Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
www.choa.org Atlanta, GA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta – Atlanta – “Children's Healthcare of Atlanta-Egleston”

Children's Healthcare of Atlanta President and CEO Donna W. Hyland

Donna W. Hyland

Pros:
  • "The hospital provides great work life balance most of the time"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Great benefits, wonderful working relationship and camaraderie among co-workers"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little to NO opportunity for career advancement for non-clinical staff (i"
    in 5 reviews
  • "1/ A management that is sycophantic (only interested in pleasing more senior management)"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was great

Registration Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsI just wish I could still be there.

ConsLove the atmosphere and the co workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementShe was great

Great place to work

ProsAs NON-CLINICAL support staff, this is by far the most organized and chill workplace I have ever experienced. Everyone is so welcoming, friendly and happy to be there.

ConsI have heard of inconsistencies in processes between departments, which is to be expected in a company of 7000+ employees.

Working at CHOA

ProsIf you like to work for/with kids and are in the healthcare field, this is the place to be. The atmosphere is great and coworkers are kind, hospitable, and truly care about what they do. Many have difficult jobs but always do it with a smile.

ConsCertain departments can be demanding with little flexibility and/or understanding from management

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that employees are human too.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Major potential harmed by leader disfunction

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsWonderful mission! They really do care about the kids and will always do the right thing for patients and their families. The happiest employees are the ones closest to the mission. Benefits are good and they have a growth plan in addition to a share plan. Holidays and vacation time is average if not generous. Most managers and directors are easy/great to work with.

ConsUpper leadership is toxic (especially in administration/hr). Micromanagement seems to be the name of the game up there, and it shows. The company is weak in the leadership area because VPs and above aren't working as leaders, they are working as worker bees. Stress and urgent needs are put ahead of planned priorities, and often this stress roles downhill to lower level employees. Lost several high performing, high level leaders recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure leadership. Make sure executives act as executives and not as VPs or Directors. Look into the recent turnover and retention problems with a more critical eye toward the leadership of those positions.

I had a sense of community pride when I worked here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, good pay, pretty decent morale.

ConsManagement was very restrictive, controlling.

Registration Coordinator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove, love, love the children.
    I know they have the patients best interest at heart.

ConsYou really have to be a kiss up to management.
    It is hard to transfer into other positions, you have to "know" someone.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your employees that you really do care about them, giving out t-shirts and hot dogs isn't enough. To many turn overs.

Great place for clinical employees

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsThe really promote work life balance. Scheduling can be good. Great benefits package. New grad program is good.

ConsParking isn't so great, especially if you work days.

Great healthcare environment

ProsGreat healthcare facilities. Dedicated staff

ConsCompensation might be at market level

Dedicated to All Better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat company that is passionate about the work they do. Put everything they can into making each child better and making in difference. Always a positive relationship/image with the community.

ConsGreat retention so it is hard to move up in company or find a job there. Not really a con but only thing I can point out.

Great Mission; Great People; Pretty Good Place to Work

Atlanta, GA

ProsChildren's has a really great mission - it's about helping kids and everyone takes it very seriously. The compensation seems to be appropriate for most jobs. In general people feel fairly paid - there are certain areas where I assume that we probably need to pay better. Benefits are pretty good and the company does a lot for employee engagement like quarterly events and other fun activities. The people/co-workers are the reason to work here. Everyone is very friendly have care and concern for each other - Children's hires very smart people. Fantastic culture.

ConsChildren's is a very fast paced environment and sometimes management and leadership don't take the time to grow and develop employees. There is also a lot of red tape to get anything done. Employees can feel as though they are spinning their wheels getting work done only for it to not be implemented. Too many layers to get things approved. Lack of autonomy. Company hires smart people - let them do what you hired them to do. Work life balance is hit or miss depending on your division and leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to develop employees so that you can hire from within and create career opportunities and promotions for internals. Learn to push back on upper management so they know what's possible to complete without burning out the staff. Stop being so afraid of allowing employees to work from home. You really have trust issues.

Worked for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Healthcare of Atlanta CEO Donna W. Hyland. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Healthcare of Atlanta employees.