Childtime Learning Center

Updated August 19, 2014

2.7

Childtime Learning Center CEO Barbara J. Beck
Barbara J. Beck

Great experience with the kids, frustration with the organization

Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher  in  Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Toddler Teacher in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Everyone starts part-time and within 6 months I was made full-time with a typically steady schedule. The kids are why I stay here--I have full creative license with my classroom, get to create supplemental curriculum and activities and build rewarding relationships with babies and their families. I feel like I am helping and molding young minds. The center is kept up pretty well: clean, caring and focused on providing children quality education and experiences. Paperwork is required, but usually a small amount of prep time and nap time makes it manageable. Parent-Teacher Conferences twice a year, and monthly parent events are a good opportunity for building relationships. Management encourages teachers to design a stimulating classroom environment which is fun.

Cons

Low pay and unorganized management leads to high part-time teacher turnover. When teachers leave on short notice the remaining staff is expected to pick up the slack (no time granted off, overtime, extra paperwork, etc.). Lack of communication means that I have to learn most of my important information by listening in to other people's conversations. They have "forgotten" to tell me that my hours were adjusted/conferences rescheduled for times when I am not usually there. Lots of gossip among the all female staff and management. New supplies for the classroom are limited and often I have to buy my own supplies if I want them. Benefits aren't really worth it--I don't use any of them.

Communicate with staff...write us notes, call us, ask us if you already talked to us about something. Make sure we know what's going on so we don't look blindsided when a parent approaches us about something we "should" have known about. Offer more full-time positions, higher pay and raises as incentives for employees to stay and build stable programs and better bonds with the children.

Unfair

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

The kids and the parents are so nice. The fast paced environment.

Cons

Schedule, there's never a set schedule. I get three hour breaks somedays because they don't want to hire new people to help me with my room, and I can't go over 40 hours so they send me on a break a total of 15 hours weekly. You are basically asked to bend backwards for the company but no days off or sick days are guaranteed. They always end up asking you to come in and if you don't then they punish you without a break, so working 11 hour days with no break whatsoever. Communication lacks. They fail to please their employees with something as simple as a potty break, you literally have to beg to use the restroom or nobody will show up to take over your class. They will make up their own rules on the regular so if you have any doubts look up the handbook or your state laws. Their ratios always change and it always ends up being some crazy odd number that they pulled out of nowhere. I could go on forever with cons.

No favoritism. Be fair. Appreciation is needed.

Enjoyed being my own lead teacher in the room by myself

Former Employee - Lead Teacher  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Akron, OH

I worked at Childtime Learning Center full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Liked the family clientele and demographics, Very close to home.

Cons

Low pay increases over the years. Whatever the Director says, goes, even if totally wrong. A lot of time required off the clock to do job properly and effeciently. Extremely little verbal praise or "Hey, you did good on that",etc. Very, very hard to get time off needed for Dr.s appointments, etc. A LOT of black out time for days off and vacations.

Some simple common courtesy can go a long, long way for positive moral.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK company to work for

I worked at Childtime Learning Center

Pros

Working with kids and being about to interact with the parents about the learning progress of the children was a good experience.

Cons

The director talked negatively about other employees in front of me which made it a difficult environment in which to work.

A great place to work but...

Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher/Team Lead  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Lead Preschool Teacher/Team Lead in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get off early, breaks, breakfast and lunch provided, nice and helpful staff.

Cons

The only con I have is the fact that when I accepted the job I was told I would work 12:00-6:30 however when I arrived for orientation I was told I would work 7-7-4 which is a drastic change. I feel that I was tricked into accepting the job. I was guaranteed the 12pm shift because they needed a person at that time only to find out that wasn't true. I'm working out my schedule with the general manager right now so I can get back in school. The pay is also very low for a person with a bachelor's.

Tell the truth about what hours you need your staff to have. Offer competitive salaries.

I thought after high school, I was leaving the gossip-filled, female cliques. But I did until working at Childtime.

Former Employee - Classroom Assistant
    Former Employee - Classroom Assistant

I worked at Childtime Learning Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

convenient locations, the small number of fellow employees that are respectful, helpful and enjoyable to spend the day working with one another

Cons

unprofessional staff and standards; favoritism and its unequal treatment from such; low pay even with degree; low expectations of maintaining hygienic conditions; inadequate curriculum for children's developmental needs and learning

maintain professional relationships with all employees; improve the hostile and uncomfortable atmosphere between employees; district manager and higher ups need to be more responsible in monitoring the individual locations and their standards

Unique place to work

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher in Gaithersburg, MD

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great parents, and some very competent staff.

Cons

Low pay, no set schedules. Some days you work 5 hours and others 9 or more. Teachers are not treated with respect.

Better pay. Planning time for teachers. Consistent policies for staff. favoritism for a few staff is very obvious. Treating teachers as professionals and not just babysitters, especially for degreed teachers.

Childcare

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center

Pros

The love and care of young children.

Cons

The salary and the benefits

Micromanaging is always a problem

It was a real learning experience.

Former Employee - Toddler I Teacher  in  Federal Way, WA
    Former Employee - Toddler I Teacher in Federal Way, WA

I worked at Childtime Learning Center full-time for less than a year

Pros

The co-workers are nice and easy to get along with. The classrooms are decent and easy to work in.

Cons

the management is hard to work for and expected too much from the employees.

My experience here was excellent!

I worked at Childtime Learning Center part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Management, working with children, fun place to grow professionally

Cons

no lunch breaks, gossip, late nights, early mornings

Cut down on the gossip and favoritism

Worked for Childtime Learning Center? Contribute to the Community!