Children's Home + Aid

Nancy Ronquillo

Loved The Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

surrounded by great managers who share the same passion as you do of working with youth, women, and families. Loved how much they go out of their way to make sure they have a impact on those they interact with

Cons

there aren't any down sides to this company

Children's Home + Aid is Rewarding

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Rockford, IL

Pros

The atmosphere at Children's Home and Aid is the most rewarding. We are like a big family here and everyone here is so friendly and helpful. There are many staff who have been working here for over 20 years and they love it. I have personally been here for 6 years and only would leave if I started my own business or won the lottery! They are so family friendly and have received awards from the United Way for being a Family Friendly Workplace.

Cons

The fact that it is a non-profit agency makes it difficult at times to stay within the tight budgets. Sometimes management is so loyal, they have a hard time getting rid of staff who are not good workers.

Keep up the great work!!

I enjoy working for Children's Home + Aid.

Current Employee - After School Instructor  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - After School Instructor in Chicago, IL

Pros

This company does good work. It helps bring programming to kids who are less fortunate. You get to network with other schools and share talents and ideas.

Cons

Most instructors hired to do programming do so as contractor. As such, one only gets paid once a month and have to take care of their own taxes.

It would be great of you could offer the availability of being hired to your contractors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Reputable company

Pros

Reputable company who treats their clients like family. I was proud to work for them. Great boss, team/coworkers. Flex time so you didn't burn out. Yearly pay increases.

Cons

Meager pay, as with most social services jobs, at least entry level. Little room for advancement within my particular sector (foster care services). Pay increase yearly was little to nothing and other opportunities for increased pay all part of "Career ladder" with close to impossible standards. Little room for balance btw Paperwork and field work, one seemed to always suffer in order to meet standards from agency handed down by DCFS which changed pretty often.

Different and Unique

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

Caring and supportive employees
    Build your experience
    Establish lasting relationships
    Dedicated employees
    Great wellness program
    Strong client teacher relationship
    Community based programs

Cons

Not enough opportunity for growth and development for employees seeking higher education and career change.
    Improve communication channels within the different sites

Recognize and support employees need for improvement and career change.

Good at my level, not so much above me

Pros

I have a good supervisor who allows me the flexibility I need to do my job well. The atmosphere in my office is very family oriented. The majority of the employees do quality work and do care about the children and families served.

Cons

Too much weight at the executive level, not enough IT support (there should be at least one IT person in each area, stop making them travel all over), not enough communication between upper management and lower levels.

Stop using all sorts of consultants to come up with half-baked ideas that don't work with the day-to-day staff. Communicate upcoming projects across regions better. Take time to recognize that a lot of "average Joes" can contribute lots of small amounts instead of always looking for the biggest donors to make major donations. Stop being cheerleaders and shadow staff to see what we really do.

Rewarding experience but management was a nightmare

Former Employee - Family Counselor/Therapist  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Family Counselor/Therapist in Chicago, IL

Pros

Many opportunities for professional development, salary incentives when you became licensed, and working with the clients was very rewarding.
    Decent benefits.

Cons

Management was very unprofessional, cliquish, and non supportive. I had issues with my direct supervisor and when I went her boss to share my concerns, she ignored them and immediately took my supervisor's side without investigating my claims.

All managers/ coordinators should recieve supervisory training annually so that they can be effective leaders.

Varied company depending on where you work

Former Employee - Teacher  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

Pros

-The mission of children's home + aid is to support disadvantaged children and their families so being able to be a part of that is rewarding
    -They provide a lot of different kinds of services to at need families

Cons

-Working in a preschool that is understaffed is one of the most stressful things you can do ever

-Ensure classrooms are properly staffed considering how difficult the students are and be more involved in the classrooms even if that means hiring someone to cover whatever is taking up time in the office. Not saying they should micro manage but employees appreciate helpful direction.

Better than most, but still not the best place to teach...

Pros

The location is good, the facility is better than most, decent benefits, small class sizes.

Cons

Management lacks flexibility and communication skills. Not much support, inadequate breaks and very understaffed. Management does not listen to teaching staff.

Appreciate your staff and listen to them.

Shady practices, poor management, mistreated staff, blatant disregard for staff morale

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

Benefits, location, some talented staff

Cons

Career Ladder, unfair scheduling and pay practices. No respect. Terrible communication from management, stressful atmosphere, cliques, bullying, director won't listen.

Listen to your staff, especially their pay concerns and management policies. Use common sense, be fair. Reexamine staff attendance. Many salaried employees take advantage and do not pull their weight.

Worked for Children's Home + Aid? Contribute to the Community!