Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Reviews

122 reviews filtered by
3.9
Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler
Steven M. Altschuler

Pros
  • making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments (in 5 reviews)

• Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • They have little to no concern for their employees (in 3 reviews)

• You have to go through many safety training in different level (in 2 reviews)

1. Wonderful atmosphere to work in!

Current Employee - Genetics Researcher in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Genetics Researcher in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Having worked in the main hospital, the Wood Center, and the Abrasion Research buildings, I can say that every area of CHOP exudes positivity in the workplace. Everyone truly wants to be there because it's the #1 children's hospital in the nation. It is also the #1 children's hospital because everyone truly want to work there.

Cons

It is often difficult to get information updated, such as a new phone number or address, through HR. My checks were mailed to my old residence for almost 2 months before the error was finally corrected.

The process to apply for any job is long and laborious, but CHOP definitely take special precautions given that the work involved pertains to the well-being of children. Even so, I might be better to improve HR response time when hiring new recruits and dealing with all of that paperwork.

2. Disfunction Junction

Former Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Work location close to some amazing restaurants.

Cons

Management was clueless, no organization, the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing, coworkers were evil and stabbed fellow co-workers in the back in order to rise the corporate ladder.

Fire everyone in HR and start over!

3. i like my office

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

The flexibility in scheduling/ work life balance

Cons

Lack of growth within position

Training employee

5. In the beginning at children hospital was very place to work for we had mangment that care about there employee but not

Current Employee - Cashier in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Phila, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Getting to meet new people and get a great paid

Cons

Being around alike a very sick children and hearing that one you might get to know has pass away

That they need to listen to the employer more offer because there employer just might have some very good input.

6. Great Place to work

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Great benefits and great working environment. UPENN is nearby so I get go there for various seminars

Cons

Didn't get promotion even after working for many years. Career development program is not there for researchers.

Consider the PhD researchers as valuable as MD researchers

7. Coordinator

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Everything we do at CHOP supports families and patients when they are at their most vulnerable. It really is a very special type of work and takes caring individuals to help meet the need of the patients .Employees can also take pride in the fact that “hospitals are the backbones of communities."

Cons

Working with co-workers who do not like their job and constantly complains. Having a bad attitude and gossiping can make your job difficult.

Listen to the concerns of your employee.
    Provide additional training for managers to handle employee conflict and get HR involved before the problem gets out of hand.

8. CHOP Social Work Intern

Current Intern - Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Intern - Social Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

CHOP offers great learning opportunities and a healthy environment to work in.

Cons

Very high standards make them less flexible.

9. Excellent place to work, very enjoyable atmosphere and people are easy to work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The organization is willing to work with employees on career growth. I have received several certification classes already and I have been given approval for several others.

Cons

Decisions are made by consensus so sometimes it is hard to get things done when you need large number of people to agree to a particular change.

Keep up the good work.

CHOP

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

You're making sick children get better, thats all the motivation you need! CHOP also matches up to 3% (on your 6%) contribution to a 403b.

Cons

CHOP's pay-scale for non MDs isn't great and employees are not the priority here. Patients are the piority which is appropriate but there is room for improvement on making employees feel like they matter. Postdocs get screwed because they are employees and get all the taxes taken out that employees do. Other institutions consider postdocs to be trainees and they get a lot of tax breaks.

11. My experience has been so much more terrible working here than I could possibly ever imagine.

Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Research Technician I in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

It feels nice knowing that your work is helping children and many coworkers are wonderful people. There are decent benefits and if you have a good position, life can be very enjoyable here as it has a strong connection with Penn and attracts a dynamic international crowd of doctors and researchers.

Cons

I had one of the worst experiences here and CHOP is 100% to blame for this. Right after starting, I had to report my boss for creating a sexually hostile work environment. I followed HR policy to report the abuse and protect a future international employee from leaving a job for one in which she could end up deported. I was first ignored for days because they have a system in place to try to hide any bad PR through a third party website. When I forced CHOP to take action, they handled the situation entirely wrong and caused a confrontation and for me to lose my job. I was treated with the utmost rudeness by the HR department for following company policy and reporting the inappropriate behavior. They then left me hanging for days while going on vacation. I had to continually push for them to step up and do their jobs in the HR department and was given no choice as to my next position. In the new position, I was not allowed to renegotiate my salary despite the job having far more work. I have been lied to several times about salary increases and have been given ten times more work and biohazard jobs that I never agreed to for less pay than was initially indicated for my first position. CHOP receives a large amount of money from researchers, so their behavior is basically unmonitored and they go unpunished for illegal actions. With the new job postings, you have no way of telling who the researcher is, so anyone could end up in a terrible situation like I did. I also tried transferring within the company after 6 months in my new position like I was told I could, but am unable to because it is not in CHOP's best interest.

Stop retaliating against sexual harassment victims and do a better job at actually reading complaints.

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Photos