Chili's Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. bartender

Pros

Chili's has a great and fun atmosphere. Awesome team work environment and management that really cares and helps you out

Cons

Bussing your own tables.sucks. I think it looks bad having your server clean up dirty dishes. I'd rather have a busier even if it means higher tip out

2. General Manager

Pros

You can run business as your own

Cons

Losing Culture of people to that of focusing on just money

3. Good place to work

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Chili's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work during college. I was paid above average for a casual dining server

Cons

Sometimes money isn't great and it is very unreliable. Some managers act like children and have favorites like it is high school.

Advice to Management

Managers need to be better trained and act more professional. Don't over schedule the same servers again and again and turnover won't be so high.

5. bar manager

Former Employee - Kitchen Manager/Bar Manager in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Kitchen Manager/Bar Manager in Frisco, TX

I worked at Chili's (More than 3 years)

Pros

solid feedback and support from the multi-unit manager until he was let go for political reasons

Cons

tremendous politics that did not allow the operators to manage the units. HR politics swayed decisions that had nothing to do with operations.

Advice to Management

let operators do their jobs and stop letting the squeaky wheels get the grease, when your best performers just want to work, do the right thing, build the business, have fun and not be involved in the nonsense that is in our faces daily.

6. Just interviewed

Pros

Friendly staff and helpful and nice.. the place was clean

Cons

None so far absolutely no problems

Advice to Management

None. not really a real review yet since i just got offered the job

7. Good Culture

Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Server/Bartender in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Chili's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Despite some belief, the company treats their employees well. Can be a fun atmosphere, too.

Cons

Cut jobs over the years causing more and more work for servers for the same pay rate. Low base pay - tipped minimum wage.

8. Great coworkers and managers, but it was horribly understaffed and there was no money to be made.

Former Employee - Server in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Humble, TX

I worked at Chili's part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hired me on the spot, awesome coworkers and management, comfortable uniforms, decent training program, flexible hours especially since you were allowed to pay other servers to cover your shift, good food for the price. I'm sure this would be a great server job at a good location.

Cons

Horribly understaffed, which causes everyone to become overwhelmed. No bussers which meant that servers and hosts were required to bus tables ourselves, which made an already stressful job even harder, and it was impossible to keep the restaurant clean. Customers at this location were terrible; I rarely made more than $60 per night, and I had multiple tables walk out on their tabs in the 3 months that I was there. There were no breaks unless you were working a double, but that's the case with most restaurants. Also, the restaurant's dish washing equipment did not work well and dishes often came back dirty.

Advice to Management

Hire bussers! Most servers would gladly tip out an extra $10 at the end of the night in favor of clean tables. I know this is up to management at a hire level than the restaurants themselves, but seriously, it would be a lifesaver.

9. manaager

Former Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in Buffalo, NY

I worked at Chili's full-time

Pros

Good company to work for. they put employees first

Cons

like every job you got get dirty

10. Decent

I have been working at Chili's part-time

Pros

Company treats its employees like people

Cons

its the restaurant business and customers can get upset real fast

11. Incompetent Management

Former Employee - Server in Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Server in Wayne, PA

I worked at Chili's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The menu changes slightly every season, making it harder for servers to become bored with their workplace. I never participated in their healthcare plan, but from what I read (I was offered enrollment) there are definitely some good/competitive healthcare benefits. Coworkers at my location (Wayne, PA) were by far the best part of the job. Even after leaving, I still keep in touch with almost all of them.

Cons

Perhaps it was just the location in particular, but management was extremely poor. The turnover rate for managers was high, and as a server it definitely kept you on your toes -- and not in a good way. Some of the managers developed negative attitudes towards working there (the second they started their shift you could tell they did not want to be there) and were insanely incompetent; many of them did not understand the idea of leaving their personal life behind prior to coming into work and displayed clear favoritism towards particular employees. I experienced several instances of sexual harassment on part of the kitchen staff, and even after bringing it up to a manager, said manager did nothing to remedy the situation or even attempt to inform the GM (I did not feel comfortable discussing the situation personally with the GM). From what I understand now after speaking to former coworkers at the location, it appears that management is being cleaned up by the regional director (who, by the way, is actually fantastic at his job and probably the only superior I miss), so hopefully things will improve in the future.

Advice to Management

Learn how to give clear direction and provide equal expectations (regardless of favoritism and/or personal relationships) to ALL employees. Take your job more seriously, and understand that subordinates will learn from your example. If you display a poor work ethic, you can expect your staff to lack any respect for you and your position, and the restaurant will continue to function in absolute chaos. Most importantly, never -- NEVER -- trash talk subordinates in front of other subordinates. It breeds distrust among employees and an uncomfortable working environment. Every manager at this location during my time there was guilty of such trash talk. It is highly unprofessional, notwithstanding immature.

RSS Feed </> Embed