Children's Hospital Boston

• Boston, MA Area
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Until Every Child is Well.... :-)

Former Employee - CRC in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - CRC in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can always find people who really care about what they're doing and why they're doing it. People do pull together. If I ever felt like I was having a bad day - I'd look around - and then realize I was only whining. These kids and their families are amazing people.

Cons

You'd think CHB would feel like it had a ton of money - and it may - but it seems like you're always trying to find the funds to cover this or that. It's a Harvard-Affiliated academic teaching hospital. There are politics.

Advice to Management

Continue to get feedback from your team, at all levels!

2. A great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- Rewarding career. Opportunity to care for most wonderful and sweetest people. - Friendly, professional, knowledgeable, and very caring staff. - Cutting edge technologies and services.

Cons

- Sometime stressful. - Limited parking. - Feels like working in a cubical job due to lack of space.

Advice to Management

- Salaries in supportive field needs to be more competitive. - HR needs to be more responsive and supportive to internal employees' personal inquisitions. - Overall infrastructure expansion is badly needed. Ambulatory outpatient service space is becoming crowded due to increase in staffing and equipment.

3. Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Great community, good place to learn and start out, challenging but not stressful!

Cons

Compensation and benefits very low

5. Internship & Interview Experience

Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- many opportunities to learn (shadowed for several interviews and throughout my internship) - had several projects that I was able to work on - benefits are good

Cons

- disconnected (don't know what's going on even in own department) - supervisors/management does not have much time for employees - HR is extremely unprofessional, slow, and unorganized (1. showed up to HR for interview & employee said she had to cancel so I should just wait for 30+ min. until I had to meet with dept. 2. HR employee told me to write another dept. thank you notes after interviewing ) - salaries are low - very difficult to get in - slow to implement projects/programs

Advice to Management

- value your employees more - connect the hospital depts. more - encourage HR to be more professional when recruiting potential employees

6. Good to employees

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great benefits - Interested in healthcare innovation - Encourages bike commuting - Great teams and clinicians - Bonus and raise structures - Employer supported 403b

Cons

- Physical hospital layout is confusing to everyone - Lack of space - Lack of updated technology (my computer and windows are 2007)

Advice to Management

Promote and encourage more autonomy from your extremely talented and caring staff!

7. research supervisor

Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good place for research. Smart people are around you and lots of new instruments are waiting for you

Cons

low salary compared to industry

Advice to Management

more salary to research people

Big egos at a world-class institution

Former Employee - Software Development Lead in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Software Development Lead in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great mission * Good location * Huge help with commuter services * Prestigious until you look under the hood.

Cons

* Huge egos - don't disagree with managers or you'll be in the dog house. * Very poor communication within and between departments. * Lots of politics. * Personal feelings get in the way of getting the job done.

Advice to Management

It's good that executive management understands the old way of command & control management is hurting them, but pulling this old institution into a 21st century mindset is going to be an uphill battle. Please communicate the "new way" to all levels of management, because the upper-level managers are not pushing the new values to mid-level managers. I had to leave because pointing out the problems that I saw and attempting to fix them was seen as a personal insult instead of a help to the organization.

9. Good place to work, although Waltham office is a little boring

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Waltham, MA

Pros

Good place to start, interactive learning environment, great benefits, opportunity to take classes and get reimbursed

Cons

Low pay, Waltham location is disconnected, doctors are stressed out

10. Great place to work at.

Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant II in Boston, MA

Pros

The hub of research and innovation.

Cons

Salary is a little lower than what you might expect.

11. A place for motivated scientists

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great research environment, very good training for postdoc fellows, affiliation with Harvard, good medical insurance, beautiful city, great opportunities to find jobs after postdoc training

Cons

high living cost, low pay, demanding jobs, stressful environment., expensive parking, cold winter, long queue for daycare, troublesome paperwork

RSS Feed </> Embed