Children's Home + Aid

Nancy Ronquillo

1. FRONT DESK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid (Less than a year)

Pros

They help empower families who are in need!

Cons

there was not any in mind.

Advice to Management

n/a

2. Love It!

Pros

So much gained experience! I've been able to improve my writing and see real results as journalists have picked up my pitches. I like that my supervisors we all so helpful ad really wanted m to get the most of the experience.

Cons

I honestly don't have one! The only thing I would say is the office is kind of segregated lol. Each department is kind of off in its own world. I think every friday there should be like a bagel or cookie meetup in the lunch room. Just to get everyone talking to eachother more.

Mental Health Hazzard

Current Employee - Case Manager in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Bloomington, IL

Pros

Flexibility of schedule, early dismissal days before the holidays

Cons

The pay does not commemorate with the amount of work that is required.. The agency will set you up for failure. When you are drowning, there is no support to help you. No matter how hard you try to get agad, you never will.. And if you have a family, you will rarely see them because of the work demands.

5. HR

Pros

I loved working here! I had a great experience with all the staff at CH+A. I felt like a valued employee, my co-workers were extremely patience as i molded into my role here. Working here as been great and im sad it is over.

Cons

none, i truly enjoyed my time there. I worked with several of the staff, and everyone was extremely nice, no negative comments.

children Home+NO AID

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time

Pros

They bless the children with so many gifts from donations and quarterly family celebrations is the least they can do.

Cons

This agency cares about the money and pushing children back into homes where some parents are not ready. The judges complained about the fast turnover rate whenever I attended court,files are not updated,supervisor changes service plans to make insufficient parents appear to look as though they are making progress. Foster parents were lazy and were not compliant with agency blaming worker,long hours,low pay,unprofessional, unfriendly environment and unrealistic expectations of worker. I was forced to work w/o certifications due to supervisor not filling out forms correctly. This agency needs to close or start over with new starting at the top.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at dollars and pay attention to what's going on with the agency's fast turnover rate. The reason why there was a freeze with the agency is due to the lack of training that the casemangers receive. I was forced to testify without proper knowledge of some cases. This is so dangerous to the safety of the children. It takes a while for new workers to grasp all the work that has to be done. Supervisor are too lazy and overwhelmed that they just throw workers out there and when all fails. The supervisor throws you under the bus!!!! To take the blame for their incompetencies.

7. Great Experience

Pros

Friendly environment where everyone helps everyone. Everyone comes together as a team when a crisis occurs to help their team members get through.

Cons

Not enough training. Foundations training does not teach case managers enough about their daily jobs. Not exactly a Children's Home and Aid issue rather than DCFS as a whole.

Advice to Management

Higher pay to case managers

8. No longer the company it was when I first started.

Pros

Great benefits, multiple locations, room to grow.

Cons

Low pay, long hours, lack of support

9. Wonderful nonprofit to work for that truly helps children.

Pros

An agency driven by its mission to protect children.

Cons

Financial Security - a large part of the agency is government funding so when funding changes it impacts the agency.

10. Mph or residential counselor at RCFC

Former Employee - MHP in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - MHP in Evanston, IL

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Time off, clients, and coworkers

Cons

Working second shift, weekends, and holidays

overall good experience

Pros

I worked as a case manager with a really great,professional team. CH&A always provided regular training for employess for free which was great. Flexibility in schedule. Good benefits,pto. I enjoyed reuniting families, completing adoptions etc. Gift cards for meeting certain standards.

Cons

Very little,if any room for advancement in this postion. There was constant renewal of standards to be met for case managers at unrealistic rates with case loads of 21 children (not including your responsibility to their bio parents, foster parents etc.). Not to mention peer review where you may have to correct something another case manager missed 6 month ago. Mileage reimbursment in my opinion was not worth it due to wear and tear on car that salary barely covered. lowest pay for this position out of any social service agency ive seen. Really get the burnt end of the stick whencase managers by far do the most work.

Advice to Management

Set realistic standards according to each caseload.

RSS Feed </> Embed