Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

Be The First To
Add Photos

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh President Christopher A. Gessner

Christopher A. Gessner

The place is wonderful, the people are great, and the work is rewarding.

Intern (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh as an intern for less than a year

ProsReasonable accommodations, flexible when needed.

ConsNot much of a chance to move up in leadership.

World Class Clinical Experience, Average Management for a Small Market

Professional Staff Nurse (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExperience to care for the most acute and complex patient populations in the world.

ConsLimited room for professional growth in small market city (Pittsburgh), Low compensation

Underpaid for a top 10 hospital where employee contributions gave it that status. Not top 10 in salary.

Medical Transcription (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time

ProsGood benefits. Ability to work from home for some employees. Programs for smoking cessation and weight loss. Some tuition reimbursement and their selected facilities.

ConsUnderpaid for the difficulty of the work managing individual requests and demands of 40+ clinics. Off site parking requiring a 15 min each way shuttle transport (30 min of unpaid time) in addition to the commute to the parking lot - and they don't reimburse parking despite people losing an extra half hour of their day every day which is 10 hours a month doing nothing but sitting in a shuttle.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize the vital contributions transcriptionists playin the patient record and quit outsourcing overseas. Value the Pittsburgh residents and the contribution its citizens make to UPMC as a tax-free entity and stop sending our jobs to national companies that outsource to India and Pakistan. Laying off dedicated employees who are Pgh citizens to send jobs out of the area -- and even worse -- overseas....is just wrong.

Good place that could easily be better

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 10 years

ProsYour work contributes to the welfare of the region's children.

ConsAreas or spheres of influence are very territorial. It's not always the best team working on a project. There were times when tasks were outsourced rather than given to qualified employees.

They have a values system in place that is consistently ignored by many in upper management, while all others are held accountable to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management functions like a fraternity -- protect the members at the top (director and higher), too bad for everyone else. People should be evaluated on true performance.

Good early on, but went downhill

Pitts, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice co-workers and middle management

ConsExecutive management is the problem

not the best pay

Medical Records (Current Employee)
Lawrenceville, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNew hospital but in a less than optimum area who genuinely care about providing the best care to sick children.

ConsAlways asking employees to contribute to free care fund or other yearly fund raisers when our pay for service isn't the best. Working for UPMC whose management seem more concerned with lining their pockets than paying their fair share of taxes to the city of Pgh and compensating employees fairly. Employees can't park on site but waste another 20 min to park off site to take shuttle - so 40 min lost daily for that inconvenience with of course no compensation and this is coupled with the drive time to/from work also, so some of us spend almost 1.5 hours getting to/from work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHealthcare costs have skyrocketed even as employees of the largest service provider in Pgh. Our pay rates have not matched the rising costs of healthcare, gasoline prices and the inconvenience of off site parking.

Children's Great Place to Work

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

ProsPatients and families first
Responsibility
Innovation
Dignity and Respect
Excellence

ConsLocation -- no easy way to get there unless you live in Lawrenceville

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Typical UPMC

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time for more than a year

ProsGood employee benefits, nice having a gym at the hospital

ConsOnly concerned with pleasing clinical staff members

Advice to Senior ManagementPromotions aren't done fairly, no one bothers to say thank-you for anything, clinical staff mostly rude.

It was an exceptionally eye-opening experience.

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

ProsVery positive public perception of Children's, proud to be affiliated with the organization.

ConsVery little room to advance in my area, lots of "silo" mentality. Parking was always an issue. My department exhibited very little flexibility in terms of scheduling, and required "on call" night time and weekend hours in addition to a full 40 hour week for no extra compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the patients, parents and families...they are the experts when it comes to their own children.

great

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

Prossalary, managers, location, employees, advancement

ConsThe parking can be difficult

Worked for Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh CEO Christopher A. Gessner. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh employees.