Children's Home + Aid

Updated October 12, 2014
Updated October 12, 2014
2.8

Nancy Ronquillo

Used to be good place with people who cared about children and each other. Now it's all about the almighty $$

Current Employee - Case Manager in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some flexibility in adjusting schedule as needed

Cons

Management doesn't care about staff anymore. They hired a ton of executive level people but never enough front line staff. They manipulate lower levels to get the most money possible with no concern for the level of stress this can place on workers. Pay is lower than most any other agency. No room to advance in many areas.

GET OVER YOURSELVES AND PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR FRONT LINE STAFF!!! Give up some of those $300K salaries to hire people in areas that staff are needed.

Administratively heavy...not invested in the children

I worked at Children's Home + Aid

Pros

Administrators look after other administrators

Cons

Quality service to client populations is not a priority!

Complete a program analysis for EACH program to optimize functionality & recommit to serving the client rather than lining your pockets!

Reputable company

I worked at Children's Home + Aid

Pros

Reputable company who treats their clients like family. I was proud to work for them. Great boss, team/coworkers. Flex time so you didn't burn out. Yearly pay increases.

Cons

Meager pay, as with most social services jobs, at least entry level. Little room for advancement within my particular sector (foster care services). Pay increase yearly was little to nothing and other opportunities for increased pay all part of "Career ladder" with close to impossible standards. Little room for balance btw Paperwork and field work, one seemed to always suffer in order to meet standards from agency handed down by DCFS which changed pretty often.

Different and Unique

Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Caring and supportive employees
    Build your experience
    Establish lasting relationships
    Dedicated employees
    Great wellness program
    Strong client teacher relationship
    Community based programs

Cons

Not enough opportunity for growth and development for employees seeking higher education and career change.
    Improve communication channels within the different sites

Recognize and support employees need for improvement and career change.

Good at my level, not so much above me

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have a good supervisor who allows me the flexibility I need to do my job well. The atmosphere in my office is very family oriented. The majority of the employees do quality work and do care about the children and families served.

Cons

Too much weight at the executive level, not enough IT support (there should be at least one IT person in each area, stop making them travel all over), not enough communication between upper management and lower levels.

Stop using all sorts of consultants to come up with half-baked ideas that don't work with the day-to-day staff. Communicate upcoming projects across regions better. Take time to recognize that a lot of "average Joes" can contribute lots of small amounts instead of always looking for the biggest donors to make major donations. Stop being cheerleaders and shadow staff to see what we really do.

Loved The Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Children's Home + Aid (more than an year)

Pros

surrounded by great managers who share the same passion as you do of working with youth, women, and families. Loved how much they go out of their way to make sure they have a impact on those they interact with

Cons

there aren't any down sides to this company

Poor management, no advancement potential and extreme favoritism

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have met some great co-workers and have bonded with many families, I have learned a few things along the way

Cons

Administrators look the other way while people play the system. Breaks are inadequate. There are some teachers who have no concept of child development yet seem to run the place. Parents run the show, policies are not followed and "at-risk" or low income people should not drive luxury cars and have iphones.

Listen to your staff and don't let a few bully the rest. People may seem qualified on paper, but in reality have no business working with defenseless babies. Your next employee might be the one to finally call DCFS.

Corporate would be/should be appalled

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Evanston, IL

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very few, if any. Some great coworkers and rewarding relationships with the kids.

Cons

Management plays favorites from the top to the bottom, lack of discipline and accountability, a couple of verbally and emotionally abusive employees who are never held accountable that bully clients and fellow staff, unethical management, lack of organization, lack of training in company protocol, employees not allowed to voice concerns without repercussions, employees' safety frequently neglected by immediate and administrative supervisors, no room for professional growth, dangerous clients were transitioned back into the general population so as not to reflect negatively on institution's statistics and funding, etc, etc, etc, etc

Corporate needs to clean house of all facility management and conduct extensive employee reviews on coworkers, management, and upper management.

Office Staff Beware

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Evanston, IL

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There were many pleasant, dedicated people who looked out for children and families.

Cons

Management played favorites among individuals and programs. Communication and cooperation between programs did not happen easily. There were a lot of internal "us vs. them" conflicts between programs. Consideration of employees' safety, especially regarding dealing with clients, was not always done.

Create an environment where employees feel safe and comfortable to express their views. When employees express concerns, do not play them down, thus creating a constant reactionary atmosphere by dealing with those concerns only after they have long become out of hand. Respect the office staff people, the IT techs, the accounting staff, maintenance/custodial staff, and food service staff -- they are no less important than the social workers, and are needed just as much to keep the office running.

Varied company depending on where you work

Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Teacher in Chicago, IL

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-The mission of children's home + aid is to support disadvantaged children and their families so being able to be a part of that is rewarding
    -They provide a lot of different kinds of services to at need families

Cons

-Working in a preschool that is understaffed is one of the most stressful things you can do ever

-Ensure classrooms are properly staffed considering how difficult the students are and be more involved in the classrooms even if that means hiring someone to cover whatever is taking up time in the office. Not saying they should micro manage but employees appreciate helpful direction.