Children's Medical Center of Dallas

Updated September 16, 2014
2.9

Children's Medical Center of Dallas President and CEO Christopher J. Durovich
Christopher J. Durovich

Pros
  • They live the mission: making life better for children (in 4 reviews)

• Great mission and good overall place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I honestly don't know whether the senior leadership really knows what is happening in Children's IS (in 5 reviews)

• It is an extremely political environment and promotions are granted because of politics, not based on performance, expertise, or ability (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent atmosphere

Former Employee - Receptionist  in  Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Plano, TX

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a great job for health professionals, lots of room to grow

Cons

The administrative staff rotates more than average. It is not that bad but still it makes you wonder.

Listen to your frontline staff

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time

Pros

The benefits are great. The reputation in the community is great because of all the $ that is spent on marketing. Everyone who stays here stay because of the patients and their coworkers, not management.

Cons

Where to begin? People with NO qualifications or promoted because of who they know. VERY POLITICAL. They pay directors astronomical amounts of money to be nonproductive in meetings all day, and they are unavailable for their staff and have no clue what is going on. The leadership puts themselves on a pedestal separating themselves from the ppl actually doing the work. They are trying to do "just culture" yet still manage to retaliate against employees. Home care department is the blind leading the blind. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. No one has a clue.

Stop pointing blame, and try to focus on the reason why people work at Children's. Promote ppl based on their qualifications not based on the need to fill a position in a hurry so just hire your friend. Look around, ppl are leaving this organization left and right. Why?

Shocking!!

Former Employee - Lead  in  Dallas, OR
    Former Employee - Lead in Dallas, OR

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, competitive pay, free parking, paid holidays, 401k

Cons

Employees that have longevity there..don't like change and not going to change. When you try to do the best work that you can and never do anything right!! That is really great for moral, especially when you see the person next to you doing nothing!! How can management tell you that you need to smile more..when they never do..I would pass by employees all the time on the sky bridge that would rather look out the window or pretend like they're looking at their phone, to keep from speaking. I just thought it would be a great place to work, from the director, to management, to team leads, to employees... it is cut throat!! No one job is safe... no matter what your position is

Take the leader ship classes that are offered, because the great job that you may think you are doing..trust is a big issue and discrimination in the department I worked in

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to be in nursing or patient care. Awful place to be in administration role.

Former Employee - Director In Shared Services Role  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director In Shared Services Role in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This place has a great mission and legacy that draws good people. The people who work in operations and patient care -- nursing, allied health, etc. are focused and committed. And the administrators who come from, and manage, those areas are strong. The operations area has strong leaders who play nice with each other and try to do the right things for their employees.

Cons

The part of the organization that does not deliver patient care is a mess. The top exec is an awful leader and a troubled human being. After years of hiring in his own image, abusing people, and setting a bad example, many of the non-operations executives are as bad as he is. The exec group is huge and divisive. This creates confusion, conflict, and misbehavior throughout the organization.

There are two CMCs. Operations is a decent place to work with skilled and honorable leadership. The shared services and non-operations areas are a mess and a horrible place to be. Replace the CEO.

It's OK. Hopefully it's on it's way to getting better.

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the senior leadership seems invested in the new values that are being rolled out. The expansion into a health system and the new population health program is exciting, even if a lot of the hospital staff do not see to understand what it is about.

Cons

The hospital, like many others is going through a lot of changes. It has recently become a health system, and it is expanding, while trying to cut a massive amount of spending that it had gotten to used to in the past. There are a lot of morale issues and a lot of people who are stuck in "but we have always done it this way" mode. So for those of us who are newer who are trying to change things to make the place more efficient, it can be difficult.

Get on board with the new values. Get rid of the unit managers and up who do not buy in to the new values, otherwise, the values will not take hold at the grassroots. Be better about communication. A lot of what contributes to the morale issues has to do with a lack of communication. All of the VPs that are getting hired might not make everyone so upset if they understood how those roles fit into the organization, but all they know is that their coworkers have been let go and we have 40+ VPs. I get it because I have the academic background to understand it a bit better, but most of the clinicians and allied health people do not.

Ok to work here

Current Employee - Trainer  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Trainer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good promising industry, meaningful work to help sick kids

Cons

Stressful non-stop workforce reorganization, increasing turnover.

Employees live the mission!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Children's employees are respectful of one another
    They live the mission: making life better for children.
    The work is rewarding and fun

Cons

Could use more goal setting from leadership at the lowest level.
    Lots of chiefs, not enough indians

Continue with just culture and Rounding at all levels.

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Anesthesia Tech  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anesthesia Tech in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Medical Center of Dallas part-time for less than a year

Pros

the salary is more than what I expected to be paid, considering I had no previous experience

Cons

the drive back and forth from home

keep up the good work

Great clinicians in search of decent corporate leadership

Former Employee - Finance and Operational Support  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Finance and Operational Support in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The bedside staff are second to none, the mission is unifying, the corporate and business leadership, however, is the worst I've seen in over 25 years in healthcare.

Cons

Lack of direction, lack of leadership, lack of opportunities for anyone who's not a nurse, lack of support in getting anything done that's not specifically on a leader's incentive plan. Although they are in "leadership" positions, I met very few executive who would fit any criteria of "leader".

Well, my advice to middle management is get what you want out of your experience and use it to get to a better organization at a higher level. My advice to upper management is pocket the higher than average paychecks because at some point you will become the fall guy/gal for the CEO and EVPs, who take no blame and are not held accountable to any standards by the Board. For anyone considering this organization in the future, ask about plans for cost cutting, because it will likely involve you if you're not at the EVP level. VPs get switched out on a regular basis every 2 years. Senior Directors are pretty stable, but not high performers - you have to adapt to the dysfunction of the uppermost levels to survive, so everyone acts like a scalded dog.

Great employees but management level needs lots of improvement

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PTO plan is attractive, employees in some groups work well together and hospital mission of "Making Life Better for Children" motivates you to go to work everyday.

Cons

Management is disconnected to department in some areas and don't really work as a cohesive group.

Worked for Children's Medical Center of Dallas? Contribute to the Community!