Children's Hospital Boston

Updated August 25, 2014

3.6

Children's Hospital Boston President & CEO Sandra L. Fenwick
Sandra L. Fenwick

Pros
  • Good benefits and hospital is economically very healthy (in 11 reviews)

• Compensation is competitive, although the benefits package is not (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for growth, salary, no bonus and health insurance increase (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to refuse to work fixing departments that are broken (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

122 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

World class research, clinical environments

Current Employee - Manager Microscopy Core Facility  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager Microscopy Core Facility in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Longwood Medical Area/HMS one of the best for Life Sciences Research. Good benefits and hospital is economically very healthy.

Cons

nothing comes to mind. It's a great place to work. Boston isn't my favorite city, but that's just personal preference.

My experience in Marketing was perhaps the most difficult of my career

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

Pros

Reputation, mission, salary and benefits. Also, very good people in department

Cons

Terrible management, as mentioned by other reviewers. Department turnover over 50% in last 2 years, since new management took over. They are disorganized, crisis junkies who might be effective as sole contributors, but do not understand leadership. Some have commented that it is like "mean girls". Not enough recognition of accomplishments, but plenty of blame. Extremely stressful and without reward.

HR is well aware of situation. Change is needed ASAP in upper management. It seems only to get more difficult.

There is No growth upwards

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

BCH is a Great place to learn

Cons

There is No growth upwards

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research Fellow

Former Employee - Research Fellow  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cutting edge research and educational environment with world class faculty members and leaders in her/his field; An opportunity to make the most out of it.; good life/work balance.

Cons

Too competitive to survive. Not all the lab head is world class. Need to be careful when choosing your potential mentor. Check, first, if funded federally etc. (e.g. by NIH).

Horrible.

Current Employee - Coordinator of Admissions for Over 50 Doctors  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Coordinator of Admissions for Over 50 Doctors in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good hospital for children. Other than that, horrible place to work.

Cons

Mid-level department managers are uneducated, bullying, and lazy. One week vacation only even though earned time is over the limit! Was denied vacation 2 consecutive years because manager never trained a backup for my job. After 2 years, asked for 2 weeks and again was denied, put on probation because complaint was issued and finally given one week. Lousy place to work unless you are a doctor or nurse. Will be leaving in 3 months.

Smarten up and hire people who care about their staff.

Not much room for career growth

Current Employee - Doesn't Matter  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Doesn't Matter in Boston, MA

Pros

Has a great work/life balance, depending on your manager

Cons

A place where careers go to die.

No advice would change the the mindset current management has.

Great place

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Boston full-time for more than a year

Pros

CHB is a great place to work

Cons

It can get a little stressful and tense. However my manager was very understanding and easy to talk to.

Children's is a wonderful place to work and values their employees.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston part-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The patients make you want to do the best job you possibly can for them. It is the most upbeat hospital I have ever worked at. The good managers there encourage you to do your best and better.

Cons

Despite having a stellar performance rating from the VP of Nursing, my manager laid me off from my position after being with the hospital and doing a terrific job with the program I was hired for. HR could do better at handling a lay off due to "department reorganization". They give you 5 minutes to pack your things before offering to escort you off the premises. Kind of harsh for an employee who has loved her job and has diligently done it for many years.

If there are concerns with employees then supervisors should address any issues directly and not hide behind HR and have them do their "dirty work". Longstanding employees who have done excellent work for many years deserve much better treatment.

experiance gained but no opportunity for growth in most administrative roles

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Boston, MA

Pros

exposed to many new things, people and projects

Cons

no room for growth, salary, no bonus and health insurance increase

Long hours, underpaid, average research experience.

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Children's Hospital Boston full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good tuition reimbursement benefit. It's a little bit more than you get at the BI, but significantly less than HMS.

MBTA discount, standard at competing institutions.

Cons

As with most research positions, you are expected to stay over time, but not get paid for over time. The base salary is average, but non-competitive compared to industry or Harvard Medical School. The wages are disproportionate to the experience required for many positions.

Increase the base salary of non-tenured research positions.

Worked for Children's Hospital Boston? Contribute to the Community!