Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Dahling

Great

Information Services Support Specialist (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters full-time for less than a year

ProsBenefits are great working here and the staff are all willing to help you grow within the workplace.

ConsRetirement benefits are not so great.

I smiled more when I left than when I was hired.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters full-time

Pros* Co-Workers - they make life bearable (almost)
* The Mission - you really do make a difference with children and families struggling through illness

Cons* Management - the in-fighting (or squabbling) is incessant and depressing
* Supervisors - As a person who has been in the work force for 20+ yrs, my CHKD manager leads the pack as worst supervisor/boss. Because of a long career, talking to HR or upper management proved futile and even more disheartening. Cronyism at its finest.
* Overload - Too much work, too few employees
* Boundaries - Overt (and remorseless) racism and an overwhelming and vocal disregard to others' religious (or non-religious) beliefs outside of the majority

Advice to Senior Management* Management Training - grow leaders, not bullies. teach respect, so they can respect others.
* Hire outside consultants to refresh the whole lot on respecting others' backgrounds and beliefs.
* Upper Management should seek feedback from employees below management level --- and listen.

Feels like a slap in the face every pay day

Clinician (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBest reasons to work here is most definitely because of the children and knowing that you aRe helping a sick child and their families get through a hard time.

Cons#1- don't ever expect the Pres. to ever acknowledge you unless it's at the Christmas luncheon and he stands at the door to quickly shake your hand with out looking at you.
#2- what your start pay is will only change within cents for 10 years you might spend here.
#3- you will always wonder how the hospital affords million dollar renovations but no one ever receives a bonus or a raise for each year they work.
#4- most families I have met hate being inpatient.
#5- for the amount you spend on getting your education you are much better off working anywhere else to pay the loans off first.

Racist employees that get a smack on the hand for belittling co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management of the facility should be less concerned about walking around with big heads and actually stop and get to know the ones who do the real hard work.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

H

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters

ProsFriends and coworkers make the job fun!

ConsThey use the "do it for the kids" as a way for you to continue to stay there.

Great for starting a career but lacking in advancment

IS Applications Specialist (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters full-time for more than a year

ProsThey tend to grab people with little to no experience. So this can be great for someone getting out of college or starting a new career path. There is also a general sense of community where everyone knows it's all about helping the children.

ConsThe pay is horrible and you don't get any raises or promotions. there is virtually no room for advancement. A lot of the employees including management have been there for 10+ years and have strong bias towards new comers.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 2 years management tends to treat you like your as new as the employee they just hired. there is a tendency for them to only trust employees there for 10 years or more.

It could be so much more...

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Norfolk, VA

ProsThere are a lot of friendly people to work with, great intern program, good surgeons, patient's can be adorable.

ConsIt doesn't have a merit based pay initiative, it only gives out a cost of living wage, and even that is taken away when finances are difficult. No clinical ladder. Advancement opportunities are not really earned but given to friends as perks. There is no retention program, there is no retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou shouldn't be afraid of what is the right thing to do.

CHKD

Norfolk, VA

I have been working at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGiving our time to the children is so rewarding. The staff really love what they are doing. Benefits.

ConsMedicare drive a lot of our funds.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo amount of money spent on employee appreciation is too much. We give our all.

Not a pleasant experience for me

Manager-job Ended In 2006 (Former Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I worked at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters full-time for less than a year

ProsWorking with ill children and infants

ConsHeavy political (politically correct) atmosphere

Underpaid, underappreciated w/unrealistic expectations

Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I worked at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters full-time for more than a year

ProsThe children.
The impact you can make on the family of a sick child is all the gratitude I need.
The doctor I worked under was amazing & we kept in touch long after I left the practice.

ConsBesides being completely underpaid, management was very cruel and played favorites; enjoyed pitting colleagues against one another.
Got to the point where I hated coming to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementA new manager altogether would be a wise idea.

The only reasons to work here are the patients

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters

ProsOnly pediatric hospital in the immediate area, great staff physicians, amazing patients, strong community support

ConsPoor pay, poor benefits, employees are very condescending towards each other creating a negative work environment, managers play favorites, difficult to get time off, hospital offers tuition assistance however makes it difficult to claim, raises are few and far between, raises are small when given, hospital does not recognize employees for excellent work, "guilty until proven innocent" frame of mind

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees; all the good employees are leaving for hospitals that treat them better, and it's beginning to show in the quality of care.

Worked for Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters CEO Jim Dahling. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Hospital Of The King's Daughters employees.