Children's Hospital Boston

Reset

1. Research Study Coordinator

Current Employee - Research Study Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Study Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really great clinicians at BCH who are doing exciting, innovative research.

Cons

The clinicians/Principal Investigators are often very busy, with little time for research.

2. HR is terrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's all about the Children. Dedicated staff and rewarding work.

Cons

HR doesn't return calls. I recommended a friend for a job, they interviewed, and never heard anything. He called HR to inquire about the status of the job, and they never gave him the courtesy of a call back. I was embarrassed to work for a company that was so thoughtless. What does that say to people??

Advice to Management

Need to follow up with candidates.

3. Administrative Assistant II

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping the Children. It's job until you find another one. Working with some of the staff and doctors.

Cons

It depends on the department. My was awful, micromanagement, the managers had no respect for the staff. VERY VERY high turnover. The pay was too low, not livable in the Boston and surrounding areas. I even saw some of the staff fired / not hired back if they were out on Medical leave even though they wanted to come back to work. Managers could bring in someone else at a cheaper pay rate. Some of the parents. Half the departments are "Foundations", which rents the Children's name.

Advice to Management

I rated the CEO poorly, because she allows her managers to treat staff with no respect.

5. Patient Services Associate II

Current Employee - Patient Services Associate in Wenham, MA
    Current Employee - Patient Services Associate in Wenham, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have loved working for Children's for the past year. Everyone is very kind and the job has been sufficiently rewarding.

Cons

Given it is a hospital, storm weather does not eliminate the need for your position!

6. Good place to work

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefit, great scientific environment, cutting edge biomedical research

Cons

takes too long for administrative processes not very efficient

7. Staff Scientist at Children's Hospital Boston

Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Staff Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Joint-appointement with Harvard Instructorship, salary starts from 5+ years NIH post-doc level but totally up to the lab you're working in.

Cons

By appointed as staff scientist, you lose parking-subsidy as fellows.

8. has become very political

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston

Pros

clean work environment. World reknowed. Lots of international patients. Lots of managers. Will hire new grads and train them. Good benefits package. Free CPR classes. Has self scheduling but bosses often change what you put in.

Cons

no transport so nurses have to bring their patients to all their tests. Peer review and eval. process is lengthy and repetitive. Units don't talk with each other so often times ideas don't travel that could be helpful. Nurses are so busy there is no time for lunch/diner break (maybe 10 min). Have to fight for when you want to take vacation even though they give you hours to have it. No rewards for seniority. Getting rid of 1946 Prouty Garden despite petitions of thousands of staff and families( there are pt's ashes there!).

Advice to Management

listen!!!!! Management has their own ideas about everything and never listens to front line care before they make a policy. They care more about their image then employees and patients. Hir nurses and rely less on travelers

9. Instructor of Pathology, Postdoctoral Fellow

Current Employee - Junior Faculty in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Junior Faculty in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibilty, Resources available for employees at the post doctoral level,

Cons

No access to tuition reimbursement for fellows. Difficult for advancement to get benefits as junior faculty

10. I love working at such a tremendous organization.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of coworkers who are very helpful and supportive.

Cons

Scheduling can be short notice at times.

Boston Children's Hospital is a good company to work for; I like my job here as the people are very friendly and helpful

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is great being in a hospital and getting advice from physicians about the future. You get first hand experience in the clinical research process which is helpful later in life.

Cons

This job can sometimes be depressing, as oftentimes you will be around sick children or hear that a child unfortunately passed away.

RSS Feed </> Embed