Chico's FAS

Updated December 18, 2014
2.9

Chico's FAS President, CEO, and Director David F. Dyer
David F. Dyer

Pros
  • Great discounts on clothes and fun to work with customers (in 15 reviews)

• Great discount if your store makes sales plan (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no concept of work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• 1000 of their social security money in order to make upper management happy (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Far too many inconsistencies from seasoned employees as to the CORRECT way to do things.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great discounts, especially those exceeding 40%

Cons

Commission structure is useless, and UNFAIR, considering it doesn't matter how much you sell per shift, but how much you make for store in each individual sale. THINK ECONOMY!! After being at Chico's for 8 months, my highest sales have been in the $300's, mainly because of all the commission killing sales/promotions the store always seems to have. I only yesterday made my first sale that crossed the $400 mark - a $711 sale ($1144 before promotional discount.).

I was VERY gipped out of any credit/commission for a high-end sale by my store manager. The customers (a daughter and wheel-chair bound mother) spent well over $500, after I worked tirelessly and exclusively for them (slow day) for over an hour. I was gathering another requested item, when I was shocked to find my store manager ringing in the customers' sale under her own assoc. #, claiming the women were "her" customers, and claimed to have greeted them at the entrance to store. (Big deal! I greet everyone who walks in the store. Doesn't mean I own them.)

Despite that, the manager proceeded to completely ignore "her" customers, who were carrying several items of clothing to try on, which I took from her & placed in a dressing room. The ladies then asked ME for MY help. I worked tirelessly for the women, who my store manager continued to ignore. Just an aside -- My store manager has, since I started, consistently told me to take care of ALL incoming customers (when it's just the 2 of us & unless it gets too busy), so she can do her bookkeeping work. PRETTY SLEEZY way to steal my first real commission!!

Change the ridiculous policy, about how customers become the property of the sales associate who happens to be standing closest to door. If I EVER start working with someone's customer, BY ACCIDENT, a simple signal or mention by that sales associate would be greatly appreciated!! I do ask customers if they are already working with someone, but few consider a quick "hello" at the door as working with them.

Not The Worst Retail Job

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Ocean City, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Ocean City, MD

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not just a "normal" retail sale's job where you take clothes out of boxes and fold sweaters. You are a STYLE EXPERT who become personal stylist for customers. Instead of just standing in the fitting rooms counting items and unlocking doors, you analyze the customer's personal style, then build outfits and help find items to add on to the pieces that the customer select. You also give feedback on different looks or ideas and give styling tips. THIS JOB IS GREAT BECAUSE IT'S LIKE YOU ARE JUST SHOPPING ALL DAY (just for someone else).

Cons

Paying wages and commission scales are too LOW. There are also A LOT of price and visual updates, that are time consuming and consist of changing displays and the store's layout.

Reviewing pay and commission rates. Add more positions in stores who's roles focuses are more around the store's visual merchandising and price changes.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Chico's FAS

Pros

The managers really value their employees and they will work with your schedule if you are a student.

Cons

The corporate issued discounts. Virtually every day there is some new major sale so that creates stress for the sales team...a lot of returns and price adjustments.

Keep up the good work!

I learned to service customers on a one on one basis.

I have been working at Chico's FAS

Pros

They are ok to work for

Cons

You can grown in the company if you are willing to work hard

Very warm

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer
    Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer

I worked at Chico's FAS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very friendliy and you might want to be a leader and make sure you are nice to the older people since its a older crowd..get this Money and make sure you get that raised..

Cons

You have to get use to the old crowd.or remember this people are like your grandmother..but they move that money..so get it early and don't get to sign that full time benefit shift

Yeah...get to coprate and stop playing games

Assistant manager

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Chico's FAS

Pros

Working with a lot of great people and building strong relationships with many of the customers.

Cons

Working on a Bonus system that is increasingly difficult to make any money from. Very poor raises, started at 10.50 an hour and ten years later at 14.41. We used to laugh at how insulting the raises were. The constant calling campaigns and promos to bring in customers were ridiculous, they knew that a sale was always happening. Product that repeated year after year and the quality was not always great and higher prices. We were expected to go out and solicit business and tons of pressure to make numbers that were out of reach.

Look at the product and the prices. Chico's used to be unique. Pay people a fair wage and live up to the values that are talked about so much. Realize that you have a lot of dedicated hardworking associates that are getting discouraged and do something about it.

Could be better

I have been working at Chico's FAS

Pros

Not a difficult job too do

Cons

Not enough money and too many get away with playing around

Let the leads be leads and not get in trouble for repermanding an associate

Its a job, nothing more.

Current Employee - Style Expert in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Style Expert in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bonus System working with interesting ladies.

Cons

Horrible management, you'll never get fired but they will force you to quit. Chico;s is a revolving door, the culture of the company is going down hill and the quality of the clothing is rapidly decreasing.

The management is sneak, the smart people who want to grow get their experience and leave as soon as possible. If you choose not to suck up to the district and the regional, their is no room for advancement.

New employee

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everything sounds great going in - but the training is lacking, the computer vids do not even work. Co-workers are nice, manager is awesome. Clothes I believe in - there is nothing better than Chico's clothing.

Cons

Training is very lacking. Videos which are about 75% of training do not work. There is one sales associate who attempts to sabotage those of us who are new employees by giving us bogus information, tips, and she steals our customers - I find this bizarre!! There are no hours given to work. Two of us who are new are not given any work for 2 weeks and then just 5 hours the following week. It makes no sense and is frustrating. I want to work and work hard. Have proven myself selling in the few days have been there. But does not matter. No hours. Will stay there hoping it improves and looking for another part time job so that I can eat in the meantime.

Spread out the hours more between your employees. Fire the lady that is so obviously sabotaging your new employees and stealing customers. There should be no stealing of other associates customers allowed or tolerated. Encourage working together as a team and helping each other, being happy for other's successes. Give the good people the hours to work. Otherwise, management is perfect. Manager may be blind to bad employee that is like a cloud of oppression over everyone who she works with.

Love the atmosphere but the pay is a disgrace with the amount of work we do.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Chico's FAS as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great discounts-- Work with a pretty great bunch of ladies!

Cons

The pay is 1980's it's horrible to offer a seasoned experienced employee 8.50hr. The work is hard at times-- never enough time to really help customers when were really busy. I really wish you paid a decent wage and offered really good outstanding employees full time employment.

If you want employees to form a customer book and try to make appointments it would help if their shifts were longer. 4 hours here 4 hours there. Your larger stores need at least 2 full time employees not counting the assistant managers.