Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland

Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland Reviews

Updated Oct 25, 2013

Be The First To
Add Photos

Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland President and CEO Frank Tiedemann

Frank Tiedemann

Wonderful research environment

Research Associate (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat administrative staff, supportive community, access to tons of resources within the organization and also outside.

ConsStaff is a bit slow in getting new equipment to folks who need it, chronic underfunding problem, never enough space.

Awesome mission, awesome people, awesome benefits.

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland

ProsMany people have been working 20+ years here for a reason. The pay is great, and the benefits are better than what you would see in 80% of the companies out there.

ConsCommunication about future plans could be better. Most information regarding major changes seems to trickle from employee to employee based on what their managers told them.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe know you are committed to the cause, but it would be helpful if employees had more direction on the really important issues that the hospital is facing.

management

Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland full-time for more than 10 years

Prospeople that work for children's are very friendly and nice, excellent care is provided for the children that are seen at the hospital, because it is a non-profit hospital no sick child is ever turned away.

ConsUnfair management practices,need more management training in how to talk to individuals with respect and not in a degrading tone.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne word Training, need more supervisor and management training

A nice place to work

Study Coordinator (Former Employee)
Oakland, CA

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits (not as good recently though, I heard) and flexible working conditions. The people that work there are pretty great, mostly - friendly and have good senses of humor. Plus, you always feel like you're contributing to society and it's hard to be in a bad mood around the kids.

ConsIf you are a non-clinical person, you are at the lowest tier of the totem pole and they will give you as much (usually really low-level) work as you will take on. Forget reaching your full potential - there's really limited opportunity for us folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize all of your employees to their full potential, try to be more organized and efficient.

It was a great place to work. Everyone is there for the children.

Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland

ProsProfessional employees, pleaseant place to work, good salaray and benefits

ConsCan be a stressful environment. Sometimes dealing with the politics and adminstration is frustrating.

Not a bad place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland

ProsVery reasonable work hours, and the feeling of contributing to research is rewarding. CHORI has a good reputation as a research institute.

ConsSome politicking: recurring tensions between research team and staff in one lab. The location in Oakland is a bit on the iffy side if you take public transportation to and from.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs far as I know, "management" generally stays out of the PIs' way, so the managing experience varies from lab to lab

Friendly research environment

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland

Pros- Great summer program
- Really nice staff
- Tight security

Cons- Not a lot of opportunities to meet with people from other labs
- Administration can be incompetent at times
- Not the safest neighborhood

Advice to Senior ManagementThe gap between administration and scientists needs to be bridge. Often times, there is a lack of communication or worse, miscommunication.

Good place to start learning molecular techniques

Volunteer Student Researcher (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland as an intern for more than a year

Prosoccasional social events such as BBQ, Ice-cream, and television shows screening (when I was there, they played Sherlock Holmes); research seminars where the company researchers present findings; facilities including a beautiful patio, ping pong table; people are nice

Conswork can get feel repetitive as a volunteer researcher after a year doing the same procedures and techniques if you do not keep up with the research literature; not enough discussion and enthusiasm between peers over research progress.

The hospital does not value its employees

Interpreter (Current Employee)
Oakland, CA

I have been working at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland as a contractor for more than a year

ProsHelping children, being useful to society.

ConsThe management lacks flexibility, the pay rate is low compared to other hospitals in the area

Advice to Senior ManagementTo avoid the exodus of qualified employees is good to recognize them, pay them what they are worth, be flexible with them.

Inpatient pharmacy-TOXIC environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland full-time

ProsGood working relations with a handful of inpatient pharmacy staff (a couple of pharmacists and technicians), the medical residents, patients, janitorial staff and some nurses.

ConsThe inpatient pharmacy department is a high-school playground with many bullies/queen-bees. The management is well aware of the work place bullying going on but refuses to do anything. Quite simply put the management panders to the bullies. There are employees in the inpatient pharmacy that are targeted, harassed, bullied, and discriminated against by fellow employees and management rewards them.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe inpatient pharmacy management and the human resources department (who are well aware of the atrocities going on in the inpatient pharmacy) are part of the problem. They have been given tons of advice but refuse to do anything.

Worked for Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland CEO Frank Tiedemann. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Hospital & Research Center at Oakland employees.