Chili's

Chili's Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Chili's President Wyman Roberts

Wyman Roberts

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, will always try to work with you (in 40 reviews)

• Staff are mostly friendly and mostly flexible hours (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, loosing too many of company's biggest fans over the last few years (in 16 reviews)

• Management quality of life is horrendous (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Not Corporate

Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) Chelsea, MA

ProsFun place to work, great employees, good foodcxvcv dsdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf sdfsdf

ConsSome management needs to be replaced .

Great company to work for... they just dont admire there hard working employees

Server (Current Employee) Thomaston, GA

ProsGood money, great co-workers, handles problems effectively

Consi cant speak on every chilis but 0890 is horrible at moving people up unless you snitch on people or brown nose the hell out of the managers. They are not caring when it comes to emergencies and honestly i think they run a bad business when it comes to putting in your two weeks, your better off walking out then trying to work a two weeks. They managers never write up bar tenders or back of house but love to write servers up if someone is wrong with food or bar drinks take too long. BTW bar drinks at chilis average 10-15 minutes

Advice to Senior ManagementMove up the servers that are knowledgeable. Don't make a server a trainer if they cant even close the restaurant by them selves. and be more sympathetic when it comes to family issues instead of acting like you dont give a flip. oh and my advice to corporate tell managers to quit letting certain servers dont their own voids and comps and making other servers wait 20 minutes. oh and get off your butts at 0890 and do your job!

Under-staffed, unclean, and complete disregard for employee morale

Server/Waiter (Current Employee) Oxnard, CA

ProsDue to being under-staffed you would get many tables every night and if you didn't end up in the weeds from having to bus your tables, run food, take orders, refill beverages, make sure the cooks haven't forgot about your food, make sure the QA isn't struggling, make sure the host isn't in a jam, or etc. then you can make some good money.

ConsWhere do I start? Under-staffed. I was at the busiest location in our area. We had no bussers, no food runners, 2 servers to a 10 table zone, and were required to run food, bus our own tables and others that we passed in route to the kitchen, and 1-2 hosts. They need 2 hosts yet no bussers?

Now, I don't like using the phrase 'poor management', but I am a business owner myself and common sense is not that hard to grasp. Yet, at the Chili's in Oxnard it seemed like it was. For instance, because our store was the busiest we ended up having the most comps every night. Over $100 in compensations on average, sometimes worse. Now if we would have had a busser on for, say 4 hrs, that would have been $32 in hourly wage. If the servers were not running around with their heads cut off, MAYBE the food compensations wouldn't have been near as high. Just some advice.

Here is the other instance, and I tried to collaborate with management to fix this issue and didn't receive any support. On weekdays there were 7-8 servers on. From left to the right side of the store there were 3 zones. We'll just number them from left to right 1-3. So in zone 1 there were 3 servers, zone 2 there were 2 severs, and in zone 3 there were 3 servers.

ZONE 1 ZONE 2 ZONE 3
    1 2 3 1 2 1 2 3

As you can see I have showed the zones with the # of servers in each zone. Now at EVERY other restaurant I've worked for you would give each server in Zone 1 a table then move to zone 2. Then seat every server in zone 2 with a table and move to zone 3. Then sit every server in zone 3 with a table and move back to zone 1. Simple right?

Well, not at Chili's in Oxnard. For some reason they felt the need to complicate this easy system that even the Chili's I worked for in Michigan used.

How did the Chili's in Oxnard do it? They decided to train their host to sit the zone with one table and then move to the next. So they would seat 1 server in zone 1 and move to zone 2. Then seat 1 server in Zone 2 and move to zone 3. Then seat one server in zone 3 and move back to zone 1.

Now using the chart the way I have it set up above, use that rotation. Mark an X for server 1 under zone 1 then move to 2 and put an X under server 1 and move to zone 3 and put an X under server 1 and then move back to zone 1 and put an X under server 2 then to zone 2 and put an x under server 2 then............ you get it, just continue on. As you get further down the rotation you will see that zone 2 with only 2 servers ends up having 5-6 tables per server and zone 1 and 3 only have 3-4 tables a server. This system would only work if there were an equal amount of servers in every zone.

This jams the kitchen and it jams the entire restaurant up. If zone 1 is getting tables that quickly, they're running back and forth to the computer sending orders back. Then their zone fills up quickly and after they put all the food in they are pretty much assisting a ton of guests at their tables. The entire time zones 1 and 2 are looking at zone 1 saying, "Why are you guys so busy? We only have a few tables. Then they get slammed because all of our tables are full.

It just doesn't work and I tried to consul management about it. Offered resolution. You would think management would appreciate someone who cares so much. NO! Instead they took offence to it and I was fired the next day for a customer complaint. I had never had a customer complain before (2+ years) and was just "let go". The same manager I discussed my thought on the seating rotation with, is the same who terminated my employment. Coincidence? Either way, the reason was illegitimate and I ended up collecting unemployment for the next 7 months because of it.

Which brings me to the way the company handles employee relations. TERRIBLE. I told them exactly what happened. They confirmed that managements story matched mine. Yet still, after 2+ years of getting commended by guests (all documented through the online GEM survey system) repeatedly and leading the store in GEM, being on time 100%, NEVER calling off, and going above and beyond for the store, I was still terminated. All I got as a response from the HR department was "We can't have guests complaining."

Now me, as an employer myself, would use my common sense and would definitely give the person that's worked for me for the last 2 years without any issues, the benefit of the doubt. I didn't get that. So in my experience the company cares more about guests, whose intention before they walked in the door was to be rude and start problems (there are people like this). Obviously if this had been a repeated issue then step should have been taken in the termination process. BUT, it was the 1st time in 2 years.

All in all I hope Chili's in Oxnard get there act together. I liked working at the Chili's in Troy, MI and was very shocked when I arrived at the Chili's in Oxnard. The CEO should seriously look at how many employees are cycled in and out of that restaurant. Then evaluate the "numbers", like profits compared to food compensations. Something is VERY wrong with this location.

I think Chili's can have a bright future IF they start valuing their employees. I like the brand and I felt proud to represent it. It's a shame the corporation doesn't look at valuable employees the same way.

Advice to Senior ManagementBegin to treat your employees like they matter. They are the backbone of your company. I guess servers are a dime a dozen, so we can be treated however you want to treat us.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved it

Server (Former Employee) Eagle Pass, TX

ProsManagers are very flexible and willing to work with your schedule. If you are outgoing and treat your customers well, tips are really good!! Great environment!

ConsThe night shifts can be done pretty late. Not all customers are nice and respectful.

Used to be a better company to work for

Server/Waiter (Current Employee) Frisco, TX

Prosquick money and easy job

Consdealing in low level food service and low ticket prices, so lower tips than other restaurants

Advice to Senior Managementnot much they can do, its corporate calling all the shots

Lack of Focus

ProsHourly Employees and Peers are phenomenal.

ConsLack of Focus on Sales Building and Guests happiness. Too much bottom line thinking.

general manager

General Manager (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prosyou get free food when you work

Conslow compensation and low quality of life. Always short staffed on management levels. This franchise leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of your people both monetarily and with quality of life and you will see a dramatic increase in your loyalty from staff

great place to work

Prosa great place to work

Consa great place to work

Perfect Starting Server Job

ProsGain great experience and training if you want to advance in the restaurant industry.

ConsHard work and stressful sometimes, but well worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work!

Very beneficial learning experience in the corporate food industry

Server, Quality Insurance, Key (Former Employee) Jonesboro, AR

ProsI enjoyed the stability and always having answer to any question. The pos systems had a button for everything and was very organized and easy to grasp. If you're a responsible employee it's easy to move up.

ConsIt was hard to find good employees to stick around considering it was a college town. Managers don't seem to last long. I saw a lot of them get fired in abrupt ways. I worked there for almost 5 years and when I left there were no managers there that had been there since they opened. Managers work long hours and rarely got to see their children.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep staff excited to come to work. Set goals and give prizes. Stay on them about sales in a positive way. If you're going to ask someone to do something make sure you are capable of doing it. Micromanagement made employees irate. Be respectful and try to mentor them into moving up with Brinker. That kept a lot of employees around.

Worked for Chili's? Contribute to the Community!