Children Of America

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
2.2

Thad Pryor

Work load is overwhelming!

Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The children, most of my coworkers and director.

Cons

Corporate cares to much about money and extra staff is constantly being sent home early rather then given prep time to work on the new curriculum and lesson plans. To much paperwork and not enough focus on the kids.

Start caring more about your employees and if you're going to implement a new curriculum give them the time they need to get familiar with it and time to set up the room accordingly. And PAY them for their time! Also give an employee discount that is higher than you give the general public. Seriously you pay so little why not a bigger discount? How do you expect your employees to afford daycare?!

Biggest career mistake

Current Employee - Director of Childcare Center in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Director of Childcare Center in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really enjoyed a lot of the teachers, children, and parents.

Cons

Upper management has poor communication to the schools and to each other. Lack of supplies, lack of consistency in enforcing policies. Willing to over look bad practices of directors whose schools are producing.

Take a good look at what your area managers are doing. It's not ok to have schools out of compliance to make a profit.

Worst place i have ever worked at

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Children Of America

Pros

The kids are great and the pay was very good and some of the parents would make my day

Cons

Parents would verbally abuse the teachers and management would let them get away with it. Management is HORRIBLE. They dont care about the employees at all, all about the money they get from the parents. They didnt seem to care about anything but that and the facility was NASTY.

Take care of the employees better.

Children are injured and the teachers and management do not take up the responsibility!

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Avon, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Avon, IN

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No good reason to work

Cons

Worst management, the teachers are overloaded with extra work so they do not pay attention to the toddler kids who end up getting injured

Assistant teacher

I worked at Children Of America

Pros

Can't really think of anything but the kids are great The families really respect you

Cons

Difficult to work there very missed managed you work your butt off and they don't pay you overtime. They will make you take a longer lunch break they only care about the money they make do not work for this company it's going downhill fast very stressful environment I couldn't wait to leave

Take a look at some of your centers they are going downhill very fast and the people that are managing them A lot of the families are leaving because they are very upset

working there

I worked at Children Of America

Pros

close to home from where I reside

Cons

company needs to hire more employees

Going downhill

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Children Of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The wonderful children I have met

Cons

Everything? I have been with this company for 6 years and it has gone downhill for sure. Management has changed several times and no one can keep up with the center. They are not understanding of life outside of work at all. They care nothing for their employees. You are over worked and underpaid or you have your hours cut. You can only get 40 hours in a work week so when you should have gotten off at 5 but your still there at 6 you spend the next day on a 2 hour break to make up for that time. You think your focus is on the kids?? No. They have you doing stupid stuff to your classroom all the time to make it "uniform" They are taking the life out of this childcare. DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Think about the kids!

HUGE workload and expectations for VERY little pay.

I worked at Children Of America

Pros

The children and families are the only reason to work there.

Cons

The pay is laughable. Management gossips about staff and parents. They will make you work later and take extra long breaks so you don't get paid 40 hours. They will change your hours in the computer to less than you worked so you have to constantly check to be sure your hours are correct.

They need help because people in charge care nothing about the families or staff.

Aside from the lack of communication that occurs regularly, the company is a decent company to be employed by.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delray Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Delray Beach, FL

I worked at Children Of America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work there are wonderful, management is understanding when it comes to working with the employees, the hours of operation were conducive to me.

Cons

The lack of communication, the lack of follow through with promises (both good and bad), the lack of openness with the current director of HR, lack of comfort bringing up issues within the company

ask the employees how they feel about a situation and actually take into consideration what they mentioned. Please don't take an erroneous situation and brush it under the rug- this is our jobs we are talking about.

Kids are amazing, coworkers are great, parents are difficult. Usual Childcare stuff.

Former Employee - Teacher
    Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Children Of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Better money than most childcare companies, the company tends to promote from within for the most part, you have some say in what ages you work with

Cons

Disorganization within management = chaos for the rest of us, kids get bumped around into different rooms far too much, too much "flexibility" for parents (ie, parents choosing which teacher they get, whether their child's friends stay in the same class, when they transition into the next room etc)

Get organized, and make policies.... then stick to them!