Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

Updated September 10, 2014
3.6

Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh President Christopher A. Gessner
Christopher A. Gessner

Great place to work, great people

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time with CHP. The people are very geared toward the ultimate mission of bettering the lives of Children. There really is no better mission. The people that I worked with and for were great. The environment was fun and the job was pretty straightforward.

Cons

There was a lack of mobility. As in most larger organizations promotion was more about who you know vs. what you did. There was also not a lot of adoption of a recruitment department along with HR dept. Many of the BUs still operated as one in the same, limiting the promotional opportunities. Since I left in 2011, UPMC, parent company to CHP, has consolidated its recruitment efforts across the entire health system.

No real advice to give.

beautiful hospital, miserable working environment

Current Employee - Patient Information Coordinator in East Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Patient Information Coordinator in East Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

close to home, benefits, tuition

Cons

its a very unorganized dept and management doesnt care

lack of communication, no leadership

Great opportunity for this mid-level professional who was looking for a lateral move within UPMC

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Flexible schedule (at least in my position); Affordable quality health and dental benefits; Facility is aesthetically pleasing with numerous unique artwork pieces displayed throughout the building

Cons

Workload is of a tedious nature; much of the information gleaned from my efforts does not get past my department head and into the hands of other managers who might act upon documented deficiencies.

Avoid requiring routine audits and related tasks unless meaningful follow-up with appropriate management is expected.

I enjoyed working for CHP or UPMC. The people there were friendly, caring, and willing t partner with you.

Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Recruiter in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great organization to work for, especially when partnered with UPMC. It was a honor to work for an organization with the mission that CHP has. It was a supportive environment and one that allowed for work-life balance.

Cons

As with many big businesses, there wasn't a lot of upward mobility from a career progression perspective. There was a feeling from within talent acquisition, that "it is all about who you know" versus what you are or can bring to the table.

I am glad to see that UPMC centralized it's recruiting function. Although I am sorry to see that this created a lot of layoffs from the various TA department at each hospital. I think you lost a lot of good talent. That being said, I think you are on a good path. You may want to consider a Global RPO for the next evolution of your TA department in addition with a new global ATS.

The place is wonderful, the people are great, and the work is rewarding.

Current Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Reasonable accommodations, flexible when needed.

Cons

Not much of a chance to move up in leadership.

Great place to work

Current Employee - ECMO in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - ECMO in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people. I really learned a lot and enjoyed being a part of the system.

Cons

Seeing sick children was a bit difficult, but the cause is great.

Keep up the great work

World Class Clinical Experience, Average Management for a Small Market

Current Employee - Professional Staff Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Professional Staff Nurse in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Experience to care for the most acute and complex patient populations in the world.

Cons

Limited room for professional growth in small market city (Pittsburgh), Low compensation

Underpaid for a top 10 hospital where employee contributions gave it that status. Not top 10 in salary.

Former Employee - Medical Transcription in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Medical Transcription in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Ability to work from home for some employees. Programs for smoking cessation and weight loss. Some tuition reimbursement and their selected facilities.

Cons

Underpaid for the difficulty of the work managing individual requests and demands of 40+ clinics. Off site parking requiring a 15 min each way shuttle transport (30 min of unpaid time) in addition to the commute to the parking lot - and they don't reimburse parking despite people losing an extra half hour of their day every day which is 10 hours a month doing nothing but sitting in a shuttle.

Recognize the vital contributions transcriptionists playin the patient record and quit outsourcing overseas. Value the Pittsburgh residents and the contribution its citizens make to UPMC as a tax-free entity and stop sending our jobs to national companies that outsource to India and Pakistan. Laying off dedicated employees who are Pgh citizens to send jobs out of the area -- and even worse -- overseas....is just wrong.

Good early on, but went downhill

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pitts, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers and middle management

Cons

Executive management is the problem

Good place that could easily be better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Your work contributes to the welfare of the region's children.

Cons

Areas or spheres of influence are very territorial. It's not always the best team working on a project. There were times when tasks were outsourced rather than given to qualified employees.

They have a values system in place that is consistently ignored by many in upper management, while all others are held accountable to it.

Upper management functions like a fraternity -- protect the members at the top (director and higher), too bad for everyone else. People should be evaluated on true performance.