Children's Hospital Colorado

Updated February 20, 2015
3.2

Children's Hospital Colorado Interim CEO Jena Hausmann
Jena Hausmann

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is important to my director (in 3 reviews)

• Providers are dedicated to helping kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled (in 5 reviews)

• Very-biased organization on the non-clinical/finance side (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Very fair treatment of employees and tuition reimbursement.

Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Respiratory Therapist in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Tuition reimbursement and full benefits

Cons

Required to get flu shot

Get better catering company

Stressful Environment

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good cause; nice cafeteria, patio area to sit outside.

Cons

Too many hours required of your own time (non-paid).

Work/life balance needs to be better.

Amazing place for sick children

Current Employee - Control Center in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Control Center in Aurora, CO

Pros

Fortunately, in the end we're all here for the children.

Cons

Complete lack of communication between senior leadership and everyone else. An utterly ridiculous amount of disorganization for an organization of this size, which is actually on the smaller side; 5500 + or - employees.

Refine the practices and processes currently in-place. COMMUNICATE!

Great learning environment. Stressful

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

Care of children. Top notch research and evidenced based.

Cons

Co-workers have egos with some back-stabbing. Favoritism observed.

Changes happening

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

Excellent work environment, quality staff

Cons

Shifting as budgets are cut in 2014-2015

Value experienced nurses more

Great hospital that is mission-driven and committing to serving the community.

Former Employee - Information Technology in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Aurora, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hi level of trust with their employees. My department seemed to be particularly collaborative, but in general there seemed to be good inter-departmental communication and healthy competition.
    The executive team does a great job of growing potential leaders.
    In general, this is a great company to work for. I would work there again.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any downsides to working for this company. If anything, I saw people leave (as did I) for other opportunities.

Used to be better

Current Employee - Information Technology
    Current Employee - Information Technology

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Children's offers very competitive salaries and good benefits. The mission is excellent. I can't think of an employer with a better cause. Children's offers the opportunity to work with current technologies and enterprise equipment.

Cons

Culture has been declining over the last few years. Leadership seems a bit rudderless. A long string of poor judgment and bad decisions has led to overspending and low moral. Wages are very good and in fact a little higher than market in most cases, but in spite of that people are still leaving. The evolving culture seems to include fear and intimidation. Dissenting opinions are a big no no. There has been a pretty significant talent drain in IT and it seems to be accelerating. A growing lack of trust between staff and leadership has developed. Just recently devices were installed under every desk to monitor when employees are at their desk. The initial message from leadership was that the devices were for tracking air flow. It wasn't until later that the true purpose of the devices was disclosed. It is a real shame that this once great organization with a terrific mission has lost its way. Hopefully the new CEO can get things back on track and make the organization a great place once again for the most talented and creative minds to call home.

Children's Hospital Colorado Response

Feb 3, 2015Human Resources Representative

Thank you for sharing your concern about Children's Hospital Colorado. We'd like to learn more about your experience, as we are looking closely at the system in place and will take your ... More

Great Organization, challenging working conditions

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

Excellent facility
    Provides great care to children and their families

Cons

Department specific:
    Poor work-life balance
    Low morale of employees

Looking after current employees will save significant costs of constant recruitment and training. It will also assist with workload and morale.

All about the mission

Pros

Children's attracts people who are committed to caring for kids. Mission matters here. The organization is at its best when it's considering the needs of kids and families. People are generally smart, kind, and relational. The resources available to provide great patient care are significantly better than most hospitals, and if you've got a kid with a rare or serious illness, there's really no better place to bring them. Staff work incredibly hard here, and it's rare to encounter a someone who's basically just there for the paycheck, so those people tend to really stand out.

Cons

The organization has grown massively in the past decade, and senior leadership has not kept up. Communication is poor, often unplanned, and often lacking transparency. Decisions tend to be reactive, or not made at all. Hierarchy rules, under a fairly thin veneer of being consensus-driven. It's like the organization wants to believe it's a democracy, but really operates like an oligarchy (e.g. shared governance committees which have no authority, committees who are not accountable to anyone to produce a result).

Like every other hospital, Children's is asking its staff to do more with less. While this isn't fun, people do understand it. What's missing is time and energy to figure out how to work smarter rather than harder. Staff think the solution to every problem is to hire someone new, so old practices get perpetuated rather than new practices innovated. The hospital hasn't figured out that exhausted people aren't very creative, and resist change not because the ideas are bad, but because they don't have the energy resources to make the adjustments to a new way to working.

There are rules and policies for everything. And I mean, everything. Some of this is regulatory agency driven (sigh), but some is an old belief that people won't do the right thing unless they're told what to do. This creates endless, pointless bureaucracy. What staff need is to be clear on their end goals, to have line of sight to what matters most, and to be empowered to act accordingly.

The CEO is a good man who genuinely cares about the organization and the mission. But he's not interested in leading the organization, and should formally re-design his role to focus on national lobbying for healthcare reform, which appears to be his passion and consumes most of his time. He needs to step aside and genuinely empower his COO, who's a superb leader, who people admire and will follow. Right now, he practices seagull management: fly around at 30,000', periodically dive bomb into details, crap all over everything, and fly off again. It happens constantly, and I can only assume he's unaware of the negative impact it causes.

Children's Hospital Colorado Response

Jan 7, 2015Web Content Specialist

Thank you for sharing your concern about Children's Hospital Colorado. We'd like to learn more about your experience. Please feel free to email us at website@childrenscolorado.org with your contact ... More

Great

Current Intern - Dietetic Intern in Aurora, CO
    Current Intern - Dietetic Intern in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful facility, great learning environment

Cons

There are no cons I have yet experienced.

Children's Hospital Colorado Photos