Childhelp Reviews

CEO

1. Helping kids, but staff burn out

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Lignum, VA
    Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Lignum, VA

I worked at Childhelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-The work that you do is GREAT and the kids teach you a lot
    -Direct care staff usually bond closely
    -Lots of opportunity for overtime

Cons

-Stressful atmosphere that was often exacerbated by not having enough staff
    -Frequent changes in program/policy

Recruiter

Current Employee - Recruiter in Lignum, VA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Lignum, VA

I have been working at Childhelp

Pros

Childhelp has a rich history! The founders continue working day and night to prevent, treat and outreach child abuse. It is a phenomenal place to work! I have truly enjoy working for them.

Cons

I have NO cons at this time!

3. Broken Lives Being Mended at Childhelp

I have been working at Childhelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Being able to see how children are never too damaged to be healed when God is involved.

Cons

If only more people would help! We have five little lives lost everyday in the U.S. from abuse and neglect, and the dept of child safety and CPS are all struggling to stay afloat with a massive number of cases and back logged cases in the thousands. Step up and HELP!

Advice to Management

Don't expect more from a low paid salary hire than you could do with their background experience and education level. If you want the best, you need to offer the best salary and perks for the star people that can do double the work of others and never break a nail or a sweat!

5. Horrible place

Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist
    Former Employee - Mental Health Therapist

I worked at Childhelp

Pros

The children were the only pros nothing more....

Cons

Worst place to work due to abusive management

Advice to Management

Value employees who want to work with the children and make a difference

Childhelp is good place to start.

Current Employee - Child Care Worker in Beaumont, CA
    Current Employee - Child Care Worker in Beaumont, CA

I have been working at Childhelp part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My favorite part of my job is working with the children. I work with ages 6-9 years old and have good and bad days. The good out weigh the bad. It is easy to get attached to the children.

Cons

The adults you work with are the hardest part of the job. I fell like for what we have to deal with and the expectations of the administration, we as childcare workers are not paid sufficiently nor are we appreciated sufficiently.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the good workers more and offer better pay.

Train wreck derailing by the day...

I worked at Childhelp

Pros

Lignum's village has a collective heart that beats louder than 1,000,000 times the ineptitude of certain slithering lizards who purportedly lead this facility. That spirit sustains the souls of children who need help.

Cons

In the past few years, I have kept quiet and observed several passionate, intelligent, and visionary leaders grace the grounds in Culpeper, Virginia. I've watched as they all strove to improve the turpitude masquerading as status quo. Children continue to arrive wide-eyed and faithful. Senior management in Arizona perpetuates a depth of mediocrity that baffles me. Why? Why create only to destroy? Are not the children worthwhile?

Advice to Management

Sara and Yvonne should make a bold move. Donate one years's salary to provide one year's bonuses. Your direct care staff deserves as much. Reclaim your reputations.

Worked there for 4 years, left, then tried it again...not any better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lignum, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lignum, VA

I have been working at Childhelp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

the children and most staff are inspiring and will touch your heart and change the course of your life

Cons

the board and upper management are completely out of touch, have zero experience with children or social services, and this leads to a focus on profits (though it is a NON profit organization), job-threats, and an oppressive environment

Advice to Management

several generations of boards of directors as well as countless local managers have shown that Childhelp as an organization is neither willing nor able to create real positive change. It's time to sell to a stronger agency that can remain focused on our mission.

Hostile work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Childhelp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy working with the kids.

Cons

Administration, Constantly changing - no consistency, Salaries not reflective of education and experience

Advice to Management

1) Great, you moved. Is the rent cheaper? Why do you keep downsizing rather than Yvonne and Sara - "the ladies" taking a pay cut? 2) Now that there's no CPS...you could jump on that especially with Bell on the original committee 3)When writing a grant- write so your employees get a raise annually. Otherwise it makes it a dead end job with no positive movement. 4) When you have an internal candidate that is qualified - don't hire an external candidate that has less experience than the internal just because you don't mesh doesn't mean that you're not the problem.

Gave my all: skillset, talents, personal and professional sacrifice, also my heart.

Former Employee - Senior Management in Lignum, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Lignum, VA

I worked at Childhelp full-time

Pros

Chance to impact the lives of children to whom I have dedicated my professional life, some truly devoted staff with good intentions, gorgeous grounds, nice facilities

Cons

Money mismanagement, lack of investment in primary revenue source (the villages), poor training, previously overindulged veteran staff drive down morale with constant complaining, internal bickering, and gossip, questionable therapeutic and academic practices in the clinical and educational realm that are unable to be changed due to fearful culture and silencing by senior management at national headquarters when those within are seeking to cooperate transparently with licensing, job threats, mysterious hirings and firings, discombobulated management at villages, national management intent primarily on self advancement or resume building, and no end in sight to the problems.

Advice to Management

My advice is for the board: Hire talent with integrity who remain dedicated to the mission of eradicating child abuse and equip them with the proper resources. If the founders were serious about resolving the financial problems of Childhelp, they would forego their nearly half a million dollar a year collective salaries as a gesture of solidarity that would resonate with every employee of Childhelp, nationally. It is improper to profit from an organization in such financial crisis as Childhelp. I am disappointed by my experience as a former member of executive management, regionally. If you cannot empower your managers with the very basic resources required to improve regulatory compliance and ensure quality services to children, then shame on Childhelp.

A phony non-profit, a great gig for the founders, stay away and never donate!

Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Childhelp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none! This place is a fraud.

Cons

Working at Childhelp will make you doubt every giving money to a "non-profit".

Advice to Management

Childhelp is a very lucrative venture for the two founders; two old lady movie stars from the 50's. Together that take a huge salary from the business as do most of the leadership team. They travel around the country first-class on the dime of those that make donations. However, most of revenue comes from the government in the form of medicaid, grants etc.

RSS Feed </> Embed