Childtime Learning Center Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
30 reviews filtered by
Childtime Learning Center CEO Barbara J. Beck
Barbara J. Beck

1. This is a very structured company. They are Very profession and care about their employees.

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They work hard to create a family friendly atmosphere for all.

Cons

Could be a little more culturally sensitive

2. The experience of developing relationships with children and families is like no other.

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Bedford, OH
    Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Bedford, OH

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center

Pros

Growing bonds with the many families and children you'll encounter and seeing their love and excitement for coming to school everyday because of what you contribute.

Cons

Management is absolutely terrible. Daily scheduling was unorganized, too unpredictable and didn't allow for a good work-life balance. Going to an appointment, or taking a day off is a hassle. Ratio is off on a daily basis. There were already too many children and not enough teachers, but management continues to enroll regardless.

Keep a closer eye on your directors and talk to staff because many times their voices go unheard. Take a look at the rosters and how many employees are employed at the center, because you would be shocked to see the number of children in a classroom when there is only one teacher with no too many children for someone to step over and help.

3. Horrible

Former Employee - Lead School Age Teacher in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Lead School Age Teacher in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Childtime Learning Center

Pros

Working with kids was the only good thing about this job

Cons

There was a new director every month

Get it together

Unethical Practices by Company

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No one should enter child care expecting the work to be easy. Childtime employed me as an Assistant Infant Careteacher, where I cared for babies ages 3 months to 1 year at a state-mandated 1:4 infant to teacher ratio. I truly enjoyed working with the little ones and fellow teachers. I experienced constant illness and stress that stemmed not from Childtime but the nature of working with eight babies each workday. Any job where you handle feces and vomit each day is not for the faint of heart, as cute as the children are. I witnessed first steps and first words, though, something I will never forget.

Cons

Where to begin? The Childtime branch were I worked automatically clocked its employees out at 6:00 PM, even though we often had to stay until 6:15-6:30 PM. This is illegal, and I wish I had been more assertive about my unpaid work hours.

Corporate came up with lots of feel-good fixes for our classroom, including a cute curriculum, peer review, and off-the-wall regulations like only allowing one exersaucer toy per room. My branch would actually hide our extra exersaucer during corporate inspections, since we desperately needed it to keep our 8 babies happy and safe from the others. Ultimately, they employed a top down approach to management that neither engaged the workers nor eased their workload. Their regulations only made our lives more stressful. Who has time to lead babies in an arts and crafts project when half of them are screaming their lungs off because they're hungry or tired?

The job quickly became scary when we had to keep highly active, bored one-year-olds in our room instead of the Infant 2 room. We had very little time for social interaction, touch, and play for the babies. Our lives were just about meeting their physical needs, sneaking in affection when we could. We would even doctor the baby's daily report sheets to add in feedings and diaperings to fool the parents.

We were not providing a safe environment. The state safety and health regulations were the first to go when crunched for time, like mixing the bleach solution daily and washing the baby's hands after diapering (have you ever tried to diaper a baby while watching 7 more at the same time? It's chaos).

My center had no way of calling the front desk when we needed to take a bathroom break, unlike other centers I've worked at. The solution was to just let employees to take them when they wanted them without substituting in a staff member. I was frequently left to care for eight babies by myself for upwards of 20 minutes. It was so dangerous! This was when the one year olds would injure themselves, because I simply couldn't be 8 places at once.

I lost count of all the gross violations of state law at my center. I would never send my own child to Childtime.

Remember when your MBA courses told you to engage your frontline workers? Do that! Listen to your employees' concerns and build your management strategies around them. Consider using LEAN and daily Kaizen practices to implement their ideas and to allow for some bottom-up policy changes.

Always obey state laws and regulations. You can't hide from the inspectors forever, and it's only a matter of time before an infant becomes seriously injured due to negligence.

6. Love it

Current Employee - Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Lead Teacher

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay is great! I loved my classroom. Its wasn't hard to get a raise. I started out at 8.00 then went to 9.83 in a year.

Cons

Coworkers, random lunch breaks, schedules always change.

Hard to work with.

7. A great place to work!

Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Teacher in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Childtime Learning Center part-time (more than a year)

Pros

They really cared about the kids, our school director was directly involved in learning plans and the lives of the families who attended our school, and the curriculum was engaging and age appropriate.

Cons

There was little opportunity for advancement in the company, but otherwise it was one of the very best places I have every worked and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in early childhood education.

8. assistant teacher

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher
    Current Employee - Assistant Teacher

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center part-time (less than a year)

Pros

awesome and supportive administration. adorable kids. friendly atmosphere

Cons

not a lucrative field, very little room to move up the ladder, not much possibility for wage increase

be more attuned to poor employee performance and react accordingly

9. It was just a job.

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Childtime Learning Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was very beneficial to work get because at the time I had two small children and it saved a lot of money on my child care. I wad able to make lifetime friends. Not just coworkers but life long relationships with parents and their children as well.

Cons

I believe they set their expectations to high fire this type of job. The hours were crazy and everyday I souks have to take a 2 hr lunch break and clock out 2 hrs after returning. The curriculum for the infant room wad horrid. Fir a sensory activity they once suggested letting the babies play with a plastic bag. I think that right theft is enough said and should speak volumes about the curriculum. Also the lady was not near by enough commendation for the hard work that had to be done.

I think you all should raise the path. These people work to hard and get paid next to nothing. Sine Pele were there because of the childcare discounts. But now days it is pointless to work there for the benefit of cheaper child care. And the benefits package was no good. I went without medical health benefits because it was to high and just not good at all.

10. Great experience!

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Sugar Land, TX
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Sugar Land, TX

I worked at Childtime Learning Center part-time

Pros

I greatly enjoyed my time working at Childtime Learning Center in Sugar Land, TX. The Assistant Principal, who creates the weekly schedule, is very flexible with each employee's schedule according to their individual needs. If you need time off, make sure to let them know ahead of time, and they will most probably accommodate your needs! The work itself can be stresfull, depending on how many kids you have, but it is overall very rewarding work! I was paid fairly well for my experience! It was a great opportunity to work with children! I learned a lot with regards to my own teaching and caring styles, in addition to learning about how a daycare/school runs.

Cons

I came onto the job towards the end of the school year. Because of that, I do not feel like I was properly trained, due to the business of the company during the time I started the job.

Unfair

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Childtime Learning Center full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The kids and the parents are so nice. The fast paced environment.

Cons

Schedule, there's never a set schedule. I get three hour breaks somedays because they don't want to hire new people to help me with my room, and I can't go over 40 hours so they send me on a break a total of 15 hours weekly. You are basically asked to bend backwards for the company but no days off or sick days are guaranteed. They always end up asking you to come in and if you don't then they punish you without a break, so working 11 hour days with no break whatsoever. Communication lacks. They fail to please their employees with something as simple as a potty break, you literally have to beg to use the restroom or nobody will show up to take over your class. They will make up their own rules on the regular so if you have any doubts look up the handbook or your state laws. Their ratios always change and it always ends up being some crazy odd number that they pulled out of nowhere. I could go on forever with cons.

No favoritism. Be fair. Appreciation is needed.

Childtime Learning Center Photos