Children's Hospital Colorado

3.3

Children's Hospital Colorado Interim CEO Jena Hausmann
Jena Hausmann
1 Rating

Pros
  • Work-Life balance is important to my director (in 3 reviews)

• Providers are dedicated to helping kids (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance used to be good but it's getting worse as empty positions are not filled (in 5 reviews)

• Very-biased organization on the non-clinical/finance side (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Place to Work and Serve Others at the Same Time

Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Information Technologies in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Although we are still a business that has to remain profitable, we always remain focused on our true mission of helping kids at the same time. Many of our employees and volunteers have their own private reasons for coming to Children's which often includes having our own children that we're helped or even saved by those that were here and willing to serve others. The opportunities for advancement have always been amazing and it has opened my eyes to careers that I've never even considered before.

Cons

Sometimes, we struggle with a work-life balance because we are now being asked, especially by our government, to do a lot more with less. Many of the perks that we once had available are no longer available.

Perks don't always need to be financial but recognition is always appreciated. Sponsored lunches, casual Fridays and even an occasional in-person stop over from the Executive Team helps the teams feel appreciated and respected.

Great company to work for!

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

Good compensation, friendly management, great values

Cons

Do not promote from within

Good company

Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good company to work with

Cons

None. People and management are good. No complains

Keep doing what you do

Great Mission, Not Great Balance

Pros

Good group of employees all working towards helping sick children. The mission of this organization is great and they are well respected in the communities they serve. Proud to say I work for Children's Hospital Colorado!

Cons

No work/life balance, mediocre benefits, no training provided for the job, so makes it hard to be successful in your job. Management is very micro-management focused and poor executive leadership. There is a lot of recent change which has led to a not so happy workforce and stressful environment, which is not good for the patients we serve.

Start caring about your employees as much as you do your patients and make it a fun environment realizing that people have life outside of work as well.

Children's Hospital Colorado is an excellent, caring, service-oriented organization to work for

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Aurora, CO

Pros

The organization respects people and the challenges that all of us face in our personal lives. It provides flexibility when needed, but also requires accountability and focus toward our core responsibilities.

Cons

The organization is going through some cultural changes which causes some tension, anxiety and frustration among its employees. Also, because it is a non-profit hospital, there are not large budgets to support employee's continuing education and training goals.

Be prepared to join a cult

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse II in Denver, CO

I worked at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great facility, decent benefits many locations, kind caring employees, longtime favorite of children in the Rocky mountain area.some good employees.

Cons

Gossip, politics, and loads of estrogen! Drink the kool-aid or else! Lack of supplies, poor equipment, judgmental management , manage by intimidation, high turnover,.the culture is unwelcoming and condescending.

Advice to management? Midol!

Dedicated providers taken for granted

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Providers are dedicated to helping kids. Ongoing education opportunities. Generally supportive of working parents.

Cons

Upper management is out of touch with those actually helping kids. Poor financial stewardship. Lack of accountability for poor performers. Lack of recognition or appreciation for achievers.

Talk with care providers and listen to what they have to say. Reign in discrepantly expensive testing (Medicaid patients receive much more testing than those with private insurance, even though privately insured patients are billed at obscene multipliers.)

I agree with writer of title "Great Place for Kids"

Current Employee - Intern Pharmacist in Aurora, CO
    Current Employee - Intern Pharmacist in Aurora, CO

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado as an intern (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many top notch individuals to work with, many experts in their fields. Close proximity to academic center. Nice atmosphere for patients and family.

Cons

There seemed to be a shift to more corporate behavior since the name change and 100 year celebrations. Now, working here is much like many other large companies i.e. treat longtime employees poorly, retain and recruit more management. For example, they took away bus passes which were included as part of our benefits. Only the neediest employees utilize them (including a few environmentally conscious folks). Losing bus passes was like getting a 5-10% pay cut for most employees that used them. At the same time, the hospital required that departments double the numbers in management so that there are a fewer employees per manager. I couldn't schedule a meeting with my manager for 2 years since, didn't seem to make a difference.

Fair

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Excellent Heath care provider to children

Cons

Lack of respect for employes for employees who are not in management

Jim Schmerling the CEO is excellent and seems very caring. However, the layer of managers and directors, below him do not value their employees. There is a culture of too much micromanagement. Management is to numbers and overlooks the big picture.
    Should have a system to obtain feedback from current employees.
    Should act on results of the annual employee opinion surveys.

Great place for kids

I have been working at Children's Hospital Colorado

Pros

The kids! Fantastic, knowledgeable colleagues and medical professionals.

Cons

Have worked for this hospital for 10+ years, have seen a shift from a family type environment to a large corporate business. Less focus on retaining staff and staff satisfaction and more focus now on the bottom line and making money. Many benefits that have provided a lot of staff satisfaction for years have been taken away over the last year or two. Managers are hired with the title of "clinical" manager yet have no experience in the area they are managing. Severe disconnect between management and knowledge of what their day to day staff does.

Children's Hospital Colorado Photos