Children's Medical Center of Dallas

Children's Medical Center of Dallas Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Children's Medical Center of Dallas President and CEO Christopher J. Durovich

Christopher J. Durovich

Pros:
  • "Great mission and good overall place to work"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The mission, "Making life better for children"
    in 2 reviews
Cons:
  • "I honestly don't know whether the senior leadership really knows what is happening in Children's IS"
    in 6 reviews
  • "It is an extremely political environment and promotions are granted because of politics, not based on performance, expertise, or ability"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Horrible as an employer. Saw many employees unfairly fired that had tenure. Many employees were not listened to.

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat clinical service. Benefits as a patient are wonderful.

ConsHorrible for employees. Fired if you try to voice your opinion or ask to be heard. Senior management is in their own salaried world. Too many chief for one business. If you are listened to-nothing will be done about you being harassed or treated unfairly.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo much favoritism, unfairness. Saw chaos in every department due to senior management not listening or proactively following up on employee concerns. Way too many Directors!!! There is a Director for a Director. What a waste of money! You need to look at Toyota's management system.

Political, Incompetent, Inefficient

Corporate Services (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for less than a year

ProsThe clinical operation is outstanding and they serve the children in North Texas well. Solid reputation within community

ConsIt is a nightmare to work here. I have never witnessed so much incompetence, political positioning, backstabbing, and inefficient behavior. Everyone is looking out for their best interest, no one is helping one another, senior leadership has favorites and it impacts the entire organization because if your department's leader is not one of them, your entire team is blacklisted. I wish I would have listened to people's warning before I took this job

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow middle management to work together. Forcing staff to go through the chain of command discourages proactiveness because it is impossible to get anything through, especially if two VPs are at odds. Provide ongoing and constructive feedback. I have witnessed handfuls of people get fired without any opportunity to improve. Provide an outlet for employees to provide feedback, I have experienced staff do things that greatly hurt the organization's reputation, effectiveness and bottom line, but I do not feel safe bringing this to anyone's attention because of the hostile, political environment, I do not know who I can trust.

Making life better for Executives and VP's, not children!

Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCo-workers..great clinical staff, the people "really" making life better for children.

ConsNo opportunity for clinical professional development. Children's is a marketing machine...the marketing department is top notch! With that being said, it's all talk with no substance. I honestly don't know what all the directors, vice presidents and executives are paid to do..hire outside consulting firms to tell them what to do??

A lot of top notch staff were let go recently, yet the propaganda machine continues to promote that we are always looking to recruit and retain the best. It's just lip service.

Not for profit??..have you seen the amount of money being spent on facilities and the numerous new management and VP positions? Sure the hospital doesn't pay out profits to share holders..but that doesn't mean we aren't making a substantial profit.

Sadly...the hospital is being run just like the rest of corporate america.

No oversight of physicians.

Priority is on Children's "image" not clinical outcomes.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the purple palace and learn what's going on in the hospital..senior leadership only tells you what you want hear. It's all smoke in mirrors. And stop with all the latest "MBA/MHA" trends!

Stop with the "Do better with less" mantra..this only infuriates front line staff when all we see is more and more spending on the facilities and hiring of VPs.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible company with poor leaders

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is fair at this hospital compared to other places I have worked.

ConsFavoritism with hiring relatives or friends to replace long term workers, racism, no voice in decisions and leaders who make decisions that go unchecked by Vice Presidents. The CEO has no clue. Too many good employees find jobs elsewhere or are driven out of the hospital, most recently in HR and IT. The hospital has a program they call Just Culture but this is an Unjust Culture. This hospital has over 20 Vice Presidents (and adding more) but eliminates the jobs of lower payed employees everyday. Most employees are unhappy and are looking for jobs elsewhere. Those that stay, stay for one reason, the children. The only way things will change at this hospital is for the senior leaders to become aware of the injustices done to some of its best employees and do something about it. Knowing this is not going to happen, the next best thing for this hospital would be to elect a Union.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake leadership changes. Quit firing our best employees.

Depends on where you work in the company

Manager (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people. There are still some good people at Children's but they are falling fast.

ConsSenior Management doesn't have a clue. They are in it strictly for the 'big bucks'

Great experience!

Social Worker (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas as an intern for more than a year

ProsFast pace, meaningful work! I really enjoyed the work here and believe it is a good place to start your career.

ConsI don't have much to say here, but disorganization occurred sometimes and caused some disrupt but nothing concerning

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Administrator

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 3 years

ProsModern facilities, great corporate learning function (although it is slowly being gutted), front line staff are smart and committed to the mission. Money is there to fund your dreams, if you are connected to the right people.

ConsAnything coming out of the Purple Palace - senior leadership is lots of words and no action. Would rather pay people to blame than actually get their hands dirty doing the real, difficult work. Values are given lip-service by leadership but not at all lived. Top management distracted by fads and trends versus focusing on fundamentals (we went through a 'Just Cultre', Service Excellence, Lean/Six Sigma, Anti-Hoizontal Violence, Work Outs, Studer Group and another packaged consulting group improvement overhaul just in the three years I was there). Lots of favoritism and the people who are actually making life better for children frequently get overlooked. Very little career development once you are in the door and a high-churn makes it hard to find a mentor a/o consistent work group.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front line staff, not just the people who are telling you what you want to hear. The organization is top heavy.

Has been a good IT job but in the past year has gone downhill fast

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe mission, "Making life better for children…" is what has kept me here. Additionally, there are still remnants of family and understanding in the IT organization. Pay is relatively commiserate with the rest of the industry in the Dallas area.

Cons1. The hospital recently went through a Office Space like downsizing. This downsizing had little to do with money and everything to do with aligning with what another company stated was the norm. This other company was a company that were "experts" in helping companies tighten their belts. The belt was tighten so much Children's is turning purple.
2. Information technology management has changed drastically. There have been many changes in the past couple of years that have introduced a sophomoric director with a fat wallet.
3. A requirement of a Children's employee is that we are good stewards of Children's resources. This includes equipment, fixtures but also includes money the hospital brings in. This point goes along with point 2 is that some IS Management are not good stewards of the money that is given to them.
4. Many IS employees burn out so quickly because of the lack of work-life balance. The only way you will survive here at Children's is if you force the work-life balance. That can make you feel uneasy about your job as you may be seen as not getting your job done.
5. The sophomoric IS director mentioned in #2, partakes in the buddy system a little too much. This is not only in the hiring of his friends in to manager positions, but also in the companies Children's has worked with for a long time. I have seen three of my vendor companies slowly disappear as they realize it is not worth their time here anymore. In their place, an equally incompetant band of baboons, similar to the technical fraternity.

I honestly don't know whether the senior leadership really knows what is happening in Children's IS. I do not think it is a fault of anyone but the directors and managers at the IS level. The CIO at Children's is a good leader but I think she trusts her direct reports way too much.

Advice to Senior Management1. There is a reason why most directors are in their 40s and up.
2. The buddy system doesn't work well in a corporate job. Can't wait to see what happens when the fraternity has their first fight.
3. Directors and other management should be held to similar behavioral guidelines as employees are.
4. Ask for your money back from Huron. All you did was get rid of a lot of good people both in lay offs and in attrition from your poor judgement. You will need the money to hire them back or get good qualified people back.

Used to be a good place. Not anymore. racism & favoritismin is obvious everywhere

Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexibility to work from home

Consfavoritism is obvious anywhere you go in the hospital

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the middle and upper management completely

Solid, reliable employer, but with limited opportunities for career growth. Managers and directors are very good.

Data Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Medical Center of Dallas full-time for more than 5 years

Proscoworkers, commitment to care, research opportunities

Conslimited opportunities for career growth

Worked for Children's Medical Center of Dallas? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Medical Center of Dallas reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Medical Center of Dallas CEO Christopher J. Durovich. All 53 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Medical Center of Dallas employees.