pretty simple. And while I do understand you don't want to spend money if the stores are behind last year in their numbers, you can't offer Most Amazing Personal Service when you only have 2 people on the sales floor anymore. No one can spend time with their customers and we are acting like cashiers just ringing up sales and cleaning out the dressing rooms. Employees aren't making the big sales and are losing their chances at making bonus money. Also, every time you offer these huge promotions like 40% everything in the store, no one is making any bonus money. Give us the payroll hours to fully staff the store the entire day- the customers are not getting the service they expect at Chico's- its what set us apart from other stores. Now its like shopping at a department store and I feel we are losing our core customers because of it.

Great Co-workers

Current Employee - Style Expert  in  Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Style Expert in Towson, MD

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the most supportive and genuinely nice women I've ever had the pleasure to work with. They celebrate every milestone you make!

Cons

My only wish is to have more hours scheduled per week. It's difficult making ends meet and another income source is essential.

Just keep doing what you're doing. It's working! A very fun and supportive environment for women.

Overall good experience. Good training program, functional management.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time for less than a year

Pros

Training is valuable. Positive work environment, compensation is fair.

Cons

Breaking in to full time can take a while.

Great work environment

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Chico's FAS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Chico's values having a good work-life balance. When you are off the clock you are off! It is a great environment.

Cons

Low pay and bonus can be hard to earn.

Increase base pay or revamp bonus system.

Worked for Chico's FAS? Contribute to the Community!