Children's Hospital Colorado

Updated February 11, 2015
3.1

Children's Hospital Colorado Interim CEO Jena Hausmann
Jena Hausmann

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is important to my director (in 3 reviews)

• Providers are dedicated to helping kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled (in 5 reviews)

• Very-biased organization on the non-clinical/finance side (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

37 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great hospital that is mission-driven and committing to serving the community.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Aurora, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hi level of trust with their employees. My department seemed to be particularly collaborative, but in general there seemed to be good inter-departmental communication and healthy competition.
    The executive team does a great job of growing potential leaders.
    In general, this is a great company to work for. I would work there again.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any downsides to working for this company. If anything, I saw people leave (as did I) for other opportunities.

Amazing place for sick children

Current Employee - Control Center in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Control Center in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fortunately, in the end we're all here for the children.

Cons

Complete lack of communication between senior leadership and everyone else. An utterly ridiculous amount of disorganization for an organization of this size, which is actually on the smaller side; 5500 + or - employees.

Refine the practices and processes currently in-place. COMMUNICATE!

Great

Current Intern - Dietetic Intern in Aurora, CO
    Current Intern - Dietetic Intern in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful facility, great learning environment

Cons

There are no cons I have yet experienced.

Look elsewhere for an RN job

Current Employee - Registered Nurse CNIII in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse CNIII in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Make my own schedule
    24/7 cafeteria
    Dog visits with the pet prescription program
    Volunteer opportunities
    Decent Health Insurance offerings
    Beautiful facility

Cons

Definite separation between the medical side of the hospital and management side.
    All shift differentials have either been reduced or discontinued all together.
    The nursing clinical ladder has been frozen. No current chance for RN's to advance from the bedside.
    Management discontinuing Clinical Coordinator-Charge Nurse roles. Not offering to relocate these experienced RN's, only offering severance packages.
    New staffing model being implemented. More CA's and LPN's doing patient cares, less RN interaction. "Nursing Home" staffing model is the base model.
    The patients acuitity level (how sick they are) not being considered in the new staffing model (RN's daily assignments) only RN/CNA ratio being considered, therefore making many unsafe daily/nightly assignments.
    Patient/Family satisfaction decreasing as staffing model changes. Less RN presence/interaction at the bedside.
    Management not listening to RN's concerns of unsafe assignments being made. Many experienced RN's looking for employment elsewhere.
    Traveler nurses being hired instead of management working on retention of current RN's.

Work a few shifts on the floors with an RN.
    Invite attending physicians back into your management meetings when discussing staffing models. It is their patients you are affecting and many of the physicians I have talked to are unaware of this new RN/CNA ratio staffing model.
    Place more value on senior nurses in the organization (10+yrs exp) instead of trying to lay them off. They are mentoring your younger, newer RN staff as well as the residents in this facility.
    Be aware that patient satisfaction is falling as patients are experiencing longer PICU stays because the floors can no longer handle higher acuitity patients. Patient outcomes will also be affected.
    Be aware that magnet status requirements will no longer be met once this staffing model is complete and experienced nurses are gone.
    Be concerned that your current RN work force is feeling devalued, unheard, disrespected, unappreciated and forced into this new model with a fear of being retaliated against if they speak out.
    Please be aware that an unsafe environment is being created by your current management style. You are risking the longstanding positive reputation of this beautiful hospital and the care that we give to our most delicate patients.

Children's Hospital Colorado Response

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your concern about Children's Hospital Colorado. We'd like to learn more about your experience, as we are looking closely at the system in place and will take your ... More

Once Excellent Employer, Slipping a Little Unfortunately

Current Employee - Project Manager II in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager II in Aurora, CO

Pros

Children's is just that all about children, I see the meaning in my job every day. The work I do is challenging and the people I work with are excellent. Salaries are good but not increasing in pace with the industry. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Children's is going through a major management and philosophy change and not for the better. Currently there is a convoluted not well communicated plan to save money and the first targets were our care staff, the front line of our business. Senior leadership continues to want to be involved in every decision yet the Children's network is too large and the leadership is over extended and not effective because of it. Decision by committee is slowing down our organization and meetings are the bane of everyone's existence. Children's could benefit by defining the decision making process and streamlining it. Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled.

Delegate and trust those you delegate to. Children's is full of amazing people who are completely capable. COMMUNICATE

Awesome Place to Work and Serve Others at the Same Time

Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although we are still a business that has to remain profitable, we always remain focused on our true mission of helping kids at the same time. Many of our employees and volunteers have their own private reasons for coming to Children's which often includes having our own children that we're helped or even saved by those that were here and willing to serve others. The opportunities for advancement have always been amazing and it has opened my eyes to careers that I've never even considered before.

Cons

Sometimes, we struggle with a work-life balance because we are now being asked, especially by our government, to do a lot more with less. Many of the perks that we once had available are no longer available.

Perks don't always need to be financial but recognition is always appreciated. Sponsored lunches, casual Fridays and even an occasional in-person stop over from the Executive Team helps the teams feel appreciated and respected.

Safety is slipping, inpatient RN review

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Aurora, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful 401k and matching, close access to retirement supervisor on site and a phone call away. Wendy is amazing.
    Wellness incentive for non-smokers.
    My experience with managers is that they work with you and other staff members to be flexible with time off.
    Wonderful co-workers.

Cons

The most important thing at hospitals is safety. Over the last two years, I have felt strongly that staffing has been pulled too thin. It is very difficult to double check all orders and special protocols, help other staff, and attend to patients' and families' needs.
    It is also difficult to get more than one 20 minute break through out an entire 12-14 hour shift.

The Clinical ladder and pay scale isn't based on experience or clinical skills. It is based off of working on silly, mirco-managed projects on your free time. Committees are also an important part of this, which tend to be inconvenient for nurses whom live far away, have child care needs, or work the night shift.
    New grads no longer receive a pay bump ofter orientation. "Due to 600 applicants for 1 job opening, Childrens no longer need to be competitive in pay."

Advocate for increased staffing of RNs and CNAs.
    Make sure charge roles go to those that help out on the floor and can run a code blue with confidence.
    Children's is a non-profit hospital which means it gets to invest in itself, lets start with the RNs.

Good company

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to work with

Cons

None. People and management are good. No complains

Keep doing what you do

Children's Hospital Colorado is an excellent, caring, service-oriented organization to work for

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO

Pros

The organization respects people and the challenges that all of us face in our personal lives. It provides flexibility when needed, but also requires accountability and focus toward our core responsibilities.

Cons

The organization is going through some cultural changes which causes some tension, anxiety and frustration among its employees. Also, because it is a non-profit hospital, there are not large budgets to support employee's continuing education and training goals.

Be prepared to join a cult

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Denver, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great facility, decent benefits many locations, kind caring employees, longtime favorite of children in the Rocky mountain area.some good employees.

Cons

Gossip, politics, and loads of estrogen! Drink the kool-aid or else! Lack of supplies, poor equipment, judgmental management , manage by intimidation, high turnover,.the culture is unwelcoming and condescending.

Advice to management? Midol!

Children's Hospital Colorado Photos