Children's National Health System

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015

Children's National Health System President & CEO Kurt Newman
Kurt Newman

Pros
  • Great place to improve your learning curve (in 3 reviews)

• Strong leadership, forward thinking, lots of opportunities for personal/professional growth and development (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover in management (so they rely on the rumors from bullies, aimed (in 4 reviews)

• The employees are given few rights other than the right to sneak and rat (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

CNMC is a farce. Focus is public image not employee satisfaction. "Do more with less" should be the motto.

Current Employee - Apn in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Apn in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working alongside experts in the field. Good academic opportunities. Culturally diverse populations and many outlying satellite locations.

Cons

This place is all about marketing. Employee satisfaction is not important. Making money is the bottom line and everyone is unhappy. This institution is poorly managed. Morale is low. Don't think about growing financially here. Your starting salary may entice you but that's where you stay forever unless you are in a union. The APNs have foolishly voted the union out and are now stagnant in pay for most departments.
    Bullying and discrimination by management is not handled properly.
    Systems in place are completely disorganized.

Address the disorganization, focus on employee satisfaction, adjust pay rates fairly. Public image will not matter if the infrastructure is crumbling.

Good place; however, could be better.

I have been working at Children's National Health System

Pros

Good RN pay, fun, friendly environment.

Cons

No appreciation by executive leadership. VERY high turnover. Cuts on resources and leadership positions. Seemed as if they had no concern for nurses. Our comments and suggestions seemed disregarded.

Great hospital, difficult management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time

Pros

Overall friendly culture, smart staff, nice facilities

Cons

Unnecessarily combative manager who excels at negative feedback and neglects positive feedback for hard workers, all the expected stresses that come with this field, HR is currently understaffed and mistake-prone

Recognize the hard work done, use mistakes as opportunities to learn and not opportunities to keep people down, insecure, and subservient (which doesn't work)

CNMC

I have been working at Children's National Health System

Pros

Strong leadership, forward thinking, lots of opportunities for personal/professional growth and development.

Cons

Work-Life balance, pressure on those who are accountable.

Close to 14 years in a variety of direct patient care and management positions.

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by dedicate people who love children and are dedicated to the work. As a RN, the pay is among the highest in the area. I was also paid very well in my management positions. There were opportunities to promote within management.

Cons

The benefits are mediocre. The last two years it became harder to work with different departments to get work done. There becomes layers of bureaucracy that was inefficient and dysfunctional.

Review the benefits package. Restructure the research and finance department as well as human resources. There are plenty of management people, but very few people to actually do the day to day work.

Toxic Atmosphere, with lots of bullying & homophobic slurs

Former Employee - Animal Caretaker in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Animal Caretaker in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, Benefits are a little overpriced but good coverage, received yearly Xmas bonus,

Cons

No room for growth, management & supervisor was the absolute worse, staff & management was completely unprofessional, ie Homophobic slurs, bad language, laziness, facility is filthy, all kinds of airborne pathogens, no real concern for the well being of the patients , the director of the Department was one of the worst people I have encountered, she sexually harassed, embarrassed, and slandered my name and reputation lied on me for 2 years, & HR was absolutely no help, in fact when I approached Hr about the situation, the representative actually laughed at some of the claims, numerous employees wrote letters to HR about their positive interaction with me, & how professional they thought I was, many even went as far as to say I was the best employee in the department, & that they probably could not achieve success without my help, this seem to upset HR even more & HR also forwarded all the confidential emails to my director making the situation not only more uncomfortable but now uncomfortable for the people supportive of me. Working hard and being professional in this department will only draw criticism and ridiculing, my superior went as far as to call me a butt kisser in the middle of a department meeting, if you are not willing to discuss your personal life or the personal life of others, (especially listening to Management talk about their issues with their boy friend) you will be accused of LOWERING THE MORAL of the department,( THAT'S THE COMPANY'S BUZZ WORD ANYTIME THEY CANT COME UP WITH A REAL LEGITIMATE REASON TO WRITE YOU UP OR FIRE YOU),

Clean house, starting at the top!!!!!

Stepping stone for career development

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-In constant contact with several physicians who would assist in getting into medical school, recommendations, advice, etc.
    -Friendly colleagues allows for better communication, accountability and streamlined workflows. Everyone seems to try helping others, which is usually received positively and promotes ownership.

Cons

-Commute is TERRIBLE!
    -Pay is terrible but took the job for connections. Again, a good stepping stone on to bigger and better things.
    -There is little feedback from supervisors, and when there is, its both unhelpful and accusatory.

Management needs to lead by example. The "do as I say, not as I do" mentality is not conducive to a happy work environment. Be able to provide examples of how employees can improve and don't just accuse people of wrongdoing without examples; they may not know its wrong.
    KNOW HOW
    I will say the team I work with is very supportive of each other; I know of others who did not have a supportive team, therefore, a more negative experience.

Utopia

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time

Pros

Whether your an employee, patient or visitor you'll notice that there is no other care facility that can offer the uplifting and caring environment that Children's National offers. It's like going into a community where every is nice to one another and always puts the patient first to give the best care and make the environment as welcoming as possible.

Cons

driving in the area can have it's challenges, like most inner city locations

remember that nothing is more important than the patient and the clinicians that are in direct contact or management of those patients. If those individuals are placed first, everything else will fall into to place

Not what it could be

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many except the kids. The kids make it worth it.

Cons

Well there are a lot of cons. There is a disconnect between management and front line workers. The IT infrastructure is old and restrictive. People are not appreciated if they are creative. Managers are crawling all over themselves to make themselves look good.

Hire from outside the institution. Hire people who have the requisite skills for the position. Then hold them accountable if they don't do a good job. It's pretty simple.

Rewarding Place to Work

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Children's National is such a refreshing breath of air. The mission and values of our work provides a culture in which employees are passionate about their work and work together as a team to better meet the needs of our patients and their families. Management cares about your development, advancement, and professional growth and is often discussed. It's also so nice to work for an organization that values work-life balance and then actually helps you achieve it!

Cons

I think Human Resource could make improvements to the benefits packages at Children's National.

Children's National Health System Photos