Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Reviews

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler

Steven M. Altschuler

Pros:
  • "Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly"
    in 7 reviews
  • "making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "They have little to no concern for their employees"
    in 2 reviews
  • "Hard to climb up the career ladder"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThis is a great hospital to work for. I feel they really take care of their employees. I like the friendly atmosphere. The patient is of highest priority here at CHOP. We truly care about these children as if they are our own. Ability to advance your career. I have worked other places and they don't compare to CHOP

ConsWish our salaries were equal to the other salaries in the city.

Would not recommend.

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe doctors and nurses truly care about the children. Not much worry about layoffs.

ConsThey have little to no concern for their employees. Very difficult to make it up the ladder. Have to jump through hoops to get a very small increase. Not given the feeling of being part of a big team.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to know that employees are cared about. If you do not work at the Main hospital in Philadelphia you don't receive the same benefits that they do. Satelite offices should be included in what goes on at CHOP.

Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Does not Promote

Medical Technologist (Current Employee)
Phila, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe pay is good compared to other hospitals outside of the city. The work is interesting.

ConsCHOP doesn't seem to want to invest in current employees. There is a wealth of talent in the department, but whenever there is an opening, there is more emphasis on outside candidates. There is a "career ladder", but the same standards are not applied to everyone. It seems that if you threaten to quit or complain, you don't have to work as hard for your promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the same standards for everyone when considering promotions. If someone threatens to quit, rethink that employee's value (especially if it's not the first time).

Look within for future talent. People get disgruntled when they are being passed over for openings that they qualify for. Invest in your current employees. There is a reason you hired these people in the first place.

Mostly Positive

Research (Current Employee)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRewarding mission, excellent clinical care, groundbreaking research

ConsVery little accountability with non-clinical employees, multiple processes with little training or rationale, no infrastructure - every department acts as its institution, no hierarchy, lack of parking

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in IT, encourage testing phases of new systems/processes before rollout

Analysis of HITS CLIP data

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Prosgreat work environment at CHOP

Consno cons as of now

research experience at CHOP

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, good research, good cafeteria

Consadministrative systems are not very supportive

A fulfilling and learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

ProsGreat work atmosphere. Super helpful co-workers. Opportunities to tackle challenging assignments. Able to see your work in action and its impact. Beautiful nurses.

ConsHard to climb up the career ladder. A lot of bureaucracy and red tape. Therefore, will have to manage around that. Any plans or ideas require a lot of approvals and management. A highly regulated industry therefore all plans have to be developed according to regulations.

Advice to Senior ManagementPossibly, pay the interns a little higher. Great integration of interns and employees into the company. It would also be great if interns get an all round experience and have the opportunity to explore other departments and work.

Financial Councelor

Financial Counselor (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

ProsIts a friendly atmosphere, with great potential for advancement for educated parties.

ConsThere seems to be a lack of internal non degreed advancement

Good place to work, people are friendly and helpfull

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 8 years

Prosmaking a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments

Conslegacy systems, policies not uniformly applied through out the company

Lovely place to work

Research Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

ProsThis place is full of brilliant doctors and colleagues. Meaning is built right in to your job. CHOP lets you know they care about you as an employee. The positive atmosphere mixed with the chance to do real good for others is intoxicating. I will go back, if there is a good fit for me in the future.

ConsPay can be low in some positions. It is also difficult to advance, since so many people do not want to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep spreading the meaning and caring...and find more money for your researchers; they are worth it!

Worked for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia CEO Steven M. Altschuler. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia employees.