Child Trends

Carol Emig

THE best place to work!

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People in Child Trends are super nice! The leadership team is very supportive and provides suggestions and/or assistance with the work whenever needed. And the researchers and staff in Child Trends are smart AND thoughtful. We really enjoy working with and learning from each other when doing the highest quality of work in support of our mission. Because of such a amiable politics-free environment, I personally have become more positive and self-confident after working at Child Trends.

Cons

As Child Trends is growing fast, there are even more interesting projects and promising opportunities and it's been hard to pursue all of them. So I have to say "no" once in a while.

Great mission, people, and place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Child Trends

Pros

Smart and dedicated people working on important issues to improve the lives of children and youth. Child Trends work is widely viewed by policymakers, media, nonprofit organizations. Good benefits and flexible work hours are attractive. Management embraces work-life balance for staff. Very little office politics. Atmosphere in friendly, team-oriented, results-oriented. Organization is experiencing rapid growth--20% in last year.

Cons

As organization grows it can be challenging to keep up with hiring enough staff to meet the demands, which can be a good problem as opposed to not growing.

Jan 29, 2015Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We are excited to be growing because of the opportunities it creates for all staff, but particularly those at mid and junior levels, to grow faster and take on new roles. And, yes, we need to do it ... More

Nice group of people

I have been working at Child Trends

Pros

Organization that has a solid mission and intelligent folks.

Cons

Atmosphere/company policies are antiquated. Not particularly generous with vacation or perks. Technology is really outdated. With comparison to company culture/technology and benefits, other non-profits of this size and budget manage to offer much more than Child Trends does.

Jan 29, 2015Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

Our benefits are better than many of our peers. We offer our medical and other plans at costs lower than national averages, and more people use them here (83%) than do nationally (79%) or compared to ... More

Have 5+ years here; Child Trends maintains its deserved reputation for high-quality, accessible work.

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vital, collegial atmosphere. Lots of thoughtful, intelligent co-workers. Reasonably diverse staff. Opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

workload can sometimes seesaw in response to chasing and landing contracts. Some issues with equity across content areas, in terms of opportunities for interaction on multiple projects.

Need to carve out some spec work, to preserve some independence from funders.

Jan 29, 2015Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

It is such a compliment to everyone here at Child Trends to have someone who has been here more than five years describe us as "vital" and having "opportunities for advancement"; this is exactly the ... More

Dream come true!

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is extremely welcoming, nice, and supportive. I feel like I have learned so much from my colleagues, yet have also had multiple opportunities to share my expertise. Management really seems to care about us, and the company is very flexible. It also feels great to work for a company that is so well respected in the field.

Cons

They do their best to support the transition of new hires, but the work builds up very quickly so you have to be ready to hit the ground running. There could be some improvement in articulation of project deadlines, especially when you are working on multiple projects so you know what to prioritize.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Child Trends almost 4 years now, and have enjoyed every minute of it. I often feel guilty when I hear friends complaining about how unsatisfied they are in their jobs and with their employers, because I feel the opposite. My supervisors have always been very supportive of me, and encouraged and given me the opportunities to grown and advance. Upper management honestly strives for us to have a work-life balance, which is not common in the DC area. All of this on top of the fact that the work we do TRULY matters.

Cons

Sadly, summer is the busiest time of year. As Child Trends funds its work primarily through grants and contracts, many of which come out in late spring/early summer, we must "earn our keep." But it slows back down again!

While management encourages work life balance, the implementation varies by program area, so continue to work w/ senior staff on setting the example.

Smart people, who are also nice! A great place to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Child Trends is a good place to work, especially for the DC area - people are a lot nicer than I've heard they are elsewhere. There are good flex policies (many people work remotely, at least partially) and there are clear steps to promotion, so you can count on growth. The company has a big emphasis on mentoring employees and letting people work across program areas, and is always looking for ways to improve retention. The salaries are pretty good for mid-level employees (me), though the cost of living in this area is still a problem for anyone who is not loaded. Probably 95% of the people here are women, which is not a pro or con, but might say something about the company culture. The president of the org is AMAZING, smart and very accessible. The org is always growing and jobs are fairly secure.

Cons

Because Child Trends has a great reputation, we keep getting more work. We keep hiring people, but sometimes the work load can be a challenge.

You talk a lot about work-life balance, which is great, but it's hard for people to voice that they have too much to do when they're trying to move up the ladder. It'd be great if supervisors could get some training or notice to be on the lookout for reports who are working a lot of extra time or skipping lunches, to tell their staff that they recognize that, and to re-distribute the workload accordingly.

Depending on the Team - Area of work, work experiences vary. Some teams are better to work for than others.

I have been working at Child Trends full-time

Pros

Its a solid place to work right after college, you get some on the field experience.

Cons

Compensation rates are really low, however it is a non profit.

Getting even better

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people, high level of expertise and training, willing to listen to any ideas on how to make the place better--and it's working. New staff council is a great addition. And our new location is Bethesda is BEAUTIFUL and right in the middle of everything!

The organization had a great year last year (after a series of good years), so the projects and opportunities are getting more exciting all the time.

Cons

None... well, ok, a roof top deck would complete the picture!

Keep listening

Mission driven and grounded in the facts about children and families

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Child Trends is grounded in its mission - Research to improve children's lives - and all staff share this common goal. The work we do is interesting, and management is supportive of tailoring our work to our interests.

Cons

Writing proposals for new work is an important but disruptive (to current work) activity. Child Trends is still working to make this process less stressful.

Strive to hire more ethnic/culturally diverse personnel so we can better represent the demographics we research.

Child Trends Photos

First day in the new office.

+ Add Photo