Children's Medical Center of Dallas

Children's Medical Center of Dallas Reviews in Dallas, TX

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Children's Medical Center of Dallas President and CEO Christopher J. Durovich

Christopher J. Durovich

Pros
  • They live the mission: making life better for children (in 4 reviews)

• Great mission and good overall place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I honestly don't know whether the senior leadership really knows what is happening in Children's IS (in 5 reviews)

• It is an extremely political environment and promotions are granted because of politics, not based on performance, expertise, or ability (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights
46 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Ok to work here

Trainer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood promising industry, meaningful work to help sick kids

ConsStressful non-stop workforce reorganization, increasing turnover.

Employees live the mission!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsChildren's employees are respectful of one another
    They live the mission: making life better for children.
    The work is rewarding and fun

ConsCould use more goal setting from leadership at the lowest level.
    Lots of chiefs, not enough indians

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with just culture and Rounding at all levels.

Best place I've ever worked

Anesthesia Tech (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosthe salary is more than what I expected to be paid, considering I had no previous experience

Consthe drive back and forth from home

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great clinicians in search of decent corporate leadership

Finance and Operational Support (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe bedside staff are second to none, the mission is unifying, the corporate and business leadership, however, is the worst I've seen in over 25 years in healthcare.

ConsLack of direction, lack of leadership, lack of opportunities for anyone who's not a nurse, lack of support in getting anything done that's not specifically on a leader's incentive plan. Although they are in "leadership" positions, I met very few executive who would fit any criteria of "leader".

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, my advice to middle management is get what you want out of your experience and use it to get to a better organization at a higher level. My advice to upper management is pocket the higher than average paychecks because at some point you will become the fall guy/gal for the CEO and EVPs, who take no blame and are not held accountable to any standards by the Board. For anyone considering this organization in the future, ask about plans for cost cutting, because it will likely involve you if you're not at the EVP level. VPs get switched out on a regular basis every 2 years. Senior Directors are pretty stable, but not high performers - you have to adapt to the dysfunction of the uppermost levels to survive, so everyone acts like a scalded dog.

Great employees but management level needs lots of improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsPTO plan is attractive, employees in some groups work well together and hospital mission of "Making Life Better for Children" motivates you to go to work everyday.

ConsManagement is disconnected to department in some areas and don't really work as a cohesive group.

Retaliation and Bullying is the game

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosthe children are the reason

ConsUnfair treatment for the people who really want to make a difference

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people below

Horrible as an employer. Saw many employees unfairly fired that had tenure. Many employees were not listened to.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat clinical service. Benefits as a patient are wonderful.

ConsHorrible for employees. Fired if you try to voice your opinion or ask to be heard. Senior management is in their own salaried world. Too many chief for one business. If you are listened to-nothing will be done about you being harassed or treated unfairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much favoritism, unfairness. Saw chaos in every department due to senior management not listening or proactively following up on employee concerns. Way too many Directors!!! There is a Director for a Director. What a waste of money! You need to look at Toyota's management system.

Making life better for Executives and VP's, not children!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCo-workers..great clinical staff, the people "really" making life better for children.

ConsNo opportunity for clinical professional development. Children's is a marketing machine...the marketing department is top notch! With that being said, it's all talk with no substance. I honestly don't know what all the directors, vice presidents and executives are paid to do..hire outside consulting firms to tell them what to do??

A lot of top notch staff were let go recently, yet the propaganda machine continues to promote that we are always looking to recruit and retain the best. It's just lip service.

Not for profit??..have you seen the amount of money being spent on facilities and the numerous new management and VP positions? Sure the hospital doesn't pay out profits to share holders..but that doesn't mean we aren't making a substantial profit.

Sadly...the hospital is being run just like the rest of corporate america.

No oversight of physicians.

Priority is on Children's "image" not clinical outcomes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the purple palace and learn what's going on in the hospital..senior leadership only tells you what you want hear. It's all smoke in mirrors. And stop with all the latest "MBA/MHA" trends!

Stop with the "Do better with less" mantra..this only infuriates front line staff when all we see is more and more spending on the facilities and hiring of VPs.

Great experience!

Social Worker (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFast pace, meaningful work! I really enjoyed the work here and believe it is a good place to start your career.

ConsI don't have much to say here, but disorganization occurred sometimes and caused some disrupt but nothing concerning

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Administrator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsModern facilities, great corporate learning function (although it is slowly being gutted), front line staff are smart and committed to the mission. Money is there to fund your dreams, if you are connected to the right people.

ConsAnything coming out of the Purple Palace - senior leadership is lots of words and no action. Would rather pay people to blame than actually get their hands dirty doing the real, difficult work. Values are given lip-service by leadership but not at all lived. Top management distracted by fads and trends versus focusing on fundamentals (we went through a 'Just Cultre', Service Excellence, Lean/Six Sigma, Anti-Hoizontal Violence, Work Outs, Studer Group and another packaged consulting group improvement overhaul just in the three years I was there). Lots of favoritism and the people who are actually making life better for children frequently get overlooked. Very little career development once you are in the door and a high-churn makes it hard to find a mentor a/o consistent work group.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front line staff, not just the people who are telling you what you want to hear. The organization is top heavy.

Worked for Children's Medical Center of Dallas? Contribute to the Community!