Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
4.0

Randall L. O'Donnell

Working for the laboratory at this hospital was a nightmare

Former Employee - Laboratory in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Laboratory in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NONE. There are 0 pros to working for this Hospital's Laboratory.

Cons

In terms of the Laboratory at Children's Mercy, add 1 hour on to your day to ride a shuttle bus to and from your car, take 15 minutes out of your break time just to walk to the cafeteria, and every time you need to use a restroom wait at 30 minutes and fight off at least 5 co workers for a place to have a waz. This facility has the worst laboratory I have ever seen, because of its design and because of the monstrous people working in it. On top of poor design, there are too many PHDs MDs and Managers at this lab and not enough people actually doing productive work, especially in "core lab" hematology and chemistry departments. I have never seen such an intense concentration of workplace sharks in my life. There are too many foreign born people working for this laboratory and many of them have not assimilated to US culture and/or they are the type of people who view their cultural heritage as superior to that of natural born American citizens. This is an extremely hard place to make friends and approach management about anything for fear of offending someone of a particular "demographic." I would not work for this lab if they paid me a million dollars an hour, I would not recommend my worst enemy work for this lab, and I would certainly not recommend anybody have any business transactions with this lab or any other lab which perpetuates workplace misery on such an inconceivable level.

CLOSE THIS LAB NOW! And outsource all your lab work to Labcorp or Quest or any other accredited reference lab, these corporate businesses do it better andmore professionally than all of the staff at CMH labs COMBINED, and for a cheaper price too.

Great place to take your child, less great to work there.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Taking care of kids and awesome coworkers

Cons

Low salary.
    No voice.
    No career growth.
    Upper and even middle-management does not care about their employees....but employees are supposed to be thrilled to work for them!

Your employees aren't stupid.

Not a best place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of serving the children of the region.

Cons

The leadership promotes bullies and the focus is no longer on the mission.

You have lost your way. The level of care is suboptimal.

fairly good experience, just VERY poor communication between departments, management, etc..

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

Feeling of satisfaction in helping children in need.

Cons

Lower pay than other hospitals. Poor communication within the hospital.

Let the staff know what is going on so we don't sound stupid infront of our parents and patients. They trust us to know the process. The whole hospital needs to work on their customer service skills and phone manners. Parent's shouldn't have to go through the nurse advise line just to make an appt in the clinic, it's very inconvenient for them.

Lots of promises that never materailize

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

Helping children who can't help themselves

Cons

Very pronounced differences between departments. Nursing make demands but don't follow their own rules.

Stop being unfair in your hiring practices.

Employees are undervalued. Part of your compensation is supposed to be feeling good about where you work.

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

Well respected institution in the community.
    Working for the good of children.
    Tuition pre-payment for school, Avila Advantage on campus program.

Cons

You're expected to consider yourself lucky to work at such a well-respected institution.
    Absolutely no chance of moving up from within. You must leave and then return in order to get a promotion of any type despite any education you gain.
    I've worked here for 10 years and am finishing up my MBA. Members of my class have said they were actually told by HR that the education we gained while employed here is worthless in our application for promoted positions. They would consider someone from outside the institution before someone from within.
    Major difference in viewpoints of people who have been here less than 5 years and those who've been here over 5 years. 5 years seems to be the point at which you are exposed to the rotten, ugly underbelly that is the good ol' boys political network of CMH. The happy, glossy facade hides an ugly, horrible, political minefield. Welcome to hell my friends.
    Advice to those who want to work here: get in, get your education, get out within 5 years...period.

Create plans for people to grow professionally and to be promoted or keep watching good, talented people who share your vision and culture walk out the door to better opportunities.

Great learning environment, not so great management or pay.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Clinic in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Clinic in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

The opportunity to build or expand your pediatric nursing knowledge is high. You will get to work with a variety of patient populations and diagnoses. There are some truly passionate nurses, nurse practitioners and physicians which are inspiring. If you are returning to school or working towards a nursing degree, management will support and accommodate your schedule as much as possible.

Cons

Management at certain clinics is very poor. There is favoritism and a substantial lack of communication from management to staff. Changes are often in the works, for months at a time, but staff is rarely informed. Employee reviews lack objectivity and professionalism.
    The pay is also inconsistent with the amount of work that is required.
    The nurse practitioners are not treated as well as the physicians. For example, at one location the NPs have to share an office but the physicians each get their own yet they both see/treat the same amount of patients.

Improve communication. Make all managers, regardless of experience attend workshops on communicating effectively and objectively. In addition, perform regular assessments of each manager that include interviewing of at least 5 staff members.

Pay staff competitive rates that match their job duties.

Provide NPs with their own office and treat them with the same respect and dignity as the physicians.

Intensive Care Nursery

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The nursing staff in this unit are truly wonderful to each other, as you often don't have to ask for help, others volunteer it. The nurse practitioners, residents/fellows, and attending physician are a pleasure to work with and encourage nursing staff input. The pay is better than other areas due to the critical care differential (10%). Great tuition assistance program for continuing education.

Cons

This unit is currently in a staffing crisis, with many changes being made to employee schedules. Management is currently blocking transfers out of unit, so you must be able to endure until the crisis ends, or leave the hospital. A lot of jumping through hoops is done with little to no recognition. Very much a continuation of the college sorority experience with the usual cliques and unfortunate gossip.

Acknowledge and reward staff achievement. Spend time in the unit to "walk in our shoes". Resolve staffing crisis.

Working experience with Children's mercy

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Environment, Collaborative work, Supportive team

Cons

Low salary, Slow growth, funding for research is low

Increase salaries and promote career growth oppurtunities

Overall a good work environment and caring nurses. They just don"t pay well

I worked at Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics

Pros

Great staff and awesome food. The hospital has a wonderful feel!

Cons

The pay rate is awful, especially if you are an RN or APRN.

Children's Mercy Hospitals and Clinics Photos

Front Entrance
The main entrance to the hospital

+ Add Photo