Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Reviews

3.2
Peggy Troy

1. Children's hospital of Wisconsin

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great integrity amongst staff, decent management. No major incentives other than differentials on shifts and weekend program nurses get twice yearly bonuses. Often lower salary than other hospitals in the area but worth it to me for no adult patients.

Cons

Occasionally catty work place with high female worker to male ratio. Lots of mandatory hours, overtime and floating

2. Representative

Pros

I truly enjoy working for this organization. Following the At Our Best concepts everyone works as a team and supports each other in growing in their career.

Cons

No Cons; I enjoy being apart of this organization.

Nice place to work

Pros

The overall environment is very laid back and friendly. People are helpful and willing to share information. New work space is very nice.

Cons

Technology is cutting edge at Children's and IT employees are encouraged to be innovative and creative. However, some of the normal IT perks that are found elsewhere don't exist here - telecommuting, flexible work schedules, etc.

Advice to Management

Evaluate other IT Departments in other companies to realize how very small perks could make all the difference between keeping and losing good employees.

5. Children's Hospital of WI

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's easy to work at Children's because their mission is one anyone can get behind. It's a family-friendly environment!

Cons

Pay and benefits are not great. Benefits have gone and high-deductible plans are encouraged.

Family Case Manager

Former Employee - Family Case Manager in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Family Case Manager in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience opportunity, and wonderful coworkers.

Cons

Terrible organization in the community services department, horrible training plan for new employees. I had real life cases before I was given enough training to be successful. I was given almost no shadowing opportunities and I had to find my own support during my training period. I was blindsided in a surprise HR meeting and told that the possibility of me being "let go" was high, even though I had nothing but good reviews from everyone I spoke with. My peers said I did a good job and my training specialist said I was right on track and doing well. When I was given constructive criticism I took it gracefully and made the appropriate changes. This company has completely unethical business practices. I was set up for failure and thrown under the bus. They don't care about their employees or about the people in the community that we serve. This is supposed to be about making sure we better families' lives and make a positive impact to ensure children's safety in their home. How can that be possible if the company is allowing new employees to make decisions when they haven't gone through all the training and aren't given the support they need.

Advice to Management

Step out from your offices and see the progress your new employees are actually making. Don't require them to be responsible for real life cases until they have gone through all the training they need to be successful. Don't require training specialists to have multiple trainees or other cases so that they can effectively mentor and be there for the new employees. Yes, it can be a stressful job, but if employees are given enough training and support and feel completely comfortable in their role, the level of stress dissipates significantly.

Not The Place It Once Was, Very Sad

Former Employee - Staff RN in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Taking care of children and families is very rewarding work. Wonderful coworkers. Great interaction with staff in other departments. Good benefits. Indoor parking. Magnet Nursing Excellence. Nursing scholarships for any employee wishing to pursue a degree in nursing.

Cons

New CEO arrived several years ago and the entire system has gone downhill. Good leaders were let go and others were placed in senior admin roles who lack professionalism and leadership ability. High turnover in departments goes unaddressed for years because senior leadership and HR are totally aware but will not address the cause - ineffective supervisors, managers, directors. New talent won't stay as a result. They catch on fast. Workers suffer exhaustion trying to cover staff shortages. Work - life balance is very poor. This has had a trickle down effect as evidenced by CHW slipping in annual national pediatric hospital rankings.

Advice to Management

Listen to your worker bees. They are truly dedicated to the mission, the cost to them is so high. The departments with the turnover problems have long since been identified. Look at the leadership. You've made all sorts of changes at the top of the leadership food chain since the last CEO, you can do it on the departmental level too. Follow your own core values.

8. Okay Place to work.

Current Employee - Environmental Services Attendant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Environmental Services Attendant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (More than a year)

Pros

Diversity Benefits Working as a team Work hours Ability to work more hours as needed

Cons

Communication is horrible Unorganized Favortism Culture Recognition for employees is not fair

Advice to Management

Work on communication, and learn how to effectively deal with ALL employees.

9. Visitation Facilitator - Central Wisconsin

Former Employee - Visitation Facilitator
    Former Employee - Visitation Facilitator

I worked at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, access to position-related education, supportive upper management, good company goals and values, safety is a top priority, feels like you are helping families and children.

Cons

Fluctuating hours, must be available to coordinate communication majority of each day, some uncompensated time of phone calls/emails. Difficult to have other job(s) while having this one, but need to have other job(s) because of inability to guarantee hours. Miscommunication and lack of communication happens far too often between foster families/parents/social workers/and facilitator(s), causing confusion and making it difficult and stressful.I often felt like I had to be on call 24/7 for social workers, stressing me out at my other jobs, days off, and weekends.

Advice to Management

Be upfront as possible when interviewing about the immense amount of availability and time outside of actual visits a facilitator must be available in order to set-up and maintain visits. Find a possible solution to tracking phone calls that typically have to go uncompensated; even a few couple-minute calls a week adds up over each month. More one-on-one training, shadowing, etc. - Even with the online training and 6hrs of shadowing that is required, I still felt uncertain about how to handle many situations when they arose, and am glad nothing more serious happened at my visits.

10. Deceiving and Set Up For Failure

Former Employee - CT Technologist in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - CT Technologist in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Children's Hospital of Wisconsin part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were extremely nice and willing to help when I asked for it. The benefits offered were great and of course helping sick children is a great feeling.

Cons

This was supposed to be my dream job since I started radiology school in 2011. I worked hard to get the position and was ready to learn and do well as a CT technologist. I thought training was going fine until about 5 weeks into working there, I was told I was behind and my manager was 'very concerned'. I asked what I could have done better or what I could work on to get up to speed and wasn't given a straight answer, multiple times. I was only told to 'be more engaged and proactive.' I did everything I could in the following three weeks. Took extensive notes, asked for constant feedback (90% of the time it was positive), and scanned independently as much as possible. I figured with the feedback I was receiving, everything was fine. Little did I know, since no one decided to tell me, I was apparently FIVE weeks behind on training and where I should be. Once again my manager was of no help and resorted to threatening me of getting fired. There was no more I could do to improve. My question was, why didn't something happen sooner to ensure I would finish training on time? Why after three of training wasn't I told I wasn't up to speed yet, and asked what could be done to fix things and improve on things? Those were things not done. I was set up for failure. I felt as if I was thrown into the position and told to, 'figure it out'. I was also told I didn't know certain terms and things about the scanners which made me behind to. When I told my manager that no one had brought up those terms and I had no idea that I needed them, I was answered with, 'Someone MUST have mentioned them at least once. Maybe you don't remember.' No. I remember them NOT mentioning it. The topic was brushed away making me feel like it was my fault for just not 'knowing' that I needed to know all that. No help was offered to improve my skills and I was told that I was most likely going to be fired because I wasn't learning fast enough and they couldn't give me more training time even though I was only half way through training. It was a joke and I decided to resign. One comment made by my manager was that he felt that "No child would be safe alone with me and that I would do their exam safely."Followed by, "Not trying to be harsh, but.." EXTREMELY rude and unprofessional. You do NOT say that sort of thing to any employee no matter if that's what you think is true in you mind. I will take part responsibility for my training not going as well as it could have, but I will never take full responsibility.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you are God and better than everyone else. Learn how to train people properly and address issues sooner so that your employees don't fail. If your employees fail, you are failing as a manager. Also, learn how to communicate better. You need to be open, but not harsh in telling employees what you think.

11. Overall good experience

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Really great people to work with

Cons

No guidance ,no real structure

RSS Feed </> Embed