Chico's FAS

Updated December 18, 2014
2.9

Chico's FAS President, CEO, and Director David F. Dyer
David F. Dyer

Pros
  • Great discounts on clothes and fun to work with customers (in 15 reviews)

• Great discount if your store makes sales plan (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Absolutely no concept of work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• 1000 of their social security money in order to make upper management happy (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clinton Township, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Clinton Township, MI

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the clothes. The Customers were great.

Cons

The Company really micro manages everything.
    The Managers all throw each other under the bus when if they would actually just work and not stand around gossiping about how they call HR on each other. The only person I liked was the former Store Manager, she was nice and seemed to care about the all of us Sales Associates. Its sad that the only decent Manager we had is now gone. I can't blame her for leaving, I did to shortly after. Who would want to work with the fake, lazy backstabbing women that are the "Managers"

Your Managers should be able to Manage, not answer the phone giving all kinds of crazy infomation like #'s every 4 hours.
    I would think a big company can see that online. When managers are allowed to stand around & gossip all day then suddenly have to cut hours because the business is "slow" when in all reality it was busy & 1 Sales girl in the fitting room while the two Assitstand Managers stand around complaining how much they hate their jobs shouldn't be allowed to cut other employees hours because they wasted theirs" The new Sales Leader is not much better.

Sales Associate, 5+ years, Tampa Bay Florida.
    COMPANY STANDARDS HAVE CHANGED....

I have been working at Chico's FAS

Pros

Lately NO Pros. Company emphasizes customer service, however with sales constantly changing we are NOT providing good customer service. More & more are getting aggravated & not shopping!! We are always hearing, especially with new merchandize, "No I'll just wait because it will be on sale in a couple weeks & if you don't have, I'll just order it"!!

Cons

Low bonus $ due to numerous sales & customers' constantly getting coupons. Low hourly $. Stress 2 appointments per shift, however when you don't work for 5 days(store has low hours), your not even there to make appointments
    or you schedule appointments & your hours are cut because store is over hours.....how can someone actually meet that quota?? Again, not good customer service when your customer comes in looking for you & your NOT THERE!! Is this good MAPS?? NO!!!!! $$$ lost for the associate too!! Totally unfair!!

Stop constantly changing things!!! Maybe you need to do a survey with Associates to find out exactly what is going on in Your Stores!! Hear it right from the people who are actually "face to face" with the customers!! Get rid of "dead weight" Store Managers who ONLY CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES & NOT THEIR STORES OR THEIR STAFF!! I have one in my store & am baffled everyday how she keeps her job!! She's real good at BS...ing the DSM!! Chico's needs to get back to what the Brand was 3+ years ago!! Prices are going up & style & quality down! Go back to the styles that made CHICO'S the name they were!!

Ok company

I worked at Chico's FAS

Pros

Training is okay. Company values are good.

Cons

Pay is poor. Typical retail hours.

This is a great place to work if you do not need benefits or a salary.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Chico's FAS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with the staff and customers. the scheduling is easy and everyone gets along. Even during the holidays the management tries to work around everyone's schedule.

Cons

The district managers do not manage to the core values. They do not train their managers and they they do not embody respect and integrity. When senior managers do not hold themselves to the same standard as they are teaching I find it hard to pass down the same information to my staff.

Tough place to live

Former Employee - Corporate/Creative in Fort Myers, FL
    Former Employee - Corporate/Creative in Fort Myers, FL

I worked at Chico's FAS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great pay (because of the bad location, you have the upper hand on negotiating a high salary if they really want you). great re-location package. great benefits. great bonuses based on your division's sales (1 year bonus was 15% of my salary). due to the low cost of living, you can build a nice nest egg if you can last longer than the 2 year relocation contract.

sunshine, beautiful pristine beaches nearby, swimming pools

if you stay past 2 years then you will most likely get promoted, if for no other reason than there is such a high turnover and need to fill positions. if you are employed during a period of fast growth then you can most likely build a stable position within the company. there is also opportunity for growth cross-functionally.

Cons

I worked for white house/black market. There are 2 categories of cons: the location and the job itself.

Location: really, really bad. small town w/ transient / seasonal living. it's a retirement community, not for young/single/creative types. no night life, art scene or music scene. limited shopping. limited dating. police are overly aggressive and intimidating. unless you live in a house then you will live in a condo association and these are rigid and bogged down w/ rules, violations, etc. again: it's a retirement community that really lacks any opportunity or growth. chico's is by far the biggest (only) job creator in this area. when the housing market collapsed most growth in this area aside from chico's came to a screeching halt.

Job: poor work/life balance. expected to work 8am - at least 8pm on average, and often expected to work weekends.
    very top heavy / upper management heavy. i suppose this can be said for most corporate environments. but a vp approval was needed for something that mid or lower management should have been able to approve. vp should not be worrying about rhinestone color approval.
    it's a retail product, so it's a fast paced and busy environment. changes are made at the last minute. the brand is understaffed due to high turnover (high turnover due to location) and employees get tired and worn down - often you can see it in their physical appearance.
    it's a very conservative, repetitive product. afraid to take risks. the brand cares most about what will sell, which tends to be the same silhouettes over and over. the biggest selling point in design is what new color will be added to the white & black mix.

it's very difficult, or takes time, to meet people and socialize outside of the job. it's also a "competitive" environment. combined this means that you will frequently socialize w/ coworkers. this leaves little room for separation from the workplace, both physically and mentally.

all of the on-site facilities are just another way to keep employees close-at-hand and working long hours

CHANGE CORPORATE HEADQUARTERS LOCATION. fashion is cutting edge and requires creative types. creative types do not flourish in a stunted environment w/o cultural icons.

stop micro-managing the small details. give employees a sense of knowledge and empowerment. mentor instead of punish.

positive place to work.

Former Employee - Key Holder
    Former Employee - Key Holder

I worked at Chico's FAS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great customers, very loyal to salespeople.

Cons

difficult that you don't get your schedule until 2-3 days before work week starts.

schedule more in advance

My first year at Chico's has been very interesting and enlightening but not financially rewarding.

Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employee discount, flexible work schedule, generally a pleasant work atmosphere

Cons

Poor bonus structure combined with low hourly wage
    Frequent promotions and coupons reduce sales and bonus opportunities
    Limited store supplies
    Limited sizes in stock available for customers to try on
    Poor retention of managers and associates
    Limited training/coaching of new employees

Rethink in-store Bonus structure in light of frequent promotions/coupons and constant manager/associate turnover. There is most likely a relationship there.

great place to work because of the people at my location. great training for staff.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Chico's FAS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the opportunity to spend time working one on one with a customer really focusing on the whole shopping experience not just selling her clothes. I worked at an outlet location and still developed and maintained a significant repeat clientele list that I had established actual relationships with.

Cons

the company does not pay it's employees enough of a competitive rate. they expect top quality customer service and could invest more in their employees to ensure this quality.

management in my store was amazing. on the district level he seemed to be quite removed from the day to day interaction level of the business and often would not be able to relate or really comprehend certain situations because of this.

Chico's FAS was ok

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Winder, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Winder, GA

I have been working at Chico's FAS part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

Cons

Some of the shifts required late nights and/or weekend work. The pay could have been better.

I felt like a number.

Great Experience, super flexible!

Current Employee - Allocation in Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Allocation in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Chico's FAS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great work/life balance
    - Management values your opinions and ideas for big picture
    - Good benefits (clinic, gym on site, and unlimited sick days)
    - you own your department (no micro managers)

Cons

- promotions aren't always given to those who best deserves them
    - high turnover (expected in retail)
    - Not enough field/store trips to ensure inventory quality and integrity