Chico's FAS

Chico's FAS Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Chico's FAS President, CEO, and Director David F. Dyer

David F. Dyer

Pros:
  • "Growth opportunities if you work hard and have sincerely great customer service"
    in 17 reviews
  • "Very easy to work part time and still feel connected with the team"
    in 16 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior leadership seems to value work/life balance, but it doesn't always make it down past the executive level"
    in 20 reviews
  • "The lack of consistency in upper management causes all the hard work of the store team to fall apart"
    in 38 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great coworkers and learn something new everyday, but job is increasingly stressful and they break promises.

ProsNice to be apart of a department that has a bunch of fun, quirky, jovial personalities and really supports each other in times of needs. My department is one of the few that really tries to enforce and practice the work-life balance initiative.

ConsManagement and cross functional teams constantly make changes without considering the time and effort we put into the work and have no clue that what we do takes time. We're short staffed, and the work load is increasing every season. They set high and unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither we need more people to balance with the work load or just more realistic deadlines and expectations. Try to understand what each department and role does and be more understanding of the time it takes to do our jobs. The customer and sales are important but so are your employees. Employees are a disservice when burnt out.

Team driven

Sales Lead (Current Employee)
    Columbus, GA

ProsI like working at Chico's because it's personal one on one customer service and I love making people smile it's a great way to get to know people and give them great customer service.

ConsThe challeng at working with Chico's is, it's not like all the other jobs where you get a hour break after working more than 6 to 8 hours it's only 30 minutes you get for lunch instead of an hour but you adjust and get use to it, its not bad at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing a sales lead and key holder opening and closing the store I found out you have to have good communication with management team and associates especially passing each other in and out of the store with breaks and shift start and end.

Great company to work for.

Part Time Sales (Former Employee)
    Amherst, NY

ProsEveryone worked well as a team. Customer service was always the first priority.

ConsToo many changes in sales promotions, at times was confusing to the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities and a benefits program for part time workers.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just Beginning My Chico's Journey

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsOnly been on the job a week and still doing my training. So far the co-workers I've met seem pleasant though I haven't had the chance to really get to know anyone yet, and a lot of training is provided, albeit in the form of long, boring training videos. I prefer a more hands-on experience. Mgmt. is flexible with my schedule, which is appreciated as I am a student.

ConsSurprised more people aren't complaining about the degrading purse search they put you through at the end of every shift. I know a lot of retail stores do this, but right in the store in full view of customers?? Come on! This is extremely awkward, not to mention tacky. I would think a store like Chico's who wants to come across as classy wouldnt do such an unclassy thing with customers looking on. The other day this happened to me and I saw a customer staring. She probably didn't know I worked there and thought I was a shoplifter or something! If this procedure must continue, it needs to be changed so it's less embarrassing for employees. From now on I'm only going to take in my tiny makeup bag so the search won't be so obvious. Also, the clothes. Was told I am not required to buy Chico's clothes, but already made me try stuff on and it was pretty obvious that it would be wonderful if I become a Chico's customer as well. Too bad for them I actually came to EARN money, not SPEND it on this attractive but over priced clothing. Sorry ladies, can't afford it!

Advice to Senior ManagementI haven't been with the company long enough, but it's clear already managers are under a lot of pressure from higher ups to increase sales constantly. Seems like a lot of heartburn for a job that pays minimum wage. Forcing sales people to make phone calls to customers seems like a waste of time and annoying. People don't like being bugged on the phone. Kind of an old-fashioned way of doing business that nobody likes anymore. Get with the times so Chico's doesn't be seen as an old lady brand.

I worked two different stores. One was absolutely welcoming and friendly, the other was employed by snobby ladies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscounts and clothing are nice. The customers are always awesome.

ConsDepending which location you are located, managers are very unreasonable and stuck up.

Advice to Senior ManagementRegulate schedules and offer training to store managers to follow rules and be more friendly to associates, not just customers to make a sale.

an unhappy one

ProsPersonal shopping with customers Helping women build a great wardrobe. the bonus can be quite good.

ConsEveryday! coupons, quota's they seem to go off in a different direction every week. It's as though they keep trying new tactics, and hope they will find one that works. Absolutely no concept of work/life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementTry working on the sales floor for 3 months, so you can get genuine experience in the world of your customers and staff.

Unstable

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsSmaller store so it makes it easier to organize and clean up. Discount can be generous, BUT only during certain monthly promotions. Clothes can be stylish, but for younger employees selections can be limited.

ConsInconsistent hours and schedule. Hours can be cut at random when sales don't make their goal. They were not honest when I was hired that wearing Chicos clothing would be strongly encouraged, it not outright required. The clothing is expensive and constantly changing, it is impossible to keep buying on the salary they pay. If they are "encouraging" you to wear their clothes, (it is illegal in the state I live in to be required, that would be a uniform) a clothing allowance should be given. A good salesperson can skirt around not wearing all Chicos by suggesting similar clothes in the store. Constant coupons and promotions are very annoying and cheapen the brand. There is a large turnover in the store I work in and it has only been open for a few months! There is a sign for positions on the door, but very few inquiries. All retail is difficult, standing for hours, constant straightening, etc. is always the norm. Nothing different here. A couple of other surprises that were not addressed at hiring, restaging the ENTIRE store every month before opening, meaning 6 am to the minute before the store opens without an increase in pay for it! And that the closing sales staff has to CLEAN every night! As it sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning the windows, dumping the garbage, all included in the hourly page, no extra pay for this. Not explained. I have worked for J Crew and Banana Republic and never had to do any of these tasks, they had a cleaning crew. I feel very put upon and taken advantage of for all of these things.

Advice to Senior ManagementClothing allowance if this Chicos wardrobe issue continues. When I was hired, I thought that I would like to advance to management, not anymore. I see the stress the store manager is under and no thanks.

Micromanaged, constant pressure to make bonus

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLadies in my store were great, loved the customers and selling to them.

ConsDistrict manager demanded hourly reports on sales and then harassed all day to get numbers up. Degrading e-mails all day. Constant pressure.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us sell and leave us alone. We love our customers and want to help them but your pressure took all of the joy out of the job.

Bargains for all Customers-Lack of Concern for Associates

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)

ProsWonderful co-workers. Flexibility in schedule.

ConsThe hourly rates paid to the Associates and Sales Leads is pitiful. All personnel except for managers are part-time, not to mention that some shifts are 3 hours in length.
    The Commission system serves the SM who assigns all other personnel with the tasking so that the Sales Floor is owned by the SM. Bonus payouts of $800+/month to the SM (all derived for sales and not counting the EOM bonus for making plan) who prevents any other personnel from selling to make a few dollars is sickening to see in action. Chico's has created "sharks" on the floor. The Bonus system needs to be redone in some manner to create a TEAM atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevise Bonus system. Pay higher hourly rates and hire professional Managers. Cut the ever-changing sales and promotions--it forces the customer to always wait/look/expect the bargain-basement deal.

This company pays minimum wage and bonus, but makes bonus difficult to achieve due to continuous price cutting.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe location is convenient. The clothing discount is helpful.

ConsThe pay is low and bonus is usually out of reach no matter how hard you work. The upper management pushes but never pitches in. There is little room for promotion and I sense age discrimination due to the fact that they are trying to attract a younger clientele. They claim to hire from within, but management positions are often filled from the outside. We are pushed to recruit new people, but there is little incentive to offer. We have had a hiring sign on our door for the entire time I have worked there and we rarely get an inquiry. It is not possible to make a living wage below a store management position, and even at that level, sales goals are so high, stores rarely make sales plan. The training is all on computer tutorial, but time is limited and most learning occurs while doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider treating your employees with respect rather than confrontation. Stop changing the game and confusing staff and customers in erratic, reactionary moves to drive sales. Build a strategic plan and stick to it so that there is some pricing integrity in place. Customers have been trained to barter and employees have to discount merchandise so deeply it is impossible to achieve sales plans. Employees should be expected to take care of the customers who come through the door. Corporate is responsible for driving traffic. Quit making associates spend their time on constant calling campaigns. Use automated calls instead of man hours that should be used on the selling floor. Clean up the quality control in your manufacturing. Sizing is ridiculously inconsistent.

Worked for Chico's FAS? Contribute to the Community!

Chico's FAS Videos

Chico's FAS – Why Work for Us?

About Chico's FAS Inc. The Company, through its brands – Chico's, White House | Black Market, Soma Intimates, and Boston Proper, is a leading women's omni-channel specialty retailer of private branded, sophisticated… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Chico's FAS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Chico's FAS CEO David F. Dyer. All 414 reviews posted anonymously by Chico's FAS employees.