Children's Hospital Boston

Updated August 18, 2014

3.6

Children's Hospital Boston President & CEO Sandra L. Fenwick
Sandra L. Fenwick

Pros
  • Good benefits and hospital is economically very healthy (in 11 reviews)

• Compensation is competitive, although the benefits package is not (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • no room for growth, salary, no bonus and health insurance increase (in 5 reviews)

• Senior Management seems to refuse to work fixing departments that are broken (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for as nursing staff, but the inpatient staffing needs improvement.

Current Employee - Clinical Assistant II  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Clinical Assistant II in Boston, MA

Pros

Excellent place to co-op at as a nursing student, or to grow your skills as a Registered Nurse.

Cons

It seems like there's always nursing and nursing assistant staffing issues for the inpatient units. Sister units will horde resources at times.

Advocate for your nursing staff!

Great working experience

Former Employee - Physician Billing Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Physician Billing Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

The benefits are the best! You become after three years.

Cons

management is not the best. Seem to bit of a racial issue in getting promotions.

After leaving, will never return.

Former Employee - Administrative Associate  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

Best most affordable benefits, great name, team oriented work environment.

Cons

Not so great leadership, low salary, no room for professional development/growth, snooty providers that make it hard for administrative staff to successfully do their work.

Children's should work harder to invest in their entry-level employees. It is a common practice that many individuals, fresh out of college, and in search of institution with a great name, look at children's as great place to start a career. And in name, Children's is just that. However, the lack of support from management and HR and the failures of the hospital to cater to professional development made working at BCH a nightmare. The low salary doesn't even begin to help make up for all of this either. If it were my recommendation, I would advise any person who values hard work, merit, and is self-motivated to look elsewhere. Boston Children's will suck the happiness from you, however, it does create a pretty good well for tolerance as you advance in your career (literally only because no other job could be worse).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what I expected

Current Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Medical Assistant in Boston, MA

Pros

Amazing doctors and medical team
    Great benefits

Cons

Very political
    Managers don't advocate well for their staff
    pay is low and it's based on department.
    Don't offer education to advance in your career

Manage!

Did not have courtesy to get back to me regarding stays after 4 interviews

Current Employee - Program Administrator  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Administrator in Boston, MA

Pros

The benefits package is one of the best around compared to other area hospitals. Staff seem to be knowledgeable of their profession.

Cons

With Children's Hospital being such a large organization it is easy to be considered as a number and not person.

I applied for a position and went on 4 different interviews throughout the process ultimately reaching a point of having to provide references. I thought that was a good sign but at that point I never heard back from the staff of the department or HR regarding my status. After all the time spent on interviewing for the position I thought I reached the level of being able to get a response I received the job or not. I was completely turned off by the process and organization

Lack infrastructure for career development, management need to reward hard workers

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

Harvard teaching school, prestigious insititution

Cons

Salary is low, there's always more work with the same pay

Offer more opportunities for growth

Clinical Research Coordinator

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Boston, MA

Pros

Very friendly staff, a fun atmosphere to work in, good benefits

Cons

Sometimes things may not be the most organized

Hired Prematurely

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

The hiring process was straightforward and moved quickly. For the most part, everyone I was in contact with was very nice.

Cons

I was an official employee for only a few hours. I was offered a position, filled out the proper paperwork, was cleared by Occupational Health, picked up my badge, and then was notified that there was no money to fund the position. I was one of two people hired. I acted professionally and respectfully, and was disappointed that I did not get a reply from my would be manager after reaching out. HR did apologize on behalf of the department, but I feel that it was unprofessional to not receive a response directly.

Do not offer employment prematurely to move the process along. Be honest about situation and funding (i.e "We would like to make an offer, but are still waiting on final funding approval.").

Cancerous working conditions

Former Employee - Former Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

employee benefits, excellent patient care

Cons

it is an physician, hr, and management ego driven environment that runs the place instead of common sense.

how about paying for an outside consulting firm to review the hr department. the hr department sucks especially one person in particular who likes to brown nose to dumb managers and physicians to spite good employees. hr doesn't know how to keep things confidential. hr can intimidate hard working dedicated employees because they have been informed by a physician who doesn't have common sense or because he/she doesn't like being outsmarted by a smart employee. hr takes the side of physicians and managers who don't know operations. managers should also be evaluated because some of them have been there too long and don't know what they are doing or how to treat employees. the place is such a stressful place to work and can cause you serious health problems if you don't pay attention to your body.

Great Mission

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

This is a hospital totally committed to improving the health status of children.

Cons

Massive changes in the health care marketplace are creating lots of challenges to all health care providers

Worked for Children's Hospital Boston? Contribute to the Community!