Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Reviews

Updated Mar 30, 2014

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler

Steven M. Altschuler

Pros:
  • "Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly"
    in 7 reviews
  • "making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "They have little to no concern for their employees"
    in 2 reviews
  • "Hard to climb up the career ladder"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible mistake, transferring to a new hospital ASAP

Oncology Access Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for less than a year

ProsPay decently, prestigious job, feel like I'm making a difference

ConsCoworkers are horrible and catty, administrators are horrible, little to no guidance on position, nobody takes blame or control for their problems, training was the blind leading the blind.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees rather than telling them to "figure it out", just because somebody has been doing their job for 25 years does not mean they have been doing it correctly if effectively

One of the best places to work??? Don't believe it for a minute!!

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

ProsPhenomenal benefits with low employee copays. Competitive salaries. Convenient to public transportation. Stable company making consistently high profit. Worthy mission.

ConsWhile CHOP looks like a good place to work on paper, the reality is an entirely different story. I'm consistently amazed at how they manage to keep the truth from getting out and maintain this "top-notch" image that they have, and so glad to have found a forum such as this to warn people. I cannot speak for EVERY department there as it is a huge institution; I can only tell you what my particular department was like. I am reaching to find a word that could even come close to describing the utter insanity, incompetence and abuse that went on with the higher level of management in my department. People were hired without the specific experience/background they needed in order to be effective in their leadership positions, but their abuse of power was rampant. Employees were randomly targeted and SEVERELY mistreated. Hard-working staff was treated degradingly and condescendingly; pummeled with workloads that were not humanly possible to complete; harrassed by non-stop emails and other communication; and never given praise or appreciation for outstanding efforts, or rewarded with well-earned raises. There was no place for home-work balance whatsoever; long hours were expected. There seems to be no recourse for any of this, either, as everything at CHOP is highly political, and Human Resources is completely ineffective and bureaucratic. I would not work there again if it were the last employer on earth, and the horrors that I encountered and endured will remain with me for years to come.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe involved! Find out what is REALLY going on in each department -- do not take the department executives' words without a thorough and fair investigation. Have some discernment in determining where the real trouble is coming from; then get rid of anyone who is not working to create and maintain a harmonious and supportive work environment, and appreciate and reward those who are going above and beyond.

Would not recommend.

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe doctors and nurses truly care about the children. Not much worry about layoffs.

ConsThey have little to no concern for their employees. Very difficult to make it up the ladder. Have to jump through hoops to get a very small increase. Not given the feeling of being part of a big team.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice to know that employees are cared about. If you do not work at the Main hospital in Philadelphia you don't receive the same benefits that they do. Satelite offices should be included in what goes on at CHOP.

Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Does not Promote

Medical Technologist (Current Employee)
Phila, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe pay is good compared to other hospitals outside of the city. The work is interesting.

ConsCHOP doesn't seem to want to invest in current employees. There is a wealth of talent in the department, but whenever there is an opening, there is more emphasis on outside candidates. There is a "career ladder", but the same standards are not applied to everyone. It seems that if you threaten to quit or complain, you don't have to work as hard for your promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the same standards for everyone when considering promotions. If someone threatens to quit, rethink that employee's value (especially if it's not the first time).

Look within for future talent. People get disgruntled when they are being passed over for openings that they qualify for. Invest in your current employees. There is a reason you hired these people in the first place.

Room for improvement

Staff Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with children, and friendly staff.

ConsQuality of management totally depends onto which unit one is assigned.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a unit manager has become too embittered and uninterested, after working at hospital for a lengthy period of time, then it is time for a transfer to another dept. where manager is not directly affecting the work/life quality of an entire unit.

Some unit managers are willing to work with their staff to accommodate scheduling preferences/needs, but one in particular claims it is too difficult to deal with requests, so she doesn't make any schedule adjustments. Before a new schedule comes out, if a staff person requests a particular day off she tells them to find someone to work for them, or it is denied. It appears 'workforce productivity efforts' have yet to be implemented by all departments.

Management needs to review "benefits". For example, discounted parking is given to families; discounted or free parking should be provided for employees. As it stands it currently appears CHOP is trying to make money from its employees...bad PR. Discounted meals is another inexpensive benefit that won't affect the hospital's bottom line, but could make an employee's struggle to get by on a minimal salary a bit easier. Offering an employee health office, would be another inexpensive yet much appreciated service. Especially because we work with germy children, strep tests, could easily be provided along with such basics such as BP checks, weight monitoring and diabetes counseling; bld. sugar levels, doctor referrals, and dispensing Tylenol, anti inflammatory, anti allergen meds, Flu shots, Tetanus shots, bandaids and antibiotic ointment as necessary.

Medical or surgical conditions that require a lengthy period of recovery should not be grounds for termination, even when recuperation time exceeds employees permitted days. I believe that is one reason for having an "on call" staff. The hospital is not expected to pay both employees during that time, so termination looks particularly bad from a PR standpoint. There is also no reason, under those circumstances, to threaten the nurse with loss of her unit, or preferred time of working after her return. That is punitive; it would not be done to management, nor should it be done to nursing.

Time off when transitioning from nights to days should be a minimum of 48 hours, not 41. Nor should nursing staff be expected to work both day and night shifts in any one week, except when transitioning from one block of time to the other.

As a teaching hospital the number of studies going on at any one time must be difficult to manage. From a staffing perspective let me point out that it is also exceedingly difficult to work around multiple clusters of "work groups" that gather on nursing floors each day. The group may be there to observe one patient, or to shadow a particular care giver, or gather information for the latest study. Isn't there a quiet, out of the way corner or room where these meetings can take place?!? Then there are attending rounds, residence rounds, staff rounds, EPIC rounds...and teaching groups. Attempting to weave around so many people while trying to reach several patients, amid constant interruptions, (especially in the mornings) can try the patience of a saint. I urge hospital management to spend one day a week for a year just standing for an hour on various floors of the hospital between 7:30 and 9:30 am to observe the general chaos that ensues. Please don't delegate this task to nursing, they are too used to the mania to find it distracting, at times to the point of dangerous, to be objective any longer.

Acknowledging the necessity to be concerned about the bottom line, a poor economy and a plethora of nurses and nursing care givers, it must be tempting to treat nursing staff as disposable. However it is counter productive, and leads CHOP to have a staff primarily composed of young, untested, unseasoned individuals with limited management experience.
This leads to a general sense of dissatisfaction, and frequent turnover, that is exacerbated by the previously mentioned hospital policies. The tone of the hospital is set by upper level management, and any intimation of concern and kindness (minor improvements to the benefit policies) would go a long way toward retaining some very talented and caring people.

It's all about the money

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

ProsWhat we are doing is for the children and that helps. Very talented staff. Location is decent if you want to work in the city and take the train.

ConsNo money for training or conferences unless it's about EPIC. Very political. IS CIO is a doctor and it really shows in how things are run. It's all about making money and "doing more with less"

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a real CIO and you see a real difference in what IS can do for the kids.

Work here if you like micro-management, work bullying, lies and favoritism.

Pathology Department (Current Employee)
Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for less than a year

ProsWork for children, generous PPL.

ConsThis is not the first job I have ever had so I am trying to be objective and not so negative about this place. I will only speak about my department-Pathology.

The most and least efficient micro-management ever seen. There is no flexibility whatsoever. The supervisors and managers DO not care about employees because they are there for their own agenda. They do not speak up for their employees, all they do is complying with their higher bosses.

Work bullying. Because the hospital does not like to fire anyone, people who work there for so long sometimes think they are untouched. A lot of work bullying.

Lies. Lies. Lies.

Favoritism. In order to move up, you must comply with higher bosses and be on their good side. They don't like to hear any constructive ideas like other places.

Of course, there are some very nice people in the department. But a lot of them are treated unfairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPointless. They do not care.

Great Patient Care, Terrible Employee Experience

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTheir mission and vision to serve families.

ConsFocused on bottom line. Employees not important. Micro-managers.

Stressful

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

ProsGreat benefits from a well respected organization.

ConsVery political.
Middle management seems unable to cope with the rapid growth of the organization. You work with very poor systems and any issues are seen as complaints and not as valid concerns.
Very limited growth opportunities with management that views any desire to move to other areas seen as disloyalty. Job assignments/opportunities based on who is liked and not offered to all.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck to ensure that middle management is actually following the rules you set forth.

I was deveived at the interview; most promises offered to me were lies.

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

ProsGood benefits, very nice people for the most part.

ConsLack of diversity, especially past the management positions; low salaries, expectations of after-hours work way too high; lack of clarity and communication from upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementHeading to the corporate path will result in your destruction sooner or later.

Worked for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia CEO Steven M. Altschuler. All 78 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Hospital of Philadelphia employees.