Children's Health

Updated November 5, 2014
2.9

Children's Health President and CEO Christopher J. Durovich
Christopher J. Durovich

Pros
  • They live the mission: making life better for children (in 5 reviews)

• is a great mission statement and I believe the organization as a whole lives up to that goal (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Anything coming out of the Purple Palace - senior leadership is lots of words and no action (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management is in their own salaried world (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

58 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Children's was a great company to work for. The only reason I left was becuase I found a better paying job.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. People are extremely nice and very helpful.

Cons

There wasn't much training for my job. I had to basically teach myself.

Good luck, pucker up!

Not practicing what is preached by SLT

Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The treatment outcomes for Children are amazing.

Cons

Senior Leadership is severely lacking in communication, humbleness, reality, while creating an environment of mistrust and firing long term employees for personal bias and completely illegal reasons.

Advice to the board of directors: Make serious changes with the SLT(CEO). If philanthropists knew some of the truths, dollars would stop going to development!

Patients come first, but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Patient care is great. CMC is great and has wonderful goals for the future of health care in north Texas.

Cons

Too many upper managers and not enough communication. There is often duplication of services, managers and VPs don't know what other departments are doing. Management is just a mess. Also, the CEO allows politics to muddy the waters of what really matters.

Limit the number higher ups, and when you do hire a senior level staff member make sure they can do the job well, don't hire them because they "seem like a good fit."

Okay

Current Employee - IT Technical Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Technical Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Doing it for the Children in need.

Cons

No work and home balance. Too much favoritism.

Upper Management need to listen to employees. Workload is overwhelming and unreasonable.

This is still a great place to work

Current Employee - Group Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in Information Services and still enjoy my job. I can understand some of the posts where people have been upset but I think they are blowing things way out of proportion. It is true we have had some bumps in the road but as organizations grow and change that is to be expected. All in all the teams in my opinion are working well together.

Cons

We could do a better job at work prioritization and not have every request have to addressed immediately.

Empower and support your front line managers when they say staff work capacity is at maximum and help re prioritize work requested to address the current critical needs.

Love what the hospital did for kids...but the IT department in Carrollton lost focus on what they supported..

Former Employee - IT Department in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Department in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love what it stood for. Love the 401k and PTL and see the kids smile on a daily bases..

Cons

IT department was a very good place to work for..but things have change. The IT department in Carrollton has lost focus on what they support. The CTO hired all of his and made them managers and when something goes wrong instead of putting the blame on his staff, he always points fingers at someone other then the two friends that he brought in as managers...the IT department has become a big joke....The CTO needs to go along with the friends that he brought in...

Get rid of the CTO and his friends..

Absolute worst place to work as a nurse!

Current Employee - ER RN in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - ER RN in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Health full-time

Pros

Excellent pay, because it is such a horrible place to work

Cons

Ridiculously oppressive policies, treat their nurses like they are disposable, unsafe patient load assignments, complete disconnect of management from nurses.

Connect with your employees, get rid of oppressive policies, know that their has to be a reasonable work/life balance.

Listen to your frontline staff

I worked at Children's Health full-time

Pros

The benefits are great. The reputation in the community is great because of all the $ that is spent on marketing. Everyone who stays here stay because of the patients and their coworkers, not management.

Cons

Where to begin? People with NO qualifications or promoted because of who they know. VERY POLITICAL. They pay directors astronomical amounts of money to be nonproductive in meetings all day, and they are unavailable for their staff and have no clue what is going on. The leadership puts themselves on a pedestal separating themselves from the ppl actually doing the work. They are trying to do "just culture" yet still manage to retaliate against employees. Home care department is the blind leading the blind. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. No one has a clue.

Stop pointing blame, and try to focus on the reason why people work at Children's. Promote ppl based on their qualifications not based on the need to fill a position in a hurry so just hire your friend. Look around, ppl are leaving this organization left and right. Why?

Senior Leadership and CTO are RUINING a Great Dream of Service for Children

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The service to children that are treated and healed daily.
    The facilities and the expertise of the patient care staff is outstanding.
    OK benefits (reduced within the past three years.)
    Sense of mission of saving kids' lives.

Cons

Senior Management is out of touch and the employees are suffering for it. Job security and satifaction levels are very low. This is evidenced by the high rate of turnover in middle management and staff, particularly in the Information Services department.

Chris Durovich, the CEO, is in an expansive and inaccessible ivory tower. He struggles to lower his nose enough to see the utter dissatisfaction that a good - I'd venture to say majority - percentage of his subjects, er, uh, I mean employees are experiencing in their roles. This dissatisfaction is a result of four years of tremendous turnover at the upper-middle and senior management levels. As a result, culture and tribal knowledge have suffered immensely. While often times, new blood is needed to shake up an organization and bring in high-performers to move toward a culture of action and creativity, the result of the last four years of leadership recruitment at CMCD has been a disaster. Most of the new leadership, with the exception of Population Health, have contributed to the exodus of top-producing talent, the fostering of a "Fear Culture," and a feeling that the gig, no matter the tenure, is temporary. No where are these characteristics more glaringly obvious than in the Information Services department.

While Pamela Arora, CIO, is an obviously smart, and pragmatic leader, her lieutenant, Aaron Miri, CTO, is an utter embarrasment of a manager. Aaron is more prone to personal rants and reactionary temper tantrums than to capably analyzing and assessing the technology and personnel challenges of a medcal organization that so desperately needs a qualified CTO. Applicants in IT/IS (particularly middle managers) take caution: The CTO is a boy in a man's shoes who tends to whine and shout when his dolls fall on to the floor. He often chooses to hit and kick and yell at those toys of his for falling down rather than picking them up, straightening them out and reinforcing their place and position in the dollhouse.

At a certain point after so many years of "resignations" and "retirements", many employees and managers will choose to stay silent (in the middle) rather than challenging, contributing and swimming to the top. This leads to a gradual normalization of staff toward no passion and inaction. The circle is complete once new talent is hired to stir passion and aid action in the ranks to replace that of those "resignations" as well as those resigned to "shut up, keep my head down and keep my paycheck," as one current manager put it.

SLT: Step back and take a look at the WHOLE body of personnel. While a certain rate of turnover is expected at any organization, the rate of turnover at the management level over the past few years should ring a few alarms. Do some guerilla surveying and actually listen to the queues. People used to work at Children's for 20+ years. A new day, I'm sure, but the soul must remain intact and new-hires aligned with the mission.

CIO: An I.S. mission if it exists, is not well communicated to the staff. As a result of CTO shenanigans, IS staff are cranky and uninspired. This unrest can be mitigated by a thorough socializing of the IS mission. This will help employees believe their leader, which will help them to overlook other unfortunate obstacles.

Oh, and please take a hard look at the CTO (apart from the gloss of his review.). The CTO continues to damage a beloved IS organization while receiving tech awards for the accomplishments of his interim predecessor and ripping off the heads of his dolls (employees.)

Excellent atmosphere

Former Employee - Receptionist in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Plano, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great job for health professionals, lots of room to grow

Cons

The administrative staff rotates more than average. It is not that bad but still it makes you wonder.

Children's Health Photos