Children's Hospital Colorado

3.3

Children's Hospital Colorado Interim CEO Jena Hausmann
Jena Hausmann
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is important to my director (in 3 reviews)

• Providers are dedicated to helping kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled (in 5 reviews)

• Very-biased organization on the non-clinical/finance side (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great learning environment. Stressful

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

Care of children. Top notch research and evidenced based.

Cons

Co-workers have egos with some back-stabbing. Favoritism observed.

Changes happening

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

Excellent work environment, quality staff

Cons

Shifting as budgets are cut in 2014-2015

Value experienced nurses more

Great hospital that is mission-driven and committing to serving the community.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Aurora, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hi level of trust with their employees. My department seemed to be particularly collaborative, but in general there seemed to be good inter-departmental communication and healthy competition.
    The executive team does a great job of growing potential leaders.
    In general, this is a great company to work for. I would work there again.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any downsides to working for this company. If anything, I saw people leave (as did I) for other opportunities.

Great Organization, challenging working conditions

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

Excellent facility
    Provides great care to children and their families

Cons

Department specific:
    Poor work-life balance
    Low morale of employees

Looking after current employees will save significant costs of constant recruitment and training. It will also assist with workload and morale.

All about the mission

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Children's attracts people who are committed to caring for kids. Mission matters here. The organization is at its best when it's considering the needs of kids and families. People are generally smart, kind, and relational. The resources available to provide great patient care are significantly better than most hospitals, and if you've got a kid with a rare or serious illness, there's really no better place to bring them. Staff work incredibly hard here, and it's rare to encounter a someone who's basically just there for the paycheck, so those people tend to really stand out.

Cons

The organization has grown massively in the past decade, and senior leadership has not kept up. Communication is poor, often unplanned, and often lacking transparency. Decisions tend to be reactive, or not made at all. Hierarchy rules, under a fairly thin veneer of being consensus-driven. It's like the organization wants to believe it's a democracy, but really operates like an oligarchy (e.g. shared governance committees which have no authority, committees who are not accountable to anyone to produce a result).

Like every other hospital, Children's is asking its staff to do more with less. While this isn't fun, people do understand it. What's missing is time and energy to figure out how to work smarter rather than harder. Staff think the solution to every problem is to hire someone new, so old practices get perpetuated rather than new practices innovated. The hospital hasn't figured out that exhausted people aren't very creative, and resist change not because the ideas are bad, but because they don't have the energy resources to make the adjustments to a new way to working.

There are rules and policies for everything. And I mean, everything. Some of this is regulatory agency driven (sigh), but some is an old belief that people won't do the right thing unless they're told what to do. This creates endless, pointless bureaucracy. What staff need is to be clear on their end goals, to have line of sight to what matters most, and to be empowered to act accordingly.

The CEO is a good man who genuinely cares about the organization and the mission. But he's not interested in leading the organization, and should formally re-design his role to focus on national lobbying for healthcare reform, which appears to be his passion and consumes most of his time. He needs to step aside and genuinely empower his COO, who's a superb leader, who people admire and will follow. Right now, he practices seagull management: fly around at 30,000', periodically dive bomb into details, crap all over everything, and fly off again. It happens constantly, and I can only assume he's unaware of the negative impact it causes.

Children's Hospital Colorado Response

Jan 7, 2015Web Content Specialist

Thank you for sharing your concern about Children's Hospital Colorado. We'd like to learn more about your experience. Please feel free to email us at website@childrenscolorado.org with your contact ... More

Great

Current Employee - Dietetic Intern in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Dietetic Intern in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful facility, great learning environment

Cons

There are no cons I have yet experienced.

Look elsewhere for an RN job

Current Employee - Registered Nurse CNIII in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse CNIII in Aurora, CO

Pros

Make my own schedule
    24/7 cafeteria
    Dog visits with the pet prescription program
    Volunteer opportunities
    Decent Health Insurance offerings
    Beautiful facility

Cons

Definite separation between the medical side of the hospital and management side.
    All shift differentials have either been reduced or discontinued all together.
    The nursing clinical ladder has been frozen. No current chance for RN's to advance from the bedside.
    Management discontinuing Clinical Coordinator-Charge Nurse roles. Not offering to relocate these experienced RN's, only offering severance packages.
    New staffing model being implemented. More CA's and LPN's doing patient cares, less RN interaction. "Nursing Home" staffing model is the base model.
    The patients acuitity level (how sick they are) not being considered in the new staffing model (RN's daily assignments) only RN/CNA ratio being considered, therefore making many unsafe daily/nightly assignments.
    Patient/Family satisfaction decreasing as staffing model changes. Less RN presence/interaction at the bedside.
    Management not listening to RN's concerns of unsafe assignments being made. Many experienced RN's looking for employment elsewhere.
    Traveler nurses being hired instead of management working on retention of current RN's.

Work a few shifts on the floors with an RN.
    Invite attending physicians back into your management meetings when discussing staffing models. It is their patients you are affecting and many of the physicians I have talked to are unaware of this new RN/CNA ratio staffing model.
    Place more value on senior nurses in the organization (10+yrs exp) instead of trying to lay them off. They are mentoring your younger, newer RN staff as well as the residents in this facility.
    Be aware that patient satisfaction is falling as patients are experiencing longer PICU stays because the floors can no longer handle higher acuitity patients. Patient outcomes will also be affected.
    Be aware that magnet status requirements will no longer be met once this staffing model is complete and experienced nurses are gone.
    Be concerned that your current RN work force is feeling devalued, unheard, disrespected, unappreciated and forced into this new model with a fear of being retaliated against if they speak out.
    Please be aware that an unsafe environment is being created by your current management style. You are risking the longstanding positive reputation of this beautiful hospital and the care that we give to our most delicate patients.

Children's Hospital Colorado Response

Jan 13, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your concern about Children's Hospital Colorado. We'd like to learn more about your experience, as we are looking closely at the system in place and will take your ... More

great experience

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time

Pros

Children's is definitely a great place to work

Cons

no cons all, very positive experience

Once Excellent Employer, Slipping a Little Unfortunately

Current Employee - Project Manager II in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Project Manager II in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Children's is just that all about children, I see the meaning in my job every day. The work I do is challenging and the people I work with are excellent. Salaries are good but not increasing in pace with the industry. Benefits are excellent.

Cons

Children's is going through a major management and philosophy change and not for the better. Currently there is a convoluted not well communicated plan to save money and the first targets were our care staff, the front line of our business. Senior leadership continues to want to be involved in every decision yet the Children's network is too large and the leadership is over extended and not effective because of it. Decision by committee is slowing down our organization and meetings are the bane of everyone's existence. Children's could benefit by defining the decision making process and streamlining it. Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled.

Delegate and trust those you delegate to. Children's is full of amazing people who are completely capable. COMMUNICATE

Awesome Place to Work and Serve Others at the Same Time

Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although we are still a business that has to remain profitable, we always remain focused on our true mission of helping kids at the same time. Many of our employees and volunteers have their own private reasons for coming to Children's which often includes having our own children that we're helped or even saved by those that were here and willing to serve others. The opportunities for advancement have always been amazing and it has opened my eyes to careers that I've never even considered before.

Cons

Sometimes, we struggle with a work-life balance because we are now being asked, especially by our government, to do a lot more with less. Many of the perks that we once had available are no longer available.

Perks don't always need to be financial but recognition is always appreciated. Sponsored lunches, casual Fridays and even an occasional in-person stop over from the Executive Team helps the teams feel appreciated and respected.

Children's Hospital Colorado Photos