ChildServe

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Lloyd Vanderkwaak

ChildServe is a fantastic company to work with.

Respite Service Assistant (Former Employee) Johnston, IA

ProsThey treat their employees well and is run on the mission of helping children with disabilities. Kids are great to work with so it is fun and rewarding.

ConsIt can be very draining when children are unable or unwilling to listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! There is not a single person who doesn't value your commitment.

The worst management to ever encounter...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe children are amazing and are very fun to work with.
    Most employees are fun to work with and are encouraging.

ConsTime-off policies - I would put in a request for time off and it would sit for MONTHS or WEEKS with no response.
    Management - Management would write employees up for items that should be a TEAM effort, not an individual effort.
    Culture - Discrimination against employees that are not the "same" as the others...

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Get rid of the bad nursing management staff and work out the issues. The discriminatory nature of the workplace will cause lawsuits and issues down the road.

A time for growth and learning

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe kids you work with are fantastic. Coworkers were amazing and went out of their way to be helpful. They provide lots of training for employees to better serve clients at no cost to the employee.

ConsThe leadership was pretty shaky, at best. Some managers were great and helpful. Unfortunately much of the managerial staff just wound up in leadership positions with no training of how to be a leader. I think this resulted from ChildServe growing faster than they could hire (and retain) new workers. I found many of my managers to be detached from their employees and to be pretty passive and unaware of things happening in the workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore management positions are needed. Management training is needed. An occupational therapist went to school to be a therapist. He will need training and mentorship to learn how to become a good manager. He needs to do more than read a leadership book.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

LOVE the kids, but the leadership does not enforce policies.

ProsThe kids are awesome. I love getting to know them and forming relationships with them.
    I work in one of the residential homes, and I can honestly say I love what I do.
    "Helping children with special health care needs live a great life." I feel that I'm able to live out that mission every time I go to work.
    Most of the people at ChildServe are incredibly welcoming and friendly.
    There are many different areas to work in.
    The training courses they provide for the staff are excellent.
    Though I sometimes have long hours, my work is not incredibly demanding, and I have time to sit and relax with the kids while on the job.

ConsThe culture of the location where I work is quite honestly... lazy. Most people do the minimum of what's required of them, or not even that. Policies are not followed, and the leadership does not address these problems adequately in my opinion.
    I have irregular hours and on occasion have been required to work 14+ hour shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe mission & vision of ChildServe and the manner in which job descriptions and policies are written are AWESOME. However, in my experience, they are often not practiced. Emphasize the importance of sticking to policy to all supervisors as well as employees. I am a direct patient care worker and I appreciate having policies and protocols in place for quality control. I need a supervisor who is assertive and advocates for our children, while at the same time respects my input and experiences.

Uplifting place to work!

Nurse (Current Employee) Johnston, IA

ProsWonderful children and great team players! It's wonderful to be a part of the children's successes. ChildServe is dedicated to helping children live a great life. The combination of resources and talents - therapy, case management, healthcare- really helps improve kids quality of life

ConsIt can be emotionally draining at times. It's hard when kids aren't doing well. While you get to celebrate their successes with them, you are also there during setbacks and bad days.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe educational focus is great, please keep this up! Sometimes HR moves slow. It was really difficult to get hired at ChildServe because no one called for the longest time and the interview process took forever.

ChildServe has encouraged my growth both as an employee and as a person.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Johnston, IA

ProsI love working at ChildServe because I spend my day with some of the greatest kids in the world, and the staff I work with treat each other like family.

ConsThe biggest downside is the emotional toll it takes on you when a child you are caring for is seriously ill. It is also difficult when you find you do not have enough time in your work day to be able to do everything you want to be able to do for the children you are caring for.

No room for growth here

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI honestly can't think of any.

ConsNo room for growth here.

Worked for ChildServe? Contribute to the Community!