Children's Health

Updated November 14, 2014
2.9

Children's Health President and CEO Christopher J. Durovich
Christopher J. Durovich

Pros
  • They live the mission: making life better for children (in 5 reviews)

• is a great mission statement and I believe the organization as a whole lives up to that goal (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Anything coming out of the Purple Palace - senior leadership is lots of words and no action (in 6 reviews)

• Senior management is in their own salaried world (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Journey

I worked at Children's Health

Pros

Mission Statement. Front line staff who love and live the mission to "make life better for children".

Cons

Leadership who are eager to climb the corporate ladder regardless of the negative effect left down stream. Management not engaged with front line staff.

Know your staff, know what they do, give meaningful periodic evaluations.

Not practicing what is preached by SLT

Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Management in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The treatment outcomes for Children are amazing.

Cons

Senior Leadership is severely lacking in communication, humbleness, reality, while creating an environment of mistrust and firing long term employees for personal bias and completely illegal reasons.

Advice to the board of directors: Make serious changes with the SLT(CEO). If philanthropists knew some of the truths, dollars would stop going to development!

Children's was a great company to work for. The only reason I left was becuase I found a better paying job.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great environment to work in. People are extremely nice and very helpful.

Cons

There wasn't much training for my job. I had to basically teach myself.

Good luck, pucker up!

Love what the hospital did for kids...but the IT department in Carrollton lost focus on what they supported..

Former Employee - IT Department in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Department in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Love what it stood for. Love the 401k and PTL and see the kids smile on a daily bases..

Cons

IT department was a very good place to work for..but things have change. The IT department in Carrollton has lost focus on what they support. The CTO hired all of his and made them managers and when something goes wrong instead of putting the blame on his staff, he always points fingers at someone other then the two friends that he brought in as managers...the IT department has become a big joke....The CTO needs to go along with the friends that he brought in...

Get rid of the CTO and his friends..

Absolute worst place to work as a nurse!

Current Employee - ER RN in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - ER RN in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Health full-time

Pros

Excellent pay, because it is such a horrible place to work

Cons

Ridiculously oppressive policies, treat their nurses like they are disposable, unsafe patient load assignments, complete disconnect of management from nurses.

Connect with your employees, get rid of oppressive policies, know that their has to be a reasonable work/life balance.

My Perspective

I have been working at Children's Health

Pros

The mission statement of “Making lives better for children.” is a great mission statement and I believe the organization as a whole lives up to that goal. I cannot tell you how many people come up to me if they see my badge and let me know, that in spite of the reason for having to be there, their experience has been a positive one. The leadership team is navigating an uncertain future and is developing a strategy to continue to grow and adapt to a changing environment.

I have read some of the negative posts regarding the organization…and in particular the IS team. The organization is going through tremendous amounts of change to be successful in its mission and its strategy. Change is always difficult, especially when coupled with a higher level of expectation in job performance. To be sure, expectations in this organization are high. But the results are there. Under the direction of its leadership, the IS team has successfully achieved several milestones including HI TRUST certification, the Davies award, HIMSS Level 7, and consistent Most Wired recognition year over year just to name a few. As a result, Childrens is nationally recognized from both a clinical and al technological perspective.

I certainly feel challenged working in this organization and would recommend it to anyone who is ready to work on a dynamic team. Results, while not everything, are extremely important and the IS team certainly delivers.

Cons

The demand for IS services is high. A more robust protocol for the prioritization of that demand would help smooth out some of the spikes in expectations.

Patients come first, but...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Patient care is great. CMC is great and has wonderful goals for the future of health care in north Texas.

Cons

Too many upper managers and not enough communication. There is often duplication of services, managers and VPs don't know what other departments are doing. Management is just a mess. Also, the CEO allows politics to muddy the waters of what really matters.

Limit the number higher ups, and when you do hire a senior level staff member make sure they can do the job well, don't hire them because they "seem like a good fit."

This is still a great place to work

Current Employee - Group Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in Information Services and still enjoy my job. I can understand some of the posts where people have been upset but I think they are blowing things way out of proportion. It is true we have had some bumps in the road but as organizations grow and change that is to be expected. All in all the teams in my opinion are working well together.

Cons

We could do a better job at work prioritization and not have every request have to addressed immediately.

Empower and support your front line managers when they say staff work capacity is at maximum and help re prioritize work requested to address the current critical needs.

Okay

Current Employee - IT Technical Lead in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - IT Technical Lead in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Doing it for the Children in need.

Cons

No work and home balance. Too much favoritism.

Upper Management need to listen to employees. Workload is overwhelming and unreasonable.

The most toxic work environment ever

Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The amazing nurses and staff in the hospital, the children, the mission and the miracles that take place every day.

Cons

Outside of the hospital hallways lies something the hospital industry should truly be terrified of. Administration is so toxic and so corrupt that it is impossible to believe the hospital is still running. The CEO Chris Durovich is truly despised among all employees. It is well-known he does not like children, young people and is extremely threatened by women. Among his senior leadership team there is constant gossip, fear mongering and lies that have infiltrated the hospital.

I worked in the marketing department at Children's. The Chief Marketing Officer has proven her worth by firing whoever the CEO doesn't like, by instilling fear throughout the department and by doing whatever she needs to do to get ahead with executive leadership. Her staff is full of incredible workers who do everything for her despite the horrendously toxic work environment. As for her, I did not see any actual work or valuable input in the two years since she's been there. She is rarely present among her staff and held a total of two staff meetings a year. In those two years she has fired or lost over 30 employees. Mind you - it's a department of 40.

She is also clearly threatened by millennials. Here is the thing - she and other senior leaders have taken the position of being puppets and yes men for the CEO and 90% of her office is millennials, who see no need to sit in that humiliating position to succeed in their career. She heavily resents that and creates malicious office gossip to assert her "power" over these millennials rather than working with and managing her team. There is always someone in line to be fired next. The department has lost some of the most incredible talent among her team. The entire department lives in constant fear of the next malicious move.

HR has been warned over three dozen times - especially of her inappropriate, highly unethical behavior - and nothing is done.

I highly recommend the board does a drastic overhaul and quickly gets in tune with the feelings toward senior leadership at Children's. The internal survey just recently done at Children's revealed this hospital was in the top 1% for worst morale among children's hospitals in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. The number one complaint? Senior leadership. This beautiful mission is being thrown down the drain because egos and pride rule above all other things at Children's.

Children's Health Photos