Children's Hospital Boston

Children's Hospital Boston Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Children's Hospital Boston President & CEO Sandra L. Fenwick

Sandra L. Fenwick

Pros
  • Good benefits and hospital is economically very healthy(in 11 reviews)

• Compensation is competitive, although the benefits package is not(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for growth, salary, no bonus and health insurance increase(in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to refuse to work fixing departments that are broken(in 5 reviews)

116 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great working experience

Physician Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe benefits are the best! You become after three years.

Consmanagement is not the best. Seem to bit of a racial issue in getting promotions.

Great company to work for as nursing staff, but the inpatient staffing needs improvement.

Clinical Assistant II (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsExcellent place to co-op at as a nursing student, or to grow your skills as a Registered Nurse.

ConsIt seems like there's always nursing and nursing assistant staffing issues for the inpatient units. Sister units will horde resources at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvocate for your nursing staff!

After leaving, will never return.

Administrative Associate (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsBest most affordable benefits, great name, team oriented work environment.

ConsNot so great leadership, low salary, no room for professional development/growth, snooty providers that make it hard for administrative staff to successfully do their work.

Advice to Senior ManagementChildren's should work harder to invest in their entry-level employees. It is a common practice that many individuals, fresh out of college, and in search of institution with a great name, look at children's as great place to start a career. And in name, Children's is just that. However, the lack of support from management and HR and the failures of the hospital to cater to professional development made working at BCH a nightmare. The low salary doesn't even begin to help make up for all of this either. If it were my recommendation, I would advise any person who values hard work, merit, and is self-motivated to look elsewhere. Boston Children's will suck the happiness from you, however, it does create a pretty good well for tolerance as you advance in your career (literally only because no other job could be worse).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what I expected

Medical Assistant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAmazing doctors and medical team
    Great benefits

ConsVery political
    Managers don't advocate well for their staff
    pay is low and it's based on department.
    Don't offer education to advance in your career

Advice to Senior ManagementManage!

Did not have courtesy to get back to me regarding stays after 4 interviews

Program Administrator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe benefits package is one of the best around compared to other area hospitals. Staff seem to be knowledgeable of their profession.

ConsWith Children's Hospital being such a large organization it is easy to be considered as a number and not person.

Advice to Senior ManagementI applied for a position and went on 4 different interviews throughout the process ultimately reaching a point of having to provide references. I thought that was a good sign but at that point I never heard back from the staff of the department or HR regarding my status. After all the time spent on interviewing for the position I thought I reached the level of being able to get a response I received the job or not. I was completely turned off by the process and organization

Lack infrastructure for career development, management need to reward hard workers

Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsHarvard teaching school, prestigious insititution

ConsSalary is low, there's always more work with the same pay

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more opportunities for growth

Clinical Research Coordinator

Clinical Research Coordinator (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery friendly staff, a fun atmosphere to work in, good benefits

ConsSometimes things may not be the most organized

Hired Prematurely

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe hiring process was straightforward and moved quickly. For the most part, everyone I was in contact with was very nice.

ConsI was an official employee for only a few hours. I was offered a position, filled out the proper paperwork, was cleared by Occupational Health, picked up my badge, and then was notified that there was no money to fund the position. I was one of two people hired. I acted professionally and respectfully, and was disappointed that I did not get a reply from my would be manager after reaching out. HR did apologize on behalf of the department, but I feel that it was unprofessional to not receive a response directly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not offer employment prematurely to move the process along. Be honest about situation and funding (i.e "We would like to make an offer, but are still waiting on final funding approval.").

Cancerous working conditions

Former Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosemployee benefits, excellent patient care

Consit is an physician, hr, and management ego driven environment that runs the place instead of common sense.

Advice to Senior Managementhow about paying for an outside consulting firm to review the hr department. the hr department sucks especially one person in particular who likes to brown nose to dumb managers and physicians to spite good employees. hr doesn't know how to keep things confidential. hr can intimidate hard working dedicated employees because they have been informed by a physician who doesn't have common sense or because he/she doesn't like being outsmarted by a smart employee. hr takes the side of physicians and managers who don't know operations. managers should also be evaluated because some of them have been there too long and don't know what they are doing or how to treat employees. the place is such a stressful place to work and can cause you serious health problems if you don't pay attention to your body.

Great Mission

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThis is a hospital totally committed to improving the health status of children.

ConsMassive changes in the health care marketplace are creating lots of challenges to all health care providers

Worked for Children's Hospital Boston? Contribute to the Community!