Child Development

CEO

Site Supervisor

Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Child Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great starter job. The company provides a lot of training as a professional, taught me management and leadership skills, and to take initiative. I have always felt listened to when there was concern or if I wanted to explore a project. If you show compassion for what you do, you will be recognized (just not in monetary gains).

Cons

Out of the three years there, I did not receive a raise. I was only able to get a higher income in advancing from Assistant Site Supervisor to Site Supervisor, and another based on cost of living. Also, in the recent times, there has been a lot of turn over because of new management, which has started to lead to micro-managing.

My advice to management would be to invest more in it's employees, and finding alternatives to micro managing the supervisors. There is too much paper work that is required for supervisors to do that it takes away from them actually leading and running a center and planning events at the center.

This was a decent company to work for.

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Irvine, CA

I worked at Child Development

Pros

My absolute favorite part when I first started was the fellow teachers I worked with. They were so helpful in my learning how things were done. The second, and what kept me there after the friends that I had made with the teachers were all the children. They kept me laughing, and made it so exciting to come and teach them everything I could.

Cons

Was the director, and another teacher that were left. I tried to hold out because I loved the kids, but in the end, I couldn't bring myself to stay. I even had let upper people know how I felt.
    The pay is not that great. I was there over 2 years and never a raise. Another teacher was there 4 years without a raise.

Listen to the teachers, and when you do an evaluation of the directors, make sure they are not the one we hand the evaluation to without an envelope.......

acting controller/accounting manager

Current Employee - Accounting Manager/Acting Controller in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager/Acting Controller in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Child Development

Pros

a good working environment and good location

Cons

average pay low for all the position compared to industries.

good benefits with lack of pay

Current Employee - Teacher in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Child Development full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good health benefits and professional growth opportunities. They allow staffs to achieve free training. They have paid holidays.

Cons

no pay raise... although they have been hiring multiple positions in the company. I've moved up in my position for one and a half years but did not see a pay raise. I have continued to push for my raise but was denied by HR.

Increase pay raise will allow companies to keep good hard working staffs.

Associate Teacher

Former Employee - Associate Teacher
    Former Employee - Associate Teacher

I worked at Child Development full-time (more than a year)

Pros

It was great experience working with the children and they had free, comprehensive trainings for their staff and the staff (for the most part) were great to work with

Cons

Little to no training initially, outrageous expectations for teachers with no time provided to get quality work accomplished, could not guarantee summer hours based off of low enrollment, disorganized management, little to no room for lateral growth

This company has heart, but lacks in leadership, market share and understanding the needs of it's primary customers.

I have been working at Child Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are liked by the upper management then you have a job (lousy pay) for life. Because they don't hold managers responsible nor do they evaluate these manager's lackluster decisions, so they have no idea where they are going. It's kinda sad because if they listen to the people that have been successful in assisting other companies, then they could really make a difference and pay their employees a decent wage and give them the promised (5 years now) raises. But for some unknown reason this non-profit company has been around for sometime now, so they keep pouring good money after bad. I will be retiring soon and feel a little guilty because none of us were able to help but kept the status quo. I have a lot of friends here.

Cons

They recently hired a Chief Business Officer whose Capella (online) degree is lacking in actually know how and leadership! This is the highest grade she has obtained and her ego allows her to chop heads based on personality alone. The company is full of long term (3+) temporary workers (low pay, no benefits, no respect) and on any given Friday can be told to not report on Monday which happens more than I would like to recall.

Hold off removing good people until the new gal can prove her mettle. If you continue year-after-year losing money... then start deleting folks from the top and not those following orders.

It was ok, not very organized or professional

Former Employee - Mentor Teacher in Elk Grove, CA
    Former Employee - Mentor Teacher in Elk Grove, CA

I worked at Child Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Loved the work with the kids

Cons

Hated all of the political bullcrap that interferes with the job

Be consistant

Potential to do great work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Child Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits for full and part time employees; great training/leadership opportunities; quality programs for children and familes; supportive resources (program, CCFP).

Cons

Work load for center staff is unrealistic; not a lot of opportunity for job advancement/movement; haven't had raises in 4 years; little or no acknowledgment of hard work; loss of values; inconsistent/late yearly performance reviews

Senior managment needs to bring back the values through role modeling. Work to build trust with every employee. Offer time to meet with individuals and get to know centers, staff and communities. Do not make assumptions but ask questions and seek knowledge. Work through peoples strengths. Do not let the power of the position drive your work; it's the people that will bring success. Walk the talk.