Children's Hospital Colorado

Updated October 17, 2014
3.2

Children's Hospital Colorado President, CEO, and Director James E. Shmerling
James E. Shmerling

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is important to my director (in 3 reviews)

• Providers are dedicated to helping kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled (in 5 reviews)

• Very-biased organization on the non-clinical/finance side (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

33 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome Place to Work and Serve Others at the Same Time

Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although we are still a business that has to remain profitable, we always remain focused on our true mission of helping kids at the same time. Many of our employees and volunteers have their own private reasons for coming to Children's which often includes having our own children that we're helped or even saved by those that were here and willing to serve others. The opportunities for advancement have always been amazing and it has opened my eyes to careers that I've never even considered before.

Cons

Sometimes, we struggle with a work-life balance because we are now being asked, especially by our government, to do a lot more with less. Many of the perks that we once had available are no longer available.

Perks don't always need to be financial but recognition is always appreciated. Sponsored lunches, casual Fridays and even an occasional in-person stop over from the Executive Team helps the teams feel appreciated and respected.

Once Excellent Employer, Slipping a Little Unfortunately

Current Employee - Project Manager II in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager II in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Children's is just that all about children, I see the meaning in my job every day. The work I do is challenging and the people I work with are excellent. Salaries are good but not increasing in pace with the industry. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Children's is going through a major management and philosophy change and not for the better. Currently there is a convoluted not well communicated plan to save money and the first targets were our care staff, the front line of our business. Senior leadership continues to want to be involved in every decision yet the Children's network is too large and the leadership is over extended and not effective because of it. Decision by committee is slowing down our organization and meetings are the bane of everyone's existence. Children's could benefit by defining the decision making process and streamlining it. Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled.

Delegate and trust those you delegate to. Children's is full of amazing people who are completely capable. COMMUNICATE

Safety is slipping, inpatient RN review

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Aurora, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful 401k and matching, close access to retirement supervisor on site and a phone call away. Wendy is amazing.
    Wellness incentive for non-smokers.
    My experience with managers is that they work with you and other staff members to be flexible with time off.
    Wonderful co-workers.

Cons

The most important thing at hospitals is safety. Over the last two years, I have felt strongly that staffing has been pulled too thin. It is very difficult to double check all orders and special protocols, help other staff, and attend to patients' and families' needs.
    It is also difficult to get more than one 20 minute break through out an entire 12-14 hour shift.

The Clinical ladder and pay scale isn't based on experience or clinical skills. It is based off of working on silly, mirco-managed projects on your free time. Committees are also an important part of this, which tend to be inconvenient for nurses whom live far away, have child care needs, or work the night shift.
    New grads no longer receive a pay bump ofter orientation. "Due to 600 applicants for 1 job opening, Childrens no longer need to be competitive in pay."

Advocate for increased staffing of RNs and CNAs.
    Make sure charge roles go to those that help out on the floor and can run a code blue with confidence.
    Children's is a non-profit hospital which means it gets to invest in itself, lets start with the RNs.

Good company

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to work with

Cons

None. People and management are good. No complains

Keep doing what you do

Children's Hospital Colorado is an excellent, caring, service-oriented organization to work for

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO

Pros

The organization respects people and the challenges that all of us face in our personal lives. It provides flexibility when needed, but also requires accountability and focus toward our core responsibilities.

Cons

The organization is going through some cultural changes which causes some tension, anxiety and frustration among its employees. Also, because it is a non-profit hospital, there are not large budgets to support employee's continuing education and training goals.

Be prepared to join a cult

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Denver, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great facility, decent benefits many locations, kind caring employees, longtime favorite of children in the Rocky mountain area.some good employees.

Cons

Gossip, politics, and loads of estrogen! Drink the kool-aid or else! Lack of supplies, poor equipment, judgmental management , manage by intimidation, high turnover,.the culture is unwelcoming and condescending.

Advice to management? Midol!

Dedicated providers taken for granted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Providers are dedicated to helping kids. Ongoing education opportunities. Generally supportive of working parents.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with those actually helping kids. Poor financial stewardship. Lack of accountability for poor performers. Lack of recognition or appreciation for achievers.

Talk with care providers and listen to what they have to say. Reign in discrepantly expensive testing (Medicaid patients receive much more testing than those with private insurance, even though privately insured patients are billed at obscene multipliers.)

I agree with writer of title "Great Place for Kids"

Current Employee - Intern Pharmacist in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Intern Pharmacist in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many top notch individuals to work with, many experts in their fields. Close proximity to academic center. Nice atmosphere for patients and family.

Cons

There seemed to be a shift to more corporate behavior since the name change and 100 year celebrations. Now, working here is much like many other large companies i.e. treat longtime employees poorly, retain and recruit more management. For example, they took away bus passes which were included as part of our benefits. Only the neediest employees utilize them (including a few environmentally conscious folks). Losing bus passes was like getting a 5-10% pay cut for most employees that used them. At the same time, the hospital required that departments double the numbers in management so that there are a fewer employees per manager. I couldn't schedule a meeting with my manager for 2 years since, didn't seem to make a difference.

Fair

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Excellent Heath care provider to children

Cons

Lack of respect for employes for employees who are not in management

Jim Schmerling the CEO is excellent and seems very caring. However, the layer of managers and directors, below him do not value their employees. There is a culture of too much micromanagement. Management is to numbers and overlooks the big picture.
    Should have a system to obtain feedback from current employees.
    Should act on results of the annual employee opinion surveys.

No work-life balance.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

Pros

The hospital's goals are admirable. They provide a lot of training.

Cons

The workday for M-F salaried staff is 8:00 to 5:00, but most of the time we are too busy to take a lunch break or leave till 6 or 7 pm; then they schedule meetings to start at 7:30 or 7:00. Meetings and emails take up too much of the work week, and they acknowledge all this but they are just happy to get people to work more for no extra money. Managers are not being replaced when they leave their positions, and everyone is simply expected to do more with less. In their attempt to slash the budget ("resource stewardship"), they are reducing many benefits and expect that staff will stay because of the hospital's reputation and their difficult hiring processes that give the impression that they are selective.

Stop micromanaging, be more respectful of your staff. Stop forcing people to work 60-hour weeks.

Children's Hospital Colorado Photos