Child Guidance

1.3

CEO

Sour Grapes...

I have been working at Child Guidance full-time

Pros

I have worked for CGRC for more than 10 years and can honestly say the poor reviews included on here must be from disgruntled former employees. CGRC provides the highest quality of mental health services to children and families in the Delaware Valley and values all of its employees.

Cons

Like everywhere, salaries could be higher with increased benefits.

I think I have PTSD from my time here. Seriously.

I worked at Child Guidance

Pros

Until the near-end I was allowed autonomy and given the freedom to be the creative, inspired, and out-of-the-box therapist I have become over the years. However in their recent restructure of the dept, any freedom to be that (despite my track record of success and constant flow of testimonials from my clients) was given over to the agency's desire to have non-thinking automatons as employees.

Cons

Their motto seems to be make as much money as possible, strive for grand sweeping change to minutia and never strive for more clinically, and hire people who don't threaten your fragile senses of self. A smart business hires and promotes those who are more intelligent and more creative even than its superiors. A penny-wise and pound-foolish one, however, drives away the employees who are smartest, keenest, and see the big picture more fully than the administration possibly can from their ivory towers. Good luck to them. They need it.

Read the above. Take heed. You will certainly thrive if you take this to heart.

Back stabbing supervisor Wharton in Coatesville

Former Employee - BSC and MT in Coatesville, PA
    Former Employee - BSC and MT in Coatesville, PA

I worked at Child Guidance part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've tried to consider what might be positive about the location, environment, supervision and work, but I cannot find anything except that there was a kitchen in the office.

Cons

Working without much assistance from supervisors. Being told "I'm giving you this difficult case because I think you can handle it." But, that really meant I'm setting you up to fail because everyone else has failed too. Blaming client issues on the clinician. Do not make supervision sessions about productivity and bringing in money. Make them about how best to serve the clients through supporting your people in the field.

Get to know all of your employees. Do not depend upon the supervisors to inform you about your employees. Perform exit interviews with all employees regardless of whether they resign or are let go. Make the environment one where "retribution" is not an issue. Encourage honest feedback because "retribution" will not be an issue. If a supervisor makes negative comments about an employee (current or who has just left), provide that information to the employee and give the employee the opportunity to face his/her accuser in a neutral setting where you, management, can hear both sides and make an enlightened decision.

Good

Former Employee - Group Counselor
    Former Employee - Group Counselor

I worked at Child Guidance full-time

Pros

Working with a lot of great colleagues as well as clients

Cons

The hours are not stable

Beware

Former Employee - Outpatient Services in Havertown, PA
    Former Employee - Outpatient Services in Havertown, PA

I worked at Child Guidance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work and able to use your skills

Cons

Very little support from management. There are favorites among the work staff and if you are not one you will not last.

Company is basically run by one guy and an "old boy" network Board. Main emphasis is make money. Step outside the box and you are history.

Horrible place to work. More of a factory than professional

Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Havertown, PA
    Current Employee - Behavior Specialist in Havertown, PA

I have been working at Child Guidance

Pros

They leave you alone to do your job

Cons

Management is clinically incompetent and does not care about client outcomes. They only care about the bottom line.

no advice

Unfair!

Current Employee - Mental Health Worker (Adult Services) in Havertown, PA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Worker (Adult Services) in Havertown, PA

I have been working at Child Guidance

Pros

Flexible
    You can work at different sites
    Clients are enjoyable to be around
    Easy job

Cons

Favoritism
    No advancement
    Co-workers make your job difficult with laziness and bad attitudes
    Management is slow in implementing change and disciplining staff
    Disorganized
    Poor decision making regarding clients
    Do not always have the clients interest at heart

Stop choosing employees based on favoritism and personal background. Choose people who are competent, has patience with clients, and takes their job seriously.