Childhelp

Be The First To
Add Photos

Worked there for 4 years, left, then tried it again...not any better

Lignum, VA

Prosthe children and most staff are inspiring and will touch your heart and change the course of your life

Consthe board and upper management are completely out of touch, have zero experience with children or social services, and this leads to a focus on profits (though it is a NON profit organization), job-threats, and an oppressive environment

Advice to Senior Managementseveral generations of boards of directors as well as countless local managers have shown that Childhelp as an organization is neither willing nor able to create real positive change. It's time to sell to a stronger agency that can remain focused on our mission.

Train wreck derailing by the day...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLignum's village has a collective heart that beats louder than 1,000,000 times the ineptitude of certain slithering lizards who purportedly lead this facility. That spirit sustains the souls of children who need help.

ConsIn the past few years, I have kept quiet and observed several passionate, intelligent, and visionary leaders grace the grounds in Culpeper, Virginia. I've watched as they all strove to improve the turpitude masquerading as status quo. Children continue to arrive wide-eyed and faithful. Senior management in Arizona perpetuates a depth of mediocrity that baffles me. Why? Why create only to destroy? Are not the children worthwhile?

Advice to Senior ManagementSara and Yvonne should make a bold move. Donate one years's salary to provide one year's bonuses. Your direct care staff deserves as much. Reclaim your reputations.

Hostile work environment

Phoenix, AZ

ProsI enjoy working with the kids.

ConsAdministration, Constantly changing - no consistency, Salaries not reflective of education and experience

Advice to Senior Management1) Great, you moved. Is the rent cheaper? Why do you keep downsizing rather than Yvonne and Sara - "the ladies" taking a pay cut? 2) Now that there's no CPS...you could jump on that especially with Bell on the original committee 3)When writing a grant- write so your employees get a raise annually. Otherwise it makes it a dead end job with no positive movement. 4) When you have an internal candidate that is qualified - don't hire an external candidate that has less experience than the internal just because you don't mesh doesn't mean that you're not the problem.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Gave my all: skillset, talents, personal and professional sacrifice, also my heart.

Senior Management (Former Employee)
    Lignum, VA

ProsChance to impact the lives of children to whom I have dedicated my professional life, some truly devoted staff with good intentions, gorgeous grounds, nice facilities

ConsMoney mismanagement, lack of investment in primary revenue source (the villages), poor training, previously overindulged veteran staff drive down morale with constant complaining, internal bickering, and gossip, questionable therapeutic and academic practices in the clinical and educational realm that are unable to be changed due to fearful culture and silencing by senior management at national headquarters when those within are seeking to cooperate transparently with licensing, job threats, mysterious hirings and firings, discombobulated management at villages, national management intent primarily on self advancement or resume building, and no end in sight to the problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is for the board: Hire talent with integrity who remain dedicated to the mission of eradicating child abuse and equip them with the proper resources. If the founders were serious about resolving the financial problems of Childhelp, they would forego their nearly half a million dollar a year collective salaries as a gesture of solidarity that would resonate with every employee of Childhelp, nationally. It is improper to profit from an organization in such financial crisis as Childhelp. I am disappointed by my experience as a former member of executive management, regionally. If you cannot empower your managers with the very basic resources required to improve regulatory compliance and ensure quality services to children, then shame on Childhelp.

A phony non-profit, a great gig for the founders, stay away and never donate!

Manager (Former Employee)
    Scottsdale, AZ

ProsThere are none! This place is a fraud.

ConsWorking at Childhelp will make you doubt every giving money to a "non-profit".

Advice to Senior ManagementChildhelp is a very lucrative venture for the two founders; two old lady movie stars from the 50's. Together that take a huge salary from the business as do most of the leadership team. They travel around the country first-class on the dime of those that make donations. However, most of revenue comes from the government in the form of medicaid, grants etc.

Lots of flexibility but not worth the costs

Case Management (Former Employee)

ProsThere is a lot of flexibility with scheduling. The families are dedicated to their kids.

ConsThere is no accountability with management by the main office. There is high turnover due to this issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there is a bad apply, get rid of it before it rots the whole barrel. Look at the numbers. There is a reason that there is high employee turnover and the inability to increase numbers. If you want to keep things open, clean house. There is a negative reputation in the community due to the bad apple.

Great working with the kids

Counselor (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with kids
    Work place environment

ConsLong Hours
    Not much support from Senior Management

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more support to the counselors

Started out great, but never again

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat atmosphere, loved the people who worked there. My supervisor was very understanding and flexible.

ConsA change in management took place which ruined the place. Very poor management and lack of ethics. Very unprofessional supervisor who would yell at people and treat children like numbers. A lot of people left because of this...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to how you used to operate. Treating your clients like people and your employees like family. It was a great atmosphere which encouraged people to work hard for the company and the clients.

stressful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscool co-workers and working with the kids

Consoverworked and underpaid. slow to get pto.

Worked for Childhelp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Childhelp reviews and ratings. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Childhelp employees.