Children's Healthcare of Atlanta

Updated November 17, 2014
3.5

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta President and CEO Donna W. Hyland
Donna W. Hyland

Pros
  • The hospital provides great work life balance most of the time (in 13 reviews)

• Great benefits, wonderful working relationship and camaraderie among co-workers (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to NO opportunity for career advancement for non-clinical staff (i (in 5 reviews)

• Low pay, incompetent management, inequity even within departments (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

"A very valuable learning experience"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoy working at CHOA. This is a great company overall. Great benefits.

Cons

Pay tends to be on the lower end when researching other companies.

Workers who work hard and deserve raises should be given accordingly.

Great if you're a nurse, not so great otherwise

Current Employee - Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, nice perks (i.e. fitness classes, discounts, concierge, etc.)

Cons

Low pay, incompetent management, inequity even within departments.

I think the upper management needs more training on how to manage people. Most feel that control and intimidation is the best technique but this only contributes to high turnover.

Autocratic and hypocritical culture

Current Employee - Family Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Family Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are wonderful employees dedicated to the kids. The management the director level is dedicated to making money and ensuring they have little responsibility but all decision making authority.

Cons

Director's need to be more aware of the negative culture they are creating. It may not seem to matter now, but the organization is rotting from the inside.

Listen to your employees and allow them to constructively offer feedback without fear of retaliation.

Pissed off

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to take your sick child.

Cons

Not satisfied with upper mnagement

BE HONEST!

Amazing place for kids and clinicians

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta

Pros

Clinical staff are the best of the best, and they support each other really well. CHOA runs amazing medical facilities.

Cons

Non-clinical staff is unappreciated, untrusted and, after being worn down, unmotivated.

Try some positive support and encouragement about the great work people are doing -- you'll get a lot more from them.

IT Experience at CHOA

Current Employee - One of the IT Departments in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - One of the IT Departments in Atlanta, GA

Pros

This organization does so much for children in the state of Georgia. I was very excited to be a part of CHOA and to be able to take pride in knowing how my work was positively impacting the lives of families. The CEO is fabulous and dynamic.

Cons

Mid-level management and director-level management is spotty and weak. The IT department takes a "fly by the seat of your pants" tack. I was consistently nervous about the monthly new deployments and a lack of solid validation. Sometimes when things break or go wrong, employees are singled out and blamed. Attempts to change this culture often fall on deaf ears. It felt like an "Epic shop". If you want to do very little, go nowhere and sweet-talk your manager for preferential treatment, this is the area for you. They do not readily promote from within. They make you sign a document promising you will pay back any required training costs if you leave the organization within a set period of time and there is no forewarning of this until you have already started with the organization. This may or may not fly in the face of the FLSA. My experience so far has a "bait and switch" feel to it. They do not have many official trainers on staff so you are left holding the bag and as a consequence users train each other over time, sometimes incorrectly. This causes repeated issues with the main EMR application. They do not follow the handbook policy as it relates to making inter-departmental transfers.

Focus on your people. Get to know them. Show impartiality and help your team become the best that it can be. Be present. Support everyone. Foster a good environment and not one where everyone wants to work from home and / or leave. Pay staff appropriately.

They are truly "dedicated to all better"

Current Employee - Nurse Team Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Nurse Team Lead in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work with kids!
    Good system for advancement if your willing to do the extra work
    Encourage personal wellness
    Good benefits

Cons

I've worked in two different departments. Inpatient management was well developed. Outpatient management is a mess.

In my current role I would recommend collaboration with your team and not punitive approaches to get desired results!

It all depends on your location.

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You learn new things every day; it's a continuous learning environment. I enjoyed working with the medical residents. They were easy to work with if a dose needed adjusting. They were very open to our recommendations.

Cons

Parking was off-site; if you got off at night, there was very little lighting and large bushes near my parking deck. Draconian corporate policies if you had to call in sick for your child (and this is a great place for working parents?). The Egleston pharmacy was not open to newcomers. They were nice on the surface, but ready to stab you behind your back. The pharmacy trainer was disorganized and confusing. A lot of work is done that could be done more efficiently.

Save money on the t-shirts and upgrade the equipment that patients don't see. New pharmacy management would be a plus.

Many years of employment, development, and advancement at Children's

Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great "people" focus - from wellness to a huge amount of professional/leadership development. Many opportunities for advancement, especially for clinical and professional staff. Can't beat the mission: "To make kids better today and healthier tomorrow". It's great to work at a place where people are dedicated and passionate about making life better for kids.

Cons

Decision making can be slow and could be better disseminated to levels closer to the issue.

For each decision, continue to ask, "Is this the best for the kids?" and "How will this affect and be perceived by our employees?".

I've been here for 10 years for a reason!

I have been working at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love CHOA. I've worked at egleston for about 10 years now. I've actually left once to finish school and came right back when I was ready to return to work. It's the best company I've worked for. The management is the most supportive of any hospital I've worked for, the work life balance is good, and the benefits are great. The staff is great and the teamwork aspect is there. Staffing for RN's is optimal and I was hardly ever understaffed on my unit.

Cons

You do have to take a health assessment to get a discount on your health insurance. This is basically an excuse to tell you that you're overweight, a smoker, etc.... This is optional and a hassle. Because of the strong for life campaign to stop childhood obesity, the cafeteria selection can be pretty awful. Most floors have very few weekend option nurses so most staff nurses work every other weekend which is a pain but expected.

My only complaint is the health assessment with the benefits plan.

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Photos