Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Updated March 2, 2015
3.9

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler
Steven M. Altschuler

Pros
  • making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments (in 5 reviews)

• Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They have little to no concern for their employees (in 3 reviews)

• You have to go through many safety training in different level (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

82 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great Place to work

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Great benefits and great working environment. UPENN is nearby so I get go there for various seminars

Cons

Didn't get promotion even after working for many years. Career development program is not there for researchers.

Consider the PhD researchers as valuable as MD researchers

Coordinator

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Everything we do at CHOP supports families and patients when they are at their most vulnerable. It really is a very special type of work and takes caring individuals to help meet the need of the patients .Employees can also take pride in the fact that “hospitals are the backbones of communities."

Cons

Working with co-workers who do not like their job and constantly complains. Having a bad attitude and gossiping can make your job difficult.

Listen to the concerns of your employee.
    Provide additional training for managers to handle employee conflict and get HR involved before the problem gets out of hand.

CHOP Social Work Intern

Current Intern - Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

CHOP offers great learning opportunities and a healthy environment to work in.

Cons

Very high standards make them less flexible.

Excellent place to work, very enjoyable atmosphere and people are easy to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The organization is willing to work with employees on career growth. I have received several certification classes already and I have been given approval for several others.

Cons

Decisions are made by consensus so sometimes it is hard to get things done when you need large number of people to agree to a particular change.

Keep up the good work.

Great support from supervisors

Current Contractor - Researcher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Researcher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lab meetings
    Opportunities for growth
    Great Learning Community

Cons

Low Pay
    Little holiday eggs

My experience has been so much more terrible working here than I could possibly ever imagine.

Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

It feels nice knowing that your work is helping children and many coworkers are wonderful people. There are decent benefits and if you have a good position, life can be very enjoyable here as it has a strong connection with Penn and attracts a dynamic international crowd of doctors and researchers.

Cons

I had one of the worst experiences here and CHOP is 100% to blame for this. Right after starting, I had to report my boss for creating a sexually hostile work environment. I followed HR policy to report the abuse and protect a future international employee from leaving a job for one in which she could end up deported. I was first ignored for days because they have a system in place to try to hide any bad PR through a third party website. When I forced CHOP to take action, they handled the situation entirely wrong and caused a confrontation and for me to lose my job. I was treated with the utmost rudeness by the HR department for following company policy and reporting the inappropriate behavior. They then left me hanging for days while going on vacation. I had to continually push for them to step up and do their jobs in the HR department and was given no choice as to my next position. In the new position, I was not allowed to renegotiate my salary despite the job having far more work. I have been lied to several times about salary increases and have been given ten times more work and biohazard jobs that I never agreed to for less pay than was initially indicated for my first position. CHOP receives a large amount of money from researchers, so their behavior is basically unmonitored and they go unpunished for illegal actions. With the new job postings, you have no way of telling who the researcher is, so anyone could end up in a terrible situation like I did. I also tried transferring within the company after 6 months in my new position like I was told I could, but am unable to because it is not in CHOP's best interest.

Stop retaliating against sexual harassment victims and do a better job at actually reading complaints.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great appreciation from the community and lots of learning opportunities from CHOP staffs and internal programs; Great medical benefits

Cons

Low raise (50 cents per year!)

Love It!

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

good pay, great benefits, great coworkers, job stability

Cons

none for me so far.

up a workers pay of your going to start having them do projects that are not in their job description and that you would normally have someone in a higher position do.

Registered Nurse

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wonderful hospital with great resources and colleagues. Benefits are great and management is organized. Everyone on my unit was incredibly supportive, intelligent, and team oriented. Due to the caliber of the hospital, top notch doctors and nurses are drawn there. Innovative clinical trials being conducted at CHOP.

Cons

Salary lower than national average. Otherwise, no cons.

Great and challenging

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Fellow in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

You work with the top scientists and the 'who is who' in research

Cons

Need a better HR and admin department, some are really slow

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Photos