Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Updated February 22, 2015
3.9

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler
Steven M. Altschuler

Pros
  • making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments (in 5 reviews)

• Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They have little to no concern for their employees (in 3 reviews)

• You have to go through many safety training in different level (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

CHOP Social Work Intern

Current Intern - Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

CHOP offers great learning opportunities and a healthy environment to work in.

Cons

Very high standards make them less flexible.

CHOP

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

You're making sick children get better, thats all the motivation you need! CHOP also matches up to 3% (on your 6%) contribution to a 403b.

Cons

CHOP's pay-scale for non MDs isn't great and employees are not the priority here. Patients are the piority which is appropriate but there is room for improvement on making employees feel like they matter. Postdocs get screwed because they are employees and get all the taxes taken out that employees do. Other institutions consider postdocs to be trainees and they get a lot of tax breaks.

Excellent place to work, very enjoyable atmosphere and people are easy to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The organization is willing to work with employees on career growth. I have received several certification classes already and I have been given approval for several others.

Cons

Decisions are made by consensus so sometimes it is hard to get things done when you need large number of people to agree to a particular change.

Keep up the good work.

Research institute is well-funded and diverse

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Top level children's hospital in the US. Highly prestigious

Cons

Like all other hospitals, can be overbooked

My experience has been both challenging and rewarding as being part of an evolving department

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been able to greatly expand my experience in my field as well as being able to greatly interact with a wide range of collaborators from different fields. I have also greatly appreciated the opportunity to expand on multiple projects.

Cons

The work is very interesting but the work/life balance can suffer

Medical Technologist

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Work-life balance, personal growth, company value

Cons

Benefits, promotions, training, time-off policies

Smart people, relaxed environment

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

I've enjoyed my time working here part time. It's nice to be surrounded by people who are working in a place they really want to be.

Cons

This, like other hospitals, can feel like a slow moving, bureaucratic place. Everything is pretty protected and shuttered.

Great support from supervisors

Current Contractor - Researcher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Contractor - Researcher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Lab meetings
    Opportunities for growth
    Great Learning Community

Cons

Low Pay
    Little holiday eggs

Lab Assistant

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Flexibility, great coworkers, opportunities to learn new skills

Cons

The pay is minimum wage

My experience has been so much more terrible working here than I could possibly ever imagine.

Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

It feels nice knowing that your work is helping children and many coworkers are wonderful people. There are decent benefits and if you have a good position, life can be very enjoyable here as it has a strong connection with Penn and attracts a dynamic international crowd of doctors and researchers.

Cons

I had one of the worst experiences here and CHOP is 100% to blame for this. Right after starting, I had to report my boss for creating a sexually hostile work environment. I followed HR policy to report the abuse and protect a future international employee from leaving a job for one in which she could end up deported. I was first ignored for days because they have a system in place to try to hide any bad PR through a third party website. When I forced CHOP to take action, they handled the situation entirely wrong and caused a confrontation and for me to lose my job. I was treated with the utmost rudeness by the HR department for following company policy and reporting the inappropriate behavior. They then left me hanging for days while going on vacation. I had to continually push for them to step up and do their jobs in the HR department and was given no choice as to my next position. In the new position, I was not allowed to renegotiate my salary despite the job having far more work. I have been lied to several times about salary increases and have been given ten times more work and biohazard jobs that I never agreed to for less pay than was initially indicated for my first position. CHOP receives a large amount of money from researchers, so their behavior is basically unmonitored and they go unpunished for illegal actions. With the new job postings, you have no way of telling who the researcher is, so anyone could end up in a terrible situation like I did. I also tried transferring within the company after 6 months in my new position like I was told I could, but am unable to because it is not in CHOP's best interest.

Stop retaliating against sexual harassment victims and do a better job at actually reading complaints.

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Photos