Child Trends

Carol Emig

THE best place to work!

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People in Child Trends are super nice! The leadership team is very supportive and provides suggestions and/or assistance with the work whenever needed. And the researchers and staff in Child Trends are smart AND thoughtful. We really enjoy working with and learning from each other when doing the highest quality of work in support of our mission. Because of such a amiable politics-free environment, I personally have become more positive and self-confident after working at Child Trends.

Cons

As Child Trends is growing fast, there are even more interesting projects and promising opportunities and it's been hard to pursue all of them. So I have to say "no" once in a while.

Feb 10, 2015Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

You summarized it so well! "We really enjoy working with and learning from each other when doing the highest quality of work in support of our mission." That really is th heart of it. Thank you for ... More

Great mission, people, and place to work

Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Child Trends

Pros

Smart and dedicated people working on important issues to improve the lives of children and youth. Child Trends work is widely viewed by policymakers, media, nonprofit organizations. Good benefits and flexible work hours are attractive. Management embraces work-life balance for staff. Very little office politics. Atmosphere in friendly, team-oriented, results-oriented. Organization is experiencing rapid growth--20% in last year.

Cons

As organization grows it can be challenging to keep up with hiring enough staff to meet the demands, which can be a good problem as opposed to not growing.

Jan 29, 2015Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

We are excited to be growing because of the opportunities it creates for all staff, but particularly those at mid and junior levels, to grow faster and take on new roles. And, yes, we need to do it ... More

Great place to work

Current Employee - Research Scientist
    Current Employee - Research Scientist

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Child Trends almost 4 years now, and have enjoyed every minute of it. I often feel guilty when I hear friends complaining about how unsatisfied they are in their jobs and with their employers, because I feel the opposite. My supervisors have always been very supportive of me, and encouraged and given me the opportunities to grown and advance. Upper management honestly strives for us to have a work-life balance, which is not common in the DC area. All of this on top of the fact that the work we do TRULY matters.

Cons

Sadly, summer is the busiest time of year. As Child Trends funds its work primarily through grants and contracts, many of which come out in late spring/early summer, we must "earn our keep." But it slows back down again!

While management encourages work life balance, the implementation varies by program area, so continue to work w/ senior staff on setting the example.

Have 5+ years here; Child Trends maintains its deserved reputation for high-quality, accessible work.

Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Vital, collegial atmosphere. Lots of thoughtful, intelligent co-workers. Reasonably diverse staff. Opportunities for growth and advancement.

Cons

workload can sometimes seesaw in response to chasing and landing contracts. Some issues with equity across content areas, in terms of opportunities for interaction on multiple projects.

Need to carve out some spec work, to preserve some independence from funders.

Jan 29, 2015Senior Vice President for Research and Operations

It is such a compliment to everyone here at Child Trends to have someone who has been here more than five years describe us as "vital" and having "opportunities for advancement"; this is exactly the ... More

Dream come true!

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone here is extremely welcoming, nice, and supportive. I feel like I have learned so much from my colleagues, yet have also had multiple opportunities to share my expertise. Management really seems to care about us, and the company is very flexible. It also feels great to work for a company that is so well respected in the field.

Cons

They do their best to support the transition of new hires, but the work builds up very quickly so you have to be ready to hit the ground running. There could be some improvement in articulation of project deadlines, especially when you are working on multiple projects so you know what to prioritize.

Getting even better

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people, high level of expertise and training, willing to listen to any ideas on how to make the place better--and it's working. New staff council is a great addition. And our new location is Bethesda is BEAUTIFUL and right in the middle of everything!

The organization had a great year last year (after a series of good years), so the projects and opportunities are getting more exciting all the time.

Cons

None... well, ok, a roof top deck would complete the picture!

Keep listening

Mission driven and grounded in the facts about children and families

Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Child Trends is grounded in its mission - Research to improve children's lives - and all staff share this common goal. The work we do is interesting, and management is supportive of tailoring our work to our interests.

Cons

Writing proposals for new work is an important but disruptive (to current work) activity. Child Trends is still working to make this process less stressful.

Strive to hire more ethnic/culturally diverse personnel so we can better represent the demographics we research.

Wow, what amazing people, who are really using research to change the world.

I have been working at Child Trends

Pros

The people are wicked smart--and nice.
    My colleagues are experts in their fields, and I learn every day.
    The organization is growing quickly, which means more opportunity.

Cons

Nothing; I am so happy here!

A flexible workplace with lots of room for career growth!

I have been working at Child Trends full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mission focused
    Care about quality products
    Work with very smart colleagues who share their knowledge to improve your development
    A flexible family friendly environment and schedule
    High integrity in the people and the work
    You want to be friends with your colleagues even outside of work

Cons

A very organized person can succeed here because it requires skillful time management to get your work done and not feel overwhelmed.

Reward people in creative ways for their accomplishments. A raise and a promotion are always nice, but sometimes public acknowledgement or other bonuses would also work well.

Top-notch mission-driven research organization

Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Research Scientist in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Child Trends full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meaningful, mission-driven research to improve kids lives.
    Friendly and talented colleagues (no egos).
    Superior management.
    Autonomy to pursue work of interest to you.
    Growing at a solid rate over time (even during recession), with good management of growth.
    Very strong benefits, particularly retirement benefit.

Cons

Particularly for smaller projects, timelines & budgets can be tight (at times, too tight for comfort).
    Almost all research positions are funded by soft money (i.e., government and foundation grants), although this is typical for similar research organizations.

Keep up the good work!

Child Trends Photos

First day in the new office.

+ Add Photo