Children's Hospital Central California

Reset
3.5
CEO

1. RN IV

I worked at Children's Hospital Central California (More than 10 years)

Pros

good people good environment nice facility. I would recommend it as a place to work as a nurse or np.

Cons

A lack of transparency in the uppermost management systems, but this didn't really affect me

Advice to Management

For the most part I think people do a nice job. I meet some great people there. I don't have anything to complain about. I was treated well.

It was a great experience and I think the Hospital is an awesome place to work

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Madera, CA

Pros

It is competitive with the other hospitals in the USA and has the best of everything to offer a potential employee.

Cons

It is very stressful at times and you must be able to multi-task a lot.

Advice to Management

To keep on top of the current trends regarding the newest technologies relating to the hospital environment.

It was a pleasure working here.

Pros

The work-life balance was good.

Cons

uses PTO for sick/vacation and even holidays off...it should be separate.

5. Great experience with fellow staff and patients

Current Employee - Respiratory Care Practitioner in Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Respiratory Care Practitioner in Madera, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Central California (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hospital with a great reputation and atmosphere, satisfying compensation with great work-life balance

Cons

At times may get bombarded with too much workload.

Great hospital with great care, highly recommended

Pros

Competitive pay, great feeling giving care to children

Cons

Some people don't know and don't care what they are doing, and they can get by just fine~

Advice to Management

I understand it's important to C.Y.A, but there must be a reason why you are in the management....

Used to be a good place to work.

I worked at Children's Hospital Central California full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment. There was always something going on. Proven ability to function on a tight budget. Tremendous potential yet to be met.

Cons

This place has gone downhill. When I first started working here, it was a good place to work, but over the years I had witnessed a downward spiral in the company culture and mentality. The patient has lost its status as highest priority. There is no change here, just a commitment to the same ol' same ol'. Common sense? Extinct here. Management is going insane by telling employees that things are going to get better by doing the same thing. Then what happens? Things get worse! There exists a culture of doing the same thing over and over again with the same results. The workload has increased with not enough resources, and management won't budge on hiring more employees to ease this burden. As a result, current employees feel overworked and overstressed. There exists obvious favoritism in this organization. The weakest links and unqualified get hired and recognized while the strongest performers get punished, disrespected and underappreciated. Teamwork is like a foreign language in this organization. Employees are generally selfish and do not know how to work together. There is no sense of community or support here, rather diverted blame and no accountability. Employees are more concerned with being lazy, incompetent, childish, spiteful and apathetic. Basically, they go to work for the paycheck. The atmosphere of incessant chatter, ear-piercing laughter, constant absenteeism, distractions such as singing/humming, foot-tapping/stomping, gum-snapping, phone vibrating and personal phone calls on work time is not conducive to productivity and does not create camaraderie. Bad hires have contributed to a very hostile work environment and have lost this organization a lot of money. The lack of change in this place only perpetuates this and chases off the best workers. This place has suffered a decline, and as a result, has a very long road ahead of it.

Advice to Management

Provide much better leadership. Stop abuse of power, stop the micromanagement, eliminate the condescending behavior and get rid of the status quo. Become agents of change in order to create a culture of change for the better. LISTEN to the employees' concerns. When there is a problem, be proactive in getting to the root of it, and fix it. Do not ignore the problem or cover it up while letting it get worse. Do not fix what isn't broken. For example, if a certain software was functioning properly, do not get new software that is not user friendly and causes productivity problems. Stop the competing priorities. The highest priority is the patient. Management and HR need to make much better hires, and provide better onboarding and training to new hires. If there are employees that need improvement, implement an effective performance improvement plan. If they cannot or will not improve after all efforts have been made, do not retain them. Stop the reactive mentality and become much more proactive within reason. If you want the best and brightest, then look for them and hire them, don't just settle for someone without the proper credentials, experience, maturity and quality.

8. Such a great experience. Loved it. But some nurses were pretty rude.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madera, CA

Pros

Working at childrens' hospital was a great experience and personal growth opportunity for me. I really enjoyed the upbeat environment of the playroom. There was always something going on around the hospital and other employees were very friendly and open to meeting new people.

Cons

Often when I would go to check up on children, some nurses would be very rude to me. I would ask a question and they would respond in a very rude manner or barely even answer my question at all. I felt as if they didn't not respect me whatsoever.

Advice to Management

As a whole, leadership does a decent job with their employees. I would just like to see them encouraging their employees to have better attitudes toward other employees to create a more wholesome and united environment.

9. Proud to work at a company that fills a great need in the area.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madera, CA

Pros

Mission - provide outstanding healthcare to children regardless of their ability to pay.

Cons

Very conservative, need to consider suggestions and not be so quick to dismiss ideas.

Advice to Management

React and implement ideas from employees.

Current Employee - REG NURSE in Madera, CA
    Current Employee - REG NURSE in Madera, CA

Pros

good teaching hospital and policy reviews

Cons

little respect for senior empoyees

Poor,stressful with lack of support

Former Employee - RN Periop in Madera, CA
    Former Employee - RN Periop in Madera, CA

Pros

Working with the kids Fun place to work Performing a service for the community that no other hospital can give Worked at Childrens for over 20 years

Cons

Mgmt not responsive to employees concerns Elitist attitude Poor communication between mgmt and staff Poor training/continuing ed Poor backup of employees with any parent complaint Wages less than surrounding hospitals although they hotly deny it. Constantly reminded of payor mix with a very high(70%+)welfare and the need to work for the greater good

Advice to Management

Get rid of the elitist attitude. Mgmt is not better than staff. Try to embrace the environment, the comraderie and the attitude before the big move. It was a much more loving and caring place to work then. Not everyone was around then and they don't care. Taking care of a child is so much more difficult when education lacks as well as mgmt support. Shame on you.

RSS Feed </> Embed