Children's Medical Center of Dallas

Children's Medical Center of Dallas Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Children's Medical Center of Dallas President and CEO Christopher J. Durovich

Christopher J. Durovich

Pros
  • They live the mission: making life better for children(in 4 reviews)

• Great mission and good overall place to work(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I honestly don't know whether the senior leadership really knows what is happening in Children's IS(in 5 reviews)

• It is an extremely political environment and promotions are granted because of politics, not based on performance, expertise, or ability(in 4 reviews)

Ok to work here

Trainer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood promising industry, meaningful work to help sick kids

ConsStressful non-stop workforce reorganization, increasing turnover.

Employees live the mission!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsChildren's employees are respectful of one another
    They live the mission: making life better for children.
    The work is rewarding and fun

ConsCould use more goal setting from leadership at the lowest level.
    Lots of chiefs, not enough indians

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with just culture and Rounding at all levels.

Best place I've ever worked

Anesthesia Tech (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosthe salary is more than what I expected to be paid, considering I had no previous experience

Consthe drive back and forth from home

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up the good work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great clinicians in search of decent corporate leadership

Finance and Operational Support (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe bedside staff are second to none, the mission is unifying, the corporate and business leadership, however, is the worst I've seen in over 25 years in healthcare.

ConsLack of direction, lack of leadership, lack of opportunities for anyone who's not a nurse, lack of support in getting anything done that's not specifically on a leader's incentive plan. Although they are in "leadership" positions, I met very few executive who would fit any criteria of "leader".

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, my advice to middle management is get what you want out of your experience and use it to get to a better organization at a higher level. My advice to upper management is pocket the higher than average paychecks because at some point you will become the fall guy/gal for the CEO and EVPs, who take no blame and are not held accountable to any standards by the Board. For anyone considering this organization in the future, ask about plans for cost cutting, because it will likely involve you if you're not at the EVP level. VPs get switched out on a regular basis every 2 years. Senior Directors are pretty stable, but not high performers - you have to adapt to the dysfunction of the uppermost levels to survive, so everyone acts like a scalded dog.

Great employees but management level needs lots of improvement

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsPTO plan is attractive, employees in some groups work well together and hospital mission of "Making Life Better for Children" motivates you to go to work everyday.

ConsManagement is disconnected to department in some areas and don't really work as a cohesive group.

Worst place I've ever worked. CEO taking the organization down.

(Current Employee)

ProsThe children, nurses and most of the clinicians are incredible and are truly there for the mission. The children make it all worth. Walking the halls makes you feel the mission in action.

ConsI've never worked under such a disengaged leadership in my life. So much incredible talent led by the most clueless group of leaders I've seen in my 20+ career. Executive leadership is disconnected from the culture of the hospital. They once held town halls where they all stood around like a middle school clique, ignoring the employees. The need for a good culture is sickeningly transparent. They have no clue they are the biggest joke among employees at Children's.

No mistakes allowed here. You can do 100 wonderful things, but one bad thing will get you dinged.They love to play Gotcha! This is the culture at the corporate level at Children's.

Let's talk about the CEO. He does not do well with children (difficult at a Children's hospital) and is very self-serving. Many of his direct reports can attest to his wildly inappropriate, sporadic behavior. Under his leadership, incredible employees have been fired at will or gotten out while they still can. Then he blames his executive leadership team for no one liking him. The Board is letting poor leadership run a great hospital into the ground.

Also, you are not to call the CEO of the hospital by his first name or email him if you are below a VP position. He has threatened to fire people because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board needs to take a hard look at the turnover at the hospital and really look into the results of the multiple employee surveys Chris demands. Things need to change from the top down in order for the hospital to rebuild its reputation.

Retaliation and Bullying is the game

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

Prosthe children are the reason

ConsUnfair treatment for the people who really want to make a difference

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people below

Transport Paramedic

ProsThe hourly pay is great but the yearly pay is comparable to a private EMS company - Management is very flexible with schedule and for the most part back you up.

ConsWhile you learn a lot about pediatrics, this is just an observation kind of job with SOME hands on. It is mainly the RN and RRT who work while you are driving everywhere and are the gopher, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaise the pay of the paramedics - youll keep them longer - and to the doctor - trust them more - they just might surprise you...

Horrible as an employer. Saw many employees unfairly fired that had tenure. Many employees were not listened to.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGreat clinical service. Benefits as a patient are wonderful.

ConsHorrible for employees. Fired if you try to voice your opinion or ask to be heard. Senior management is in their own salaried world. Too many chief for one business. If you are listened to-nothing will be done about you being harassed or treated unfairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much favoritism, unfairness. Saw chaos in every department due to senior management not listening or proactively following up on employee concerns. Way too many Directors!!! There is a Director for a Director. What a waste of money! You need to look at Toyota's management system.

Project Manager

ProsIncredible culture, amazing work they do, high quality professionals

ConsIt is downtown, because it is Healthcare there are a lot of politics that you can't really do anything about.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your people.

Worked for Children's Medical Center of Dallas? Contribute to the Community!