Chili's

Updated November 26, 2014
3.3

Chili's President Wyman Roberts
Wyman Roberts

Pros
  • Great management, flexible schedule with good support from managers (in 47 reviews)

• Scheduling is flexible and you have the potential to earn good money (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • long hours, loosing too many of company's biggest fans over the last few years (in 21 reviews)

• ZERO quality of life for managers and key hourly (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

It's a job. An insecure one, but a job.

Former Employee - Server in Apopka, FL
    Former Employee - Server in Apopka, FL

I worked at Chili's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You make money based on how well your customer service skills are, as is with any hospitality job. There are small incentive programs that make work more fun, and the service staff is comprised of very awesome people. I would recommend this job to someone that has previous hospitality experience.

Cons

Poor training. New hires with minimal to no hospitality experience never made it longer than two months. The training program appears to have been designed thoughtfully with a fun and humorous tone to help new hires, but becomes complex and confusing, making it difficult for new hires to grasp, especially when it is administered by unconcerned servers/ bartenders that want to rush through the steps and get back to their jobs. Also, the menu is constantly changing, constantly making the older menus and training guides outdated. This makes it confusing for a new hire who is learning about old sandwiches that are not on the menu anymore, instead of learning about the new ones that are. Management seems to be more involved with checking on tables for negativity to throw at the employees, than spending time with them engaging, encouraging, teaching, training, and developing. Also, management is quick to let employees go without necessary documentation (i.e. counseling, written notices, suspension, etc.) which may hurt one day when you find an employee intelligent and determined enough to seek legal advice about being improperly terminated after one year of employment without any prior counseling.

Become more involved with your staff and ensure that training is completely understood by new hires, and everyone is in sync with current menu items and promotions, without being too critical if they don't know everything on the second day. Remember, you're going to be questionable and stressed out jumping out of a plane, if you're not completely sure of how to use the parachute.

Experience depends entirely on local managing team

Former Employee - Food Server in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Food Server in Littleton, CO

I worked at Chili's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun work environment
    Many opportunities to make new friends with co-workers

Cons

I worked as a host for almost a year before being moved up to a To-Go server and eventually a regular Server
    My hard work and extra effort was extremely overlooked
    New management came in and promoted everybody- even those who were not hard workers or very recently hired

Move up employees that DESERVE it

It's a race

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Server/Bartender in San Diego, CA

I worked at Chili's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always a contest of some type going on which allows you to win cash or prizes. Allows you to better yourself

Cons

Constantly want you to upscale EVERYTHING even if the guest it's interested. Start charging for chips. Guest actually will eat five baskets if you give them five

Be more involved, be open to listen what people say that are actually in the trenches

Good atmosphere, dishonest managers

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Chili's

Pros

Good shifts, decent training for new servers, good discount on food, and good benefits.

Cons

Managers do not know how to manage, understaffed and over worked, not the greatest communication between management and workers.

I just started about two weeks ago and I can honestly already say I love my job!

Current Employee - Hostess in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Hostess in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Chili's part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management, great environment. Most of my coworkers are extremely friendly and we work great as a team. Since I've started, we've been pretty busy almost every day that I work so I'm not easily bored. The food is delicious and the customers are super friendly!

Cons

servers take forever to bus their tables, so it makes the hosts job harder. A couple of my fellow hostesses are lazy and just stand at the host stand and never actually seat customers or wipe off tables so I'm stuck running around the restaurant trying to seat loads of customers on my own.

Make sure that all employees are doing an equal share of work throughout the day/night so that all the pressure to keep up with the crowd isn't on one single person.

I love working for Chili's

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager

I have been working at Chili's full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They are flexible on scheduling. Always get two weeks vacation. Benefits are there if you want them. All around solid company.

Cons

Long hours are rough minimum 50 hour work week for management. If you have a day you need to leave early they make you make up the hours. Insurance is really expensive.

Bring some quality of life initiatives back!

Chilis

Former Employee - FOH Manager in Abilene, TX
    Former Employee - FOH Manager in Abilene, TX

I worked at Chili's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great culture! Great place to work

Cons

Hours didn't work when I had a kiddo and my husband was out of town a lot. Not Chilis fault just my personal situation

Na

Great place to work while in high school/college

Current Employee - Food Server in Greenwood, SC
    Current Employee - Food Server in Greenwood, SC

I have been working at Chili's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

flexible schedule, outgoing staff, easy money

Cons

tiring, working late hours, dealing with dirty dishes/people's food

Server

Former Employee - Food Server in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Food Server in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Chili's full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Food is always CONSISTENT AND TIMELY

Cons

People that come in usually don't tip well

Pay attention to your staff

easy money but unstable

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Chili's part-time (more than an year)

Pros

great environment, easy money and helps gain better communication skills.

Cons

if you are not patient and can not handle multi-taking and dealing with unhappy costumers then this is not the job for you

Chili's Photos