Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics
www.childrensmercy.org Kansas City, MO 1000 to 5000 Employees

Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Reviews

Updated Mar 31, 2014
Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics – Kansas City – “Front Entrance”

Randall L. O'Donnell

Working for the laboratory at this hospital was a nightmare

Laboratory (Former Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNONE. There are 0 pros to working for this Hospital's Laboratory.

ConsIn terms of the Laboratory at Children's Mercy, add 1 hour on to your day to ride a shuttle bus to and from your car, take 15 minutes out of your break time just to walk to the cafeteria, and every time you need to use a restroom wait at 30 minutes and fight off at least 5 co workers for a place to have a waz. This facility has the worst laboratory I have ever seen, because of its design and because of the monstrous people working in it. On top of poor design, there are too many PHDs MDs and Managers at this lab and not enough people actually doing productive work, especially in "core lab" hematology and chemistry departments. I have never seen such an intense concentration of workplace sharks in my life. There are too many foreign born people working for this laboratory and many of them have not assimilated to US culture and/or they are the type of people who view their cultural heritage as superior to that of natural born American citizens. This is an extremely hard place to make friends and approach management about anything for fear of offending someone of a particular "demographic." I would not work for this lab if they paid me a million dollars an hour, I would not recommend my worst enemy work for this lab, and I would certainly not recommend anybody have any business transactions with this lab or any other lab which perpetuates workplace misery on such an inconceivable level.

Advice to Senior ManagementCLOSE THIS LAB NOW! And outsource all your lab work to Labcorp or Quest or any other accredited reference lab, these corporate businesses do it better andmore professionally than all of the staff at CMH labs COMBINED, and for a cheaper price too.

The staff working here believe in the Children's Mercy Mission, upper management, the board of directors and CEO do not.

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat coworkers. PTO program is pretty good.

ConsThe CEO of this hospital made 6million dollars in 2011. He is the top paid CEO of any children's hospital. The staff working here do it for less pay than other hospitals in the region because if you want to work with kids, it's the place to be. We are told there is not room in the budget for more FTEs and not room in the budget for a cost of living adjustment. Upper management does not care about the employees. You will just be a number. It wasn't always this way. They will tell you to just be thankful that you have a job and that you can easily be replaced with a new grad. I would like to see what their patient satisfaction surveys would say if they only had inexperienced nurses.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your beliefs. Remember why you started working here in the first place. Think of what Dr. Alice Berry Graham and Dr. Katharine Berry Richardson would think of Children's Mercy today.

Not a best place to work

Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe mission of serving the children of the region.

ConsThe leadership promotes bullies and the focus is no longer on the mission.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost your way. The level of care is suboptimal.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fairly good experience, just VERY poor communication between departments, management, etc..

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

ProsFeeling of satisfaction in helping children in need.

ConsLower pay than other hospitals. Poor communication within the hospital.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the staff know what is going on so we don't sound stupid infront of our parents and patients. They trust us to know the process. The whole hospital needs to work on their customer service skills and phone manners. Parent's shouldn't have to go through the nurse advise line just to make an appt in the clinic, it's very inconvenient for them.

Lots of promises that never materailize

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

ProsHelping children who can't help themselves

ConsVery pronounced differences between departments. Nursing make demands but don't follow their own rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being unfair in your hiring practices.

Employees are undervalued. Part of your compensation is supposed to be feeling good about where you work.

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

ProsWell respected institution in the community.
Working for the good of children.
Tuition pre-payment for school, Avila Advantage on campus program.

ConsYou're expected to consider yourself lucky to work at such a well-respected institution.
Absolutely no chance of moving up from within. You must leave and then return in order to get a promotion of any type despite any education you gain.
I've worked here for 10 years and am finishing up my MBA. Members of my class have said they were actually told by HR that the education we gained while employed here is worthless in our application for promoted positions. They would consider someone from outside the institution before someone from within.
Major difference in viewpoints of people who have been here less than 5 years and those who've been here over 5 years. 5 years seems to be the point at which you are exposed to the rotten, ugly underbelly that is the good ol' boys political network of CMH. The happy, glossy facade hides an ugly, horrible, political minefield. Welcome to hell my friends.
Advice to those who want to work here: get in, get your education, get out within 5 years...period.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate plans for people to grow professionally and to be promoted or keep watching good, talented people who share your vision and culture walk out the door to better opportunities.

Working experience with Children's mercy

Research Scientist (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time for more than a year

ProsEnvironment, Collaborative work, Supportive team

ConsLow salary, Slow growth, funding for research is low

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease salaries and promote career growth oppurtunities

Overall a good work environment and caring nurses. They just don"t pay well

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

ProsGreat staff and awesome food. The hospital has a wonderful feel!

ConsThe pay rate is awful, especially if you are an RN or APRN.

5 yrs

Care Assistant (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO

ProsComraderie with my co workers,

ConsManagement lacks foresight, cut almost all employee perks.

Decent company but low wages

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

ProsMake a difference in the community

ConsLow salary, very little input in management

Worked for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics CEO Randall L. O'Donnell. All 34 reviews posted anonymously by Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics employees.