Children's National Health System

Updated November 5, 2014
Updated November 5, 2014

Children's National Health System President & CEO Kurt Newman
Kurt Newman

Pros
  • Great place to improve your learning curve (in 3 reviews)

• Management cares about your development, advancement, and professional growth and is often discussed (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • High turnover in management (so they rely on the rumors from bullies, aimed (in 4 reviews)

• The employees are given few rights other than the right to sneak and rat (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great hospital, difficult management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time

Pros

Overall friendly culture, smart staff, nice facilities

Cons

Unnecessarily combative manager who excels at negative feedback and neglects positive feedback for hard workers, all the expected stresses that come with this field, HR is currently understaffed and mistake-prone

Recognize the hard work done, use mistakes as opportunities to learn and not opportunities to keep people down, insecure, and subservient (which doesn't work)

Overall, great place, but there's room for improvement.

Current Employee - Staff Assistant/Board Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant/Board Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employees within departments work as teams.

Cons

Employees across different departments don't necessarily work as a team.

Continue pushing employees to be proactive with each other, in addition to with patients. For example, if you know a co-worker is about to make a mistake, be proactive and say something to them.

CNMC is a farce. Focus is public image not employee satisfaction. "Do more with less" should be the motto.

Current Employee - Apn in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Apn in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working alongside experts in the field. Good academic opportunities. Culturally diverse populations and many outlying satellite locations.

Cons

This place is all about marketing. Employee satisfaction is not important. Making money is the bottom line and everyone is unhappy. This institution is poorly managed. Morale is low. Don't think about growing financially here. Your starting salary may entice you but that's where you stay forever unless you are in a union. The APNs have foolishly voted the union out and are now stagnant in pay for most departments.
    Bullying and discrimination by management is not handled properly.
    Systems in place are completely disorganized.

Address the disorganization, focus on employee satisfaction, adjust pay rates fairly. Public image will not matter if the infrastructure is crumbling.

Stepping stone for career development

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-In constant contact with several physicians who would assist in getting into medical school, recommendations, advice, etc.
    -Friendly colleagues allows for better communication, accountability and streamlined workflows. Everyone seems to try helping others, which is usually received positively and promotes ownership.

Cons

-Commute is TERRIBLE!
    -Pay is terrible but took the job for connections. Again, a good stepping stone on to bigger and better things.
    -There is little feedback from supervisors, and when there is, its both unhelpful and accusatory.

Management needs to lead by example. The "do as I say, not as I do" mentality is not conducive to a happy work environment. Be able to provide examples of how employees can improve and don't just accuse people of wrongdoing without examples; they may not know its wrong.
    KNOW HOW
    I will say the team I work with is very supportive of each other; I know of others who did not have a supportive team, therefore, a more negative experience.

Close to 14 years in a variety of direct patient care and management positions.

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Surrounded by dedicate people who love children and are dedicated to the work. As a RN, the pay is among the highest in the area. I was also paid very well in my management positions. There were opportunities to promote within management.

Cons

The benefits are mediocre. The last two years it became harder to work with different departments to get work done. There becomes layers of bureaucracy that was inefficient and dysfunctional.

Review the benefits package. Restructure the research and finance department as well as human resources. There are plenty of management people, but very few people to actually do the day to day work.

Toxic Atmosphere, with lots of bullying & homophobic slurs

Former Employee - Animal Caretaker in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Animal Caretaker in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, Benefits are a little overpriced but good coverage, received yearly Xmas bonus,

Cons

No room for growth, management & supervisor was the absolute worse, staff & management was completely unprofessional, ie Homophobic slurs, bad language, laziness, facility is filthy, all kinds of airborne pathogens, no real concern for the well being of the patients , the director of the Department was one of the worst people I have encountered, she sexually harassed, embarrassed, and slandered my name and reputation lied on me for 2 years, & HR was absolutely no help, in fact when I approached Hr about the situation, the representative actually laughed at some of the claims, numerous employees wrote letters to HR about their positive interaction with me, & how professional they thought I was, many even went as far as to say I was the best employee in the department, & that they probably could not achieve success without my help, this seem to upset HR even more & HR also forwarded all the confidential emails to my director making the situation not only more uncomfortable but now uncomfortable for the people supportive of me. Working hard and being professional in this department will only draw criticism and ridiculing, my superior went as far as to call me a butt kisser in the middle of a department meeting, if you are not willing to discuss your personal life or the personal life of others, (especially listening to Management talk about their issues with their boy friend) you will be accused of LOWERING THE MORAL of the department,( THAT'S THE COMPANY'S BUZZ WORD ANYTIME THEY CANT COME UP WITH A REAL LEGITIMATE REASON TO WRITE YOU UP OR FIRE YOU),

Clean house, starting at the top!!!!!

Not what it could be

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many except the kids. The kids make it worth it.

Cons

Well there are a lot of cons. There is a disconnect between management and front line workers. The IT infrastructure is old and restrictive. People are not appreciated if they are creative. Managers are crawling all over themselves to make themselves look good.

Hire from outside the institution. Hire people who have the requisite skills for the position. Then hold them accountable if they don't do a good job. It's pretty simple.

Good luck with that

Former Employee - Attending Physician in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Attending Physician in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunity to help children in need, improve care of patients and employees

Cons

The culture is abysmal. Too many managers moved in charge of areas that they have no idea what they are doing. But are afraid someone will find out. So they micromanage. And gossip. And bully. And survive and thrive.
    The infrastructure is poor. The support is poor. If something needs to get done, it has to be done by oneself. But then expect criticism that one is not a team player and working in a silo. Has twice the number of employees for similar size institutions. Incredible and ridiculous bureaucracy established by legal/compliance. Yet this is the least clinically compliant hospital ever experienced by numerous individuals who came from other institutions.

Get a clue. Figure out who is being honest with you.
    Don't put incompetent people over competent people. That is a sure way to never learn or improve.

Rewarding Place to Work

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Children's National is such a refreshing breath of air. The mission and values of our work provides a culture in which employees are passionate about their work and work together as a team to better meet the needs of our patients and their families. Management cares about your development, advancement, and professional growth and is often discussed. It's also so nice to work for an organization that values work-life balance and then actually helps you achieve it!

Cons

I think Human Resource could make improvements to the benefits packages at Children's National.

Excellent experiences as Clinical Research Coordinator

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Children's National Health System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people and upper management really seem to care. There are so many opportunities for amazing free educational classes, research collaborations, and volunteer experiences. You just have to figure out where they are. Ask around.

Cons

The HR department was terrible for a long time. So many simple mistakes and delay of paperwork. I hope they have it figured out

Keep interacting with the everyday nurses, coordinators, and staff.

Children's National Health System Photos